Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPA to Traditional conversion

Options
  • 08-07-2006 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

hey i was just wondering is there a way u can convert your results to the traditional 1st or 2.1/2.2 and when we GPAers get our degrees what will be on them, both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MichaelaPS

According to the ucd website,
    3.8 - 4.2 = 1st class honours
    3.2 - 3.6 = 2nd class honours, grade 1
    2.6 - 3.0 = 2nd class honours, grade 2
    2.0 - 2.4 = Pass
    1.8 = marginal fail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

argh my gpa is 3.57.. so close!! that is if everything above 3.6 is 1st class honours, there doesnt seem to be a 3.7....

oh and i just noticed it was you Ed - hiya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

MichaelaPS wrote:
    According to the ucd website,
    3.8 - 4.2 = 1st class honours
    3.2 - 3.6 = 2nd class honours, grade 1
    2.6 - 3.0 = 2nd class honours, grade 2
    2.0 - 2.4 = Pass
    1.8 = marginal fail

Do you have a link for that? I think it's incorrect. Should be like this......

1st Class Honours = 70% to 100% = Grade points 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, 3.8, 4.0, 4.2
    2nd Class Honours, Grade I = 60% to 69% = Grade Points 2.8, 3.0
    2nd Class Honours, Grade II = 50% to 59% = Grade Points 2.4, 2.6
    Pass = 40% to 49% = Grade Points 2.0, 2.2

Umaro, a GPA of 3.57 should equate to a First Class Honours.... i.e. 3.57 would equal a B

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

2.73 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Yeah, I think you're right Zane. Just did a googling of the ucd site and it looks like most faculties state 70% as the mark for first class honours (some are less than 70 - botany, I think, has 65%)

• Advertisement

omg zane you rock!

and btw i'm pretty sure that the GPA is out of 4.2 so my 3.57 works out at exactly 85% (A student!!) which makes me pretty dang happy!

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Umaro wrote:
    85% (A student!!)
    Funny, in the Business & Law Programme Board meeting, the Registrar told me that an 'A' would still equal an old First, as in still be 70%. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

no 3.57 is a 2.1

from UCD website: http://www.ucd.ie/sils/guide.htm

"Grading for modularised courses

Grades and Grade Points:

A+, A, A- First Class Honours: A+ = 4.2 A = 4.0 A- = 3.8
    B+, B, B- Second Class Honours, grade 1: B+ = 3.6 B = 3.4 B- = 3.2
    C+, C, C- Second Class Honours, grade 2: C+ = 3.0 C = 2.8 C- = 2.6
    D+, D, D- Pass: D+ = 2.4 D = 2.2 D- = 2.0
    E Marginal Fail (may compensate): E = 1.8
    F Fail: F = 0.0"

ugh - just like being kicked in the nuts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sputtering

But what about 3.7?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Sputtering wrote:
    But what about 3.7?

That would be a 2.1, Congrats.

Chakar wrote:
    That would be a 2.2, Congrats.
    No it wouldn't! It hovers somewhere in the miraculous divide of non-gradedness between a First and a 2.1.

Oh so is this

Second Class Honours, grade 1:= 2.1
    Second Class Honours, grade 2:= 2.2

I thought grade 1 was 2.2.My mistake!

no 3.57 is a 2.1

from UCD website: http://www.ucd.ie/sils/guide.htm

"Grading for modularised courses

Grades and Grade Points:

A+, A, A- First Class Honours: A+ = 4.2 A = 4.0 A- = 3.8
    C+, C, C- Second Class Honours, grade 2: C+ = 3.0 C = 2.8 C- = 2.6
    D+, D, D- Pass: D+ = 2.4 D = 2.2 D- = 2.0
    E Marginal Fail (may compensate): E = 1.8
    F Fail: F = 0.0"

Firstly that's from the Department of Information Studies website, they're a bunch of cabbages.......

Secondly the honours system has always been.....

70% -100% = 1st class honours
    60% - 69% = 2nd class honours grade 1 (2.1)
    50% - 59% = 2nd class honours grade 2 (2.2)
    40% - 49% = Pass
    0% - 39% = You're fucked

...... if what is on the Information Studies website is true then that will mean our courses will be made far tougher to get adequate grades in. That would leave situations such as where students who got the exact same grades in their finals (say a 75% result overall) but in different years (1 student in 2007, 1 modularised student in 2008), we could see a situation where the 2007 student could come out with a First Class honours and the 2008 modularised student would come out with a 2.1 despite doing achieving the same result in the exact same course and modules etc.

That would be absolutely disgustingly unfair to all modularised students which would mean we have tougher and unfair standards to achieve and if true I'll be bashing the authorities door down first thing tomorrow morning.

I'll email them to ask whats going on because as per usual there's inadequate information on their website

I'm hugely confused.

Umaro wrote:
    I'm hugely confused.

But you got a 2.1 I think.

i was going on 3.57 out of 4.2 which is 85% so I figured it was an A

but the thing emeraldstar posted was;

so its like a B then, which is about 75%.. so according to zane's:
    70% -100% = 1st class honours
    60% - 69% = 2nd class honours grade 1 (2.1)
    50% - 59% = 2nd class honours grade 2 (2.2)
    40% - 49% = Pass
    0% - 39% = You're ****ed

its a 1st class honour then.

personally i'd love if it was 1st class honours, but i just don't know anymore :(

woe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sputtering

So I'm doomed to waunder the lines between "Bow down to this greatness" and "Almost". Days will turn into weeks which will turn into months and still I'll be waundering desperately and thinking "What about the days that almost were..."
    Sorry but I'm still really confused... who's got a degree in English so they can put it into... well English?

Alroysh, I emailed the UCD Student Help Desk about this shenanigans and tbh I'm still scratching my head.....

Regarding what's here......
    The reason for the first question is that the whole concept of first/second class honours and percentages is not supposed to figure in the modularised system, so the information that you saw is not really accurate.

with regards to calculating your precentages........
    even if you were to think in terms of percentages, my understanding is that with modularisation and GPAs, the 'ceiling' that was there in the
    traditional system in terms of higher marks will need to be disregarded. In other words, for example, first class honours used to be awarded very infrequently under the traditional system (and this was particularly the case with Arts degrees). However with modularisation I understand that the approach will be to give A grades (GPAs of 3.8, 4.0, 4.2) more frequently.

...... in other words they are ''dumbing down'' courses now and ''awarding higher grades'' (I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest to me that grades are getting higher so I'm wary about this)

I'm going to email them back to ask about GPA's for your degree etc. If the honours system has been abolished in UCD what do I put down on a CV for my degree? Employers will snigger at a decimal point figure.

I may email our UCDSU education officer for his view on this too.

Thats the way Zane.. we'll march on Hugh Brady if we have to.

• Advertisement

I may email our UCDSU education officer for his view on this too.
    Don't rush - he's at USI Officer Training all this week.

Jesus I didn't know there was so much confusion surrounding this issue.

It might be best to email the student advisers about this they would probably know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

i dunno it seems they are kinda making this all up as they go along 'hugh what will we tell them when they ask about this'. . . .'well whose to say they WILL ever ask, i think we're safe'. and if thats not the case, and they do know, they make a terrible job of making it clear at all, should just be explained on 1st day and on blackboard

i dunno it seems they are kinda making this all up as they go along 'hugh what will we tell them when they ask about this'. . . .'well whose to say they WILL ever ask, i think we're safe'. and if thats not the case, and they do know, they make a terrible job of making it clear at all, should just be explained on 1st day and on blackboard

:) I replied to them last night and I got the most typical politician avoid the big question stylie response when I asked them about how we can possibly compare the GPA grades to the honours system (for CV's an all that)

Bottom line is honours system is gone, your degree will be awarded based on your GPA but there is nothing compare your degree to the honours system which will not help you for applying for a job. Ah well better just concentrate on getting my degree instead of worrying about the modularisation f-ups!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭slovessmg

Well the way I see it, if you get 70% in a module you get an A- and the corosponding 3.8 figure for your GPA. One of my lectures told the class this last year. To clarify, the more regularly used system of A- = 85-90% A = 90-95% etc. is all gone out the window, therefore making it much easier to get better grades.

I think this is how it works.....
    First Class Honours: A+ = 4.2 A = 4.0 A- = 3.8; 70% to 100%
    Second Class Honours, grade 1: B+ = 3.6 B = 3.4 B- = 3.2; 60% to 69%
    C+, C, C- Second Class Honours, grade 2: C+ = 3.0 C = 2.8 C- = 2.6; 50% to 59%
    D+, D, D- Pass: D+ = 2.4 D = 2.2 D- = 2.0; 40% to 49%

How they differentiate between a plus, minus and regular grade I don't even wanna guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

I haven't look into this too much.

but in the US GPA system

100 – 90% = A
    89 – 80% = B
    79 – 70% = C
    65-70% = D
    Below 65% = F

I don't know how UCD is planning to implement a GPA system. To introduce it at all would only be of use if they follow an existing system in use somewhere, be that the US, or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 100

From UCD Grading Guide.

Greater than or equal to 3.68 1st Class Honours
    From 3.08 to 3.67 inclusive 2nd Class Honours, Grade 1
    From 2.48 to 3.07 inclusive 2nd Class Honours, Grade 2
    From 2.00 to 2.47 inclusive Pass

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I know this thread is about GPA but does a D minus mean you have passed or failed? Sorry I still have the leaving cert grading system in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

D- is a pass. Anything over 40% is a pass.

Incidentally, Mods can we have a sticky about GPA. Just one post that explains the whole thing with a link to the Modular grades explained document?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭david_etc

100 wrote: »
    From UCD Grading Guide.

Greater than or equal to 3.68 1st Class Honours
    From 3.08 to 3.67 inclusive 2nd Class Honours, Grade 1
    From 2.48 to 3.07 inclusive 2nd Class Honours, Grade 2
    From 2.00 to 2.47 inclusive Pass

Where are you finding that?
    In the pdf I can only see the grading system where it has A- as 3.8 and B+ as 3.6...which leaves 3.7 still mysteriously hanging.

Edit: Sorry, found where you got it. I crucially looked over the word "distinction". Thanks for the link.

Advertisement