Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hi id pay money for someone to work with m on this

• 09-07-2006 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

hi im working on a project with some computer programmers to make a software that would detect someons voice whilts singing ,analyze it and tune it to perfertion ,thus if you didnt have a good singing voice this software woul analyze what would have to be done to improve it and then automatically do that,so if you wre to sing something in a croaky out of tun voice the software would throw it out in a clear in tune voice rather than your own out of tune voice,i ould imagine that the pitch would need to be adjusted but sometimes when you do this there is an echo and it isnt very clear,so the computer programmer i spoke with said that i would need to talk with someone with a knowledge of audio input so are there any takers?as i said in the title i would pay money for help with developing this.thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

There's a program called Auto Tune, which has been on the market for years. The Spice Girls used it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Van Morrison uses that too but he doesn't know about it, nobody tells him.

Gordon wrote:
    Van Morrison uses that too but he doesn't know about it, nobody tells him.

That's hilarious! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

As the lads said its beem done, but if you can make a decent polyphonic pitch-detection program that would be something, big bucks for someone first to the post with that!!!!

eddyc wrote:
    As the lads said its beem done, but if you can make a decent polyphonic pitch-detection program that would be something, big bucks for someone first to the post with that!!!!

That's true, I'd say you'd need a machine with a massive amount of power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I always love these underdog stories in true Disney style. A man so totally inadequate with computers that he can't even find the capslock key has a dream of creating a multi-million dollar software solution that could revolutionise the music industry. All we need now is a gruff ex-CIA agent with a heart of gold and an animated dog with a snooty english accent and we're set!

Oh wait...
    He's SERIOUS?!? :eek:

sturgo wrote:
    That's true, I'd say you'd need a machine with a massive amount of power.

Yeah and mad skillz!!, I think by the time we have polyphonic pitch detection algorithms the robots will indeed be our masters :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

any idea how i could try this autotune,i tried downloading a demo but it just has downloads documents and manuals about it,it says i can use the demo for ten days but theres no program running any ideas also has anyone here tried it as i cant get in touch with the spice girls and van morrison didnt know what i was on about.thanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

eddyc wrote:
    Yeah and mad skillz!!, I think by the time we have polyphonic pitch detection algorithms the robots will indeed be our masters :D

Mellotron boys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

j2U: thats a huge project, a PHD project at best. There are products on the market, like Autone, that do something similar. You need to run it as a plug-in in an application like cubase or Protools. The project you are talking about will require someone with extensive Digital Signal Processing skills.

I dont mean to be derogatry but if you cannot get autone working or do not understand the basic funamentals of audio production then the project you prupose is well outside your scope. However a lot of great things in the world were done by people who could not see the problems, but only saw opportunities.

Turning a croaking, out of tune voice, into a clear in tune voice involves a lot more than adjusting the pitch.

I see from one of your other topics about singing and singing lessons, that you want to be able to correct your voice so you can make marketable music. What you purpose above is not a short cut. It is the long, hard way to achieving what you want. Talk to a singing coach. They will be able to tell you if there is any hope straight off. Things like Autotune only really work if you can sing in the first place, not brilliantly, but sing half decently at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Anyone see the simpsons episode where they started a boyband with subliminal messages to recruit to the navy? I think you need a machine like they used there.
    Seriously though, a program like that is elusive, it couldnt be done with todays PC's tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

the croaky thing no way. Pitch shifting is well established. Mellotron will tune polyphonically

Seriously though, a program like that is elusive, it couldnt be done with todays PC's tbh

It could be done. It is not anything to do with processing power. Machines are easily powerful enough to do it. Its the maths behind it that is the problem. Once that is worked out it is relatively easy to implement it. Humnas are excellent at distinguishing different sounds and their location. Computers/robots etc are not that great. So trying to get a computer to all that the OP wants is extrememly difficult but progress is being made............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 djeoinc

Ye That Program Would Be Pretty Handy Ya Know, Id Like To See Some One Develope A Program That Seperates Sounds, Never Gonna Happen Thought

I dont know there a probably people working on it!!! Synthesis has come along a lot since the days of yor (well the 80's), there are programs that can synthesize realistic orchestral instruments, no samples used, so its not much of a stretch to imagine that a program could use those algorithms to pick out certain harmonic patterns in an audio signal that correspond to the instrument its lookin for, I'd give it maybe 15 years ,it will probably be less

djeoinc wrote:
    Ye That Program Would Be Pretty Handy Ya Know, Id Like To See Some One Develope A Program That Seperates Sounds, Never Gonna Happen Thought

There is software that can do it, i have seen and heard it. It is not commercially available because it is not perfect yet. What I have seen and heard is very good though.

Advertisement