Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLi and all that jazz

Options
  • 08-07-2006 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok i've got a BFG 6800 Ultra 256MB at the mo, and i'm thinking about just looking for a second hand 6800 Ultra as it would be the cheapest upgrade to tide me over until I upgrade to DX10.

Just a few questions:
    How do I know what games support SLi, is there a list or do all games released since SLi was introduced support it now?
    Do i need to get a card by the same manufacturer? (i.e BFG) or can I use any 6800 Ultra 256MB?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

FEAR and Quake 4 support SLi and i dont think it has to be the same manufacturer, not 100% though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 JakTheHat

Ive never had any problems with any games using sli. As for mixing different cards. I think it just has to be the same Gpu and ram. Not absolutely certain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I went SLi recently with 2 of the same cards.

All games support it in one way or another, if it doesnt use the global driver or tweak your own settings.

Its worth in that i got both cards for 90 quid on ebay, but the results are well worth it.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ya, read that same cards will work from different manufacturer but i think you have to clock them the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The cards have to have the same Core ie Nv40/42 bit of a scam but if you can source them cheap enough its worth it.

Ram etc doesnt matter much but getting identical cards is possibly the best idea.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

How do i check what my core is?
    Also, from reading around it seems that SLi really only shows benefits for keeping frame rates steady when the screen res is increased. I'm using a TFT which at max gets to 1280x1024, will i see much improvement in framerates if i can't use any higher resolutions?

EDIT: Found this site which has most of the answers. Although I still would like to know how to find out which revision my core is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I'm sure Rivatuner would be able to tell you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Here, saw it in a mag other day. Might help.
    http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2158647/dual-graphics-power
    Dl the graphics card tables pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

KdjaC wrote:
    I went SLi recently with 2 of the same cards.

All games support it in one way or another, if it doesnt use the global driver or tweak your own settings.

Its worth in that i got both cards for 90 quid on ebay, but the results are well worth it.

kdjac

ive been using sli and some games do have issues
    fear is one of them... will not run in sli with 2x 7900gts with latest drivers
    and older games you have to switch it off

Advertisement