Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liars at Navteq

• 08-07-2006 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Last November it was on the news that Navteq travelled every road in the country for sat nav. I got my sat nav now in July, 7 months on and every road is certainly not on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I bought AA Navigator when it came out here recently, used it for a couple of weeks and then requested a refund (which I got).

Large parts of west Dublin were not mapped!
    Very dissapointed with AA Navigator, but will try another Navteq based program as I think the problem was 90% AA Navigator's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I bought AA Navigator when it came out here recently
    Is that the very latest version that you bought ?
    You know they brought out a new one about 4 weeks ago with supposedly very good Irish road coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

By the way Skyuser.

Did it say on the version you bought that it had full Irish coverage ?

Navteq probably did map most of the Irish roads, that doesn't mean they have released the maps yet - Geographical Information Systems are pretty complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Skyuser: Just because you bought a GPS device recently does not mean that the maps on the device are recent. Which device did you buy, what version of the Navteq maps did it come with and which roads are missing?

A bit more info is required, before you start calling them liars.

This crowd use NavTeq maps, and I have to say, I think the coverage is excellent: http://www.uk.map24.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

This crowd use NavTeq maps, and I have to say, I think the coverage is excellent: http://www.uk.map24.com/
    Ok that coverage it better than mine. Mine is version 8 on Garmin i3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

deadl0ck wrote:
    Is that the very latest version that you bought ?
    You know they brought out a new one about 4 weeks ago with supposedly very good Irish road coverage

Bought it in May, described as covering 100% of all public roads in Ireland and the U.K.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Skyuser wrote:
    If it's a Garmin, you have to wait for CityNavigator V9 which will be available in early 2007 and features the NavTeq complete coverage of Ireland. The best thing you can do is not register your unit on the Garmin website, then when v9 becomes available, you will get a free upgrade. When you buy a Garmin GPSR you are entitled to a free upgrade if you bought that unit after the next version of the mapping became available (dates based on when you register the unit online). Otherwise it's $75 for the upgrade..

By the way, Garmin have a map viewer on their website, so you can check the detail levels. Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

http://www.gpsireland.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=2

Have a read of that article in relation to coverage, currently garmin are on V8 see the map here of what is covered in this version:
    http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapgen/webmap.cgi?p=9502721&l=0&u=1&v=0&z=2&x=175&y=175&w=480&h=360&d=0&rz=0&k=1&sc=1

I believe it is only down to primary roads not secondary outside of major towns. In Sept Garmin are due to release version 9 which will hopefully be more extensive with secondary roads. But this will probably take a few months to get into their devices in the shops. But that is a great idea on how to get the free upgrade it makes sense as the old merchandise in the shops will be out of date, so just don't register and pretend ya just bought it does anyone know for sure if that works as my dad is thinking of getting a nuvi but I told him to hold off but if he can get a free upgrade I will tell him to head off and get it.

In the first link above it mentions the government have no process to inform navteq of changes to there roads so it would be easy for the road network to change and navteq not know, they will just need to keep resurveying, I guess they could go seeking the info from the relevant authroties.

It would seem they require your original sales receipt and if it falls after the release of the most recent upgrade you get a free upgrade but only it the dates are in line so looks like it doesn't matter if you register or not as they want the proof of purchase with a date on the receipt. I am going to tell my dad to wait to at least until Sept or there release date as it more than likely won't reach the shops in Ireland in the receivers until well after that.
    Have a read of the coupon they ask you to send them before they mail you the DVD containing the maps.
    http://www.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentpromotions/pdfs/mgEuropev8coupon.pdf

Skyuser wrote:
    Comparing some areas on map24 and garmins map look identical similar areas are missing. Version 8 goes to primary/national roads level, v9 will hopefully go to secondary roads level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

We sell Garmin units here at work. I've got a Nuvi 360 myself, using City Navigator 8. Same mapping as last year. Navteq have indeed finished mapping Ireland, but what the OP doesn't realise is that Navteq don't create maps for different units, that's down to the manufacturers. Navteq have given the raw data to Garmin, Bendix King, TomTom, etc, and it's up to them to create their new Maps, package, and distribute.

Garmin will have the first units preloaded for sale in late September. The updates will be available as City Navigator v9 about November.

What is the difference between MetroGuide Europe and City Navigator Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

I have navteq Q1 2006 maps on my gps which i bought recently and I can confirm that there is 100% coverage for Eire with this release.In fact this latest map version has to be seen to be believed.
    I was in Galway today and demonstrated the coverage to a few people who use GPS and they could not believe the coverage.Navteq have even mapped cul de sac locations.Navteq use townlands (45,000 in fact )as map references so as you driving along the screen displays the different townlands as you drive thru them.Only slight downside is the spelling and therefore when you search for a location it may not return a result if you spell it differently to the system.As an example i entered mc hugh avenue in Galway and it could not find it.I then had to find it by locating it on the map and discovered it was there as
    mchugh avenue...........:)

the level of detail with Q1 2006 is what we have been waiting for and if you get to see it in action you`ll agree.its so good ,believe me.

if you need to know of obscure locations are on it before you buy let me know and i`ll check for you.

the new m4 toll is on these so that will give you an idea of how up to date they are.if you check out mapquest site here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=IE&addtohistory=&city=
    and zoom in to ireland,this will give you an idea.

Eirlink

eirlink wrote:
    if you need to know of obscure locations are on it before you buy let me know and i`ll check for you.
    Eirlink

Is Kilteel on the map between N7 and N81 on the way to punchestown? According to V8 on the Garmin site it is not:
    Garmin V8 Map Coverage

Colly

kilteel IS on it and available via search on software.It is sitting due southwest of Foxcovert lane!also shows kilteel upper and lower if your interested.

eirlink

eirlink wrote:
    Colly

kilteel IS on it and available via search on software.It is sitting due southwest of Foxcovert lane!also shows kilteel upper and lower if your interested.

eirlink
    What do ya have what is the name of your device? I wonder why it is not on the map on the garmin site which is the Version 8 map coverage. Do they do small updates from time to time and then they are classing version 9 as a bigger update. Why would you refer mapquest for map details if mapquest is nothing to do with garmin. Kilteel is not on the garmin map so how can it be on your receiver unless the map is out of date or I am looking in the wrong place.

Colly wrote:
    What do ya have what is the name of your device? I wonder why it is not on the map on the garmin site which is the Version 8 map coverage. Do they do small updates from time to time and then they are classing version 9 as a bigger update. Why would you refer mapquest for map details if mapquest is nothing to do with garmin. Kilteel is not on the garmin map so how can it be on your receiver unless the map is out of date or I am looking in the wrong place.

I am suggesting mapquest as an example of the level of map detail that Navteq CAN SUPPLY under licence to gps manafacturers,Garmin included,if they are needed.The maps on the mapquest site are Navteq ones which are licenced to mapquest.If any gps equipment manafacturer wishes to supply satnav mapping on their products they must source maps from somewhere;Navteq or TeleAtlas are examples of who these maps can be got from.At this point they effectively buy a version from Navteq under licence...This is NOT necessarily the LATEST version which they buy and this is very important to know!

Garmin source their maps in a similar fashion as outlined above but I dont use Garmin products so i am not familiar with who supplies maps to them.I can only tell you that Navteq have the very latest maps for Ireland available RIGHT NOW, to whatever handheld/gps manafacturer wishes to purchase the licence to use them.

I hope this goes some way to helping

eirlink wrote:
    I am suggesting mapquest as an example of the level of map detail that Navteq CAN SUPPLY under licence to gps manafacturers,Garmin included,if they are needed.The maps on the mapquest site are Navteq ones which are licenced to mapquest.If any gps equipment manafacturer wishes to supply satnav mapping on their products they must source maps from somewhere;Navteq or TeleAtlas are examples of who these maps can be got from.At this point they effectively buy a version from Navteq under licence...This is NOT necessarily the LATEST version which they buy and this is very important to know!

Garmin source their maps in a similar fashion as outlined above but I dont use Garmin products so i am not familiar with who supplies maps to them.I can only tell you that Navteq have the very latest maps for Ireland available RIGHT NOW, to whatever handheld/gps manafacturer wishes to purchase the licence to use them.

I hope this goes some way to helping

Thanks
    Garmin use navteq I heard the same that they are best for Ireland. I presume you are using a unit which is using the navteq most maps which are 100% I dont believe Garmin are releasing this on their systems until Sept/Oct which I am prepared to wait for as I have my eye on the nuvi (very slim and pocket portable) I heard the AA navigator is using the 100% coverage maps like you are seeing. I believe other companies are going to be releasing 100% coverage of Ireland maps over the coming months which will make many other devices open to the Irish market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

The Mapquest NavTeq maps are stunning.

Just had a look around Ennis, Co.Clare and all the townlands are there.

Amazing stuff.

Have just upgraded the car's SatNav maps but the next DVD update is due in December with the Ireland maps.

kevmac wrote:

Have just upgraded the car's SatNav maps but the next DVD update is due in December with the Ireland maps.

what maps are on the upgrade you just got? are they navteq or teleatlas?

• Advertisement

90% of car SatNavs run Navteq data because car makers don't factor in the premium cost of getting their maps.

Whereas in the budget end of the market, in handheld GPS units, price is everything so you find TeleAtlas data being used in Navman etc.

As you are probably aware TeleAtlas are rubbish for Ireland - I ditched my Navman iCN 630 after Navman switched to Teleatlas.

I have a Subaru Legacy with Subaru SatNav (Q2 2005) (it is actually a Kenwood/Denso OEM unit that Land Rover and Jaguar also use).

Subaru bring out a new map DVD every December so the next update will have the 100% Ireland maps.

kevmac wrote:
    90% of car SatNavs run Navteq data because car makers don't factor in the premium cost of getting their maps.

Whereas in the budget end of the market, in handheld GPS units, price is everything so you find TeleAtlas data being used in Navman etc.

As you are probably aware TeleAtlas are rubbish for Ireland - I ditched my Navman iCN 630 after Navman switched to Teleatlas.

I have a Subaru Legacy with Subaru SatNav (Q2 2005) (it is actually a Kenwood/Denso OEM unit that Land Rover and Jaguar also use).

Subaru bring out a new map DVD every December so the next update will have the 100% Ireland maps.

you will enjoy the update as the detail is indeed excellent,and thats a nice setup you have as well.safe driving.(which model head unit BTW? is it DV3200)

Correct. DV3200 in the glovebox.

Just been delving into the new Ireland maps on Mapquest.

Absolutley amazing stuff.

Navteq need to be congratulated.

Just throwing towns I know over the island into Mapquest and each time they have every townland surrounding it.

Cannot wait to get updated DVD for car.

Advertisement