Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So any news on any broadband companies raising the speeds again

• 08-07-2006 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

Its about time for another speed increase, i'm getting sick of 3mb/512kb

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I doubt there will be anything till early next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm actually quite happy with speeds, i'd prefer increase in cap and interleaving off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm actually surprised, we normally hear something from Eircom in terms of speed increases or price drops around March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

bk wrote:
    I'm actually surprised, we normally hear something from Eircom in terms of speed increases or price drops around March.
    Sure they only increased the speed and dropped the price last Feb/Mar.
    There are alot of lines struggling to handle the current speeds so bumping them up again won't do alot of people any favours. I'd say ADSL2+ will be the next upgrade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cremo wrote:
    i'm actually quite happy with speeds, i'd prefer increase in cap and interleaving off.

interleaving is off since the last upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

kaizersoze wrote:
    Sure they only increased the speed and dropped the price last Feb/Mar.
    There are alot of lines struggling to handle the current speeds so bumping them up again won't do alot of people any favours. I'd say ADSL2+ will be the next upgrade.

Yeah adsl 2 is in a couple of exchanges at the moment,, but only adds another km at the moment.. i heard it can go up t 20 km... according t a mate in Eircom its comreg that are holding up adsl2 going further..Anyone hear anything...?

JohnnieM wrote:
    Yeah adsl 2 is in a couple of exchanges at the moment,, but only adds another km at the moment.. i heard it can go up t 20 km... according t a mate in Eircom its comreg that are holding up adsl2 going further..Anyone hear anything...?
    Your mate in Eircom is talking through his a**e.:) Comreg is holding nothing up, the technology is. The theoretical max distance is 6-8km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Actually ye a cap increase would be nice even though im with BT and i don't think they care ifyou break the cap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya we had a really good run after digiweb released metro im hoping were in for another speed hike soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

JohnnieM wrote:
    If eircom is using repeaters, then it's on the cards. There's no reason why ComReg should oppose it that I can think of though... It simply repeats the existing frequencies. ADSL2+ tech is already used and it was up to eircom to design the frequency power and total spectrum used on its lines AFAIK.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote:
    interleaving is off since the last upgrade

not according to my router...

interleave.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's off if the line works without it. You need to be near the exchange.

Blaster99 wrote:
    It's off if the line works without it. You need to be near the exchange.

ahh right that would solve it so i'm about 1.5k away from it. still though get good speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

My line is barely able to handle the current speeds, if we were to get upgrades it would have to be to ADSL2+ as I doubt I am on my own when it comes to line condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

the uk is currently in the wave of an upgrade to adsl MAX .... according to google its the developed version of plain old r.adsl which can goto 8 megs .... it also has very advanced line speed features and seems to be more robust than the existing r.adsl technology ( ie operates better in some conditions were r.adsl would not ) ...

not sure if theres any distance benefit from it .. .does any one know much about it and if eircom are planning an assault on them dodgy lines with a technical upgrade whereby we dont have to buy new modems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I still have interleaving with Digiweb.

Pinging boards.ie [82.195.136.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.250:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 70ms, Maximum = 82ms, Average = 73ms

I'm within 1.5km definately.

Should I kick up a stink about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I still have interleaving with Digiweb.

Pinging boards.ie [82.195.136.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.250:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 70ms, Maximum = 82ms, Average = 73ms

I'm within 1.5km definately.

Should I kick up a stink about this?

If interleveing is on then its because your line is crap!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

1huge1 wrote:
    ya we had a really good run after digiweb released metro im hoping were in for another speed hike soon

I'm heading to the Imagine BB press conference tomorrow, where they claim to be bringing a "significant development" to market; God knows what that means; could be price, speed, cap or it may well be nothing at all.
    I wish I could live blog it, sadly that won't happen; either way it'll probably be on the usual sites by 1 tomorrow and if it is significant it might push the main players to match it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I have a 2meg line and i find the dl speed fine. I would rather the cap be incressed then giving me more dl speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Its about time for another speed increase, i'm getting sick of 3mb/512kb
    I get 32k on a good day on my lovely 56k modem, 14k on most, want to swap?/still sick of 3mb?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'd like a greater upload speed than my current 256k (2M down, esat bt), but then again I'm probably not supposed to be running Counter Strike servers from home! :D

Thing about the ISPs upgrading to ADSL2/2+ is that they'll have to make sure everyone has a compatible modem - which will cost A LOT for them.

I'd like a greater upload speed than my current 256k (2M down, esat bt), but then again I'm probably not supposed to be running Counter Strike servers from home! :D

Thing about the ISPs upgrading to ADSL2/2+ is that they'll have to make sure everyone has a compatible modem - which will cost A LOT for them.
    Pay for a higher package ya cheap skate. :p
    All the ISPs have been supplying ADSL2+ compatible modems for the last 2 years or more so the ammount of old ones wouldn't be huge. Even so, the old ones will work on an ADSL2+ line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

How many people connect to your CS server ?
    Do u leave it running 24/7 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

kaizersoze wrote:
    Pay for a higher package ya cheap skate. :p
    All the ISPs have been supplying ADSL2+ compatible modems for the last 2 years or more so the ammount of old ones wouldn't be huge. Even so, the old ones will work on an ADSL2+ line.

Have had DSl from BT for 18months and Ive only got a Zyxel 623.

I do know that for the last 6 months they have been sending out Zyxel 660.

The amount of people as a percentage of the overall DSL userbase cant be huge given anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Imagine have just released a free timed broadband product. (You pay per min after first 20 hours) and dropped their always-on 1mb product to €9.99 a month. It may start a priceware and speeds may also increase if some providers can't match price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

ah no not another timed broadband product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

1huge1 wrote:
    ah no not another timed broadband product

It's the same one but it's actually a bit better. Now for €35 you get line, unlimited calls and 20hrs BB. While unlimited BB would be far better, this is a good use of that awful, should be erased, timed thing.

Advertisement