Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Engines (spin off of Prius thread)

Options
  • 08-07-2006 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

I've searched for the quote but can't find it :

Lexus originally said they would not put a diesel engine in one of their car's until they had perfected diesel technology beyond the levels of any competitor.

They now present us with the IS220d which means it is the world's best diesel engine (as the people at Lexus rarely break their promises).

The good news is that for those who can't afford the €44k for the IS they can buy it in the Avensis mid-top end Luna for €35k (ex works- still it's going to be €8k cheaper).

Why do Toyota not offer all engines on all specs. That bugs me!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ninty9er wrote:

Lexus originally said they would not put a diesel engine in one of their car's until they had perfected diesel technology beyond the levels of any competitor.

They now present us with the IS220d which means it is the world's best diesel engine (as the people at Lexus rarely break their promises).

The good news is that for those who can't afford the €44k for the IS they can buy it in the Avensis mid-top end Luna for €35k (ex works- still it's going to be €8k cheaper).

The same can be said of Audi/VW:

The Passat 2.0 TDi 170bhp Sportline costs €39k where as the similar equipped A4 Sport 2.0 TDi 170bhp costs €45k. Both cars made by the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

The same can be said of Audi/VW:

The Passat 2.0 TDi 170bhp Sportline costs €39k where as the similar equipped A4 Sport 2.0 TDi 170bhp costs €45k. Both cars made by the same company.

Does it just not prove that we the consumer are all ass holes,afterall we buy the dearer version on the assumption that it's better.In other words they do because they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ninty9er wrote:

They now present us with the IS220d which means it is the world's best diesel engine (as the people at Lexus rarely break their promises)

Toyota probably has the best marketing department in the world :D

In general one should never believe anything a marketing department tells one

In other words, don't be so fucking gullible :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

unkel wrote:
    Toyota probably has the best marketing department in the world :D

In general one should never believe anything a marketing department tells one

In other words, don't be so fucking gullible :p

Just goes to show some people can't read. I said that the people at Lexus rarely break their promises. find me an example of where they have.

Volkswagen have easily one of the wors't diesel engines on the market in their 1.9 90bhp so don't go telling us all here that the Europeans make the best diesels

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ninty9er wrote:

You can also get this engine in the RAV4 and Corolla Verso (in 135bhp form)

There is a good reason why Toyota don't offer all engines with all specs, a low spec high powered Avensis wouldn't sell. How many Mk4 Golf 2.0 petrol base models have you seen (They were available)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Press reports on that IS diesel are not that complimentary.

I've read that the 2.2 Honda unit is the cutting edge for smoothness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I read a report of it which said it was very slow to rev, which is interesting.

Avensis reviews of it seem exceptionally positive though.

Does the honda not have a reputation for being very thirsty?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not sure tbh. Not much point in having a revvy smooth, but thirsty diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Ditto...the Honda 2.2 ICTDI is apparently the best out there a the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My ould fella has an '06 accord with the 2.2 iCTDI, and he's getting excellent mileage and power out of it. Currently getting about 1100km out of a full tank, which is ~60 litres. Roughly about 51-52mpg.

• Advertisement

I think the British motoring press will never rank a Lexus higher than the equivelant BMW or Audi, no matter what they're like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    I think the British motoring press will never rank a Lexus higher than the equivelant BMW or Audi, no matter what they're like.

Nope, they won't. Perfect jap cars will always lack the "je ne sais quois!"

maidhc wrote:
    Nope, they won't. Perfect jap cars will always lack the "je ne sais quois!"

or "Ich weiß nicht, was" I find the British press to be terribly critical of the Japanese manufacturers, despite the fact that Honda, Toyota and Nissan are the major players in the "British" motor industry.

I wonder what they'd do if Toyota, Honda & Nissan did a Peugeot on it and got lost

ninty9er wrote:
    Just goes to show some people can't read

:rolleyes:

You present something as "the truth" because the source it came from is usually reliable in your opinion. Sorry, but I would take anything claimed by any manufacturer about its own products with a large pinch of salt

Didn't quote the source as infallable, just their products in general

ninty9er wrote:
    Didn't quote the source as infallable

I agree that you didn't. But posting something like:
    ninty9er wrote:
    They now present us with the IS220d which means it is the world's best diesel engine

Leaves a taste called gullible in my mouth. I understand that you might be a fan of Toyota. Other people might be a fan of another make. My point is that if I were a fan of make X, I would still completely ignore the truth value of what make X themselves have to say about their products. They would hardly be objective now, would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

the 2 liter diesel engine in the volvo s40 is not bad too... oodles of power,
    nice and pokey,

EIN wrote:
    the 2 liter diesel engine in the volvo s40 is not bad too... oodles of power,
    nice and pokey,

That's the same TDCI/HDI engine as is found in many Fords, Peugeots, Citroens, Mazdas, and Volvos.

Advertisement