Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sol Campbell has left Arsenal

• 09-07-2006 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't see a thread for this so thought I'd post it.
    The 31-year-old England defender, who has been linked with Portsmouth and Fenerbahce, has quit the Gunners with a year remaining on his contract.

After making a controversial Bosman transfer from north London rivals Tottenham, Campbell made 197 appearances for Arsenal and helped them win the Premiership title in 2002 and 2004.

Campbell said: 'After much consideration, I have taken the decision to leave Arsenal.'

He said: "I have spent five fantastic, trophy-filled seasons at the club, with many truly memorable moments, including winning the Premiership title in 2004 by remaining unbeaten for the entire campaign.

"So, it is with a sense of pride, achievement and the desire for a fresh challenge that I depart. Playing abroad is something that would really interest me but at the moment I am keeping all of my options open.

"I would like to thank: Arshne Wenger for everything he has done for me; the world-class players that I have been privileged to play alongside and accomplish so much; everyone behind the scenes, from the directors to the staff and lastly but by no means least, to the fans. You have been a constant source of warm-spirited support for which I am truly grateful.

"I'd like to thank everyone associated with the club for the wonderful memories and wish the team the best of luck in the future."

Campbell has played in the last six major international tournaments for his country, although he was a reserve for first-choice centre-half pairing Rio Ferdinand and John Terry at this summer's World Cup finals in Germany, which England exited at the quarter-final stage.

He was selected despite a difficult season which was marred by injury and off-field problems. He walked out of February's match against West Ham at Highbury at half-time and then went missing for several days.

The powerful defender broke his nose on his return to action 10 weeks later at Portsmouth but returned to help the Gunners reach the Champions League final in a goalless draw at Villarreal. He opened the scoring in the final against Barcelona in May but Wenger's side eventually lost 2-1.

Wenger said: "Sol has been a giant for us since his arrival in 2001. His desire and presence have been instrumental to our success over the past five years, but we respect his decision to move on and of course, we are very sorry to see him go.

"Sol was at the heart of our defence and he will take away with him many fantastic memories, which he richly deserves.

"Winning two Premiership titles, three FA Cups and scoring in the Champions League final against Barcelona will surely be highlights he will treasure.

"He also excelled for England, playing in six consecutive international tournaments since 1998, three of which were during his time at Arsenal.

"Indeed Sol's international record is outstanding. He was named in the official All Star Team of the Tournament for the World Cup in 2002 as well as Euro 2004 - accolades that very few share.

"I would like to thank Sol for his tremendous contribution. His commitment, stature and strength of character have served us remarkably well, both individually and as a team player who captained the side.

"I know that the younger players, who have progressed here over recent times, have benefited hugely from playing alongside Sol.

Everyone at the club wishes Sol all the best for the future."

Campbell has played 69 times for England.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Don't think they'll notice TBH. He wasn't there much of last season and they have Senderos and Toure now anyway.

Think it was more a case of him leaving before he was pushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Perhaps but at 31 he still has a lot of football in him if he can sort out his problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

He was more trouble than he was worth to Arsenal last season IMO. Lost them a couple of games and they spent most of the seaosn paying his high wages while he was injured.

Wenger will put that money to better use now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Lemlin wrote:
    He was more trouble than he was worth to Arsenal last season IMO. Lost them a couple of games and they spent most of the seaosn paying his high wages while he was injured.

Agreed.

I was never a fan of Campbells. However it will be interesting to see how Sanderos does next year now. He played out of his skin last year and it will be a big ask for him to match that season after season. Not saying he isnt capable of it but this would appear to be a pivotal point in his career.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Absolutely brilliant player for club and country in his day but he doesn't seem to be right in the head anymore. Good luck Sol Campbell.

Beginning to wonder if there might be some legs to the Thuram rumours, he'd be a good short-term signing to allow Senderos and Djourou to continue to develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Lemlin wrote:

well said, he had a massive breakdown and fell apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Our best defender up to a season ago. Sad to see him go. Served the club well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

he was a good player at spurs and a great player at arsenal.
    shame he just seemed to fall apart.
    hopefully he will get 3 or 4 more good playing years somewhere.

Advertisement