Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Look at this!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

qazz wrote:
    Any idea what to do in this situation?

Buy new alloys?

Does insurance cover this?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Sorry to hear about your situation. I don't think there is anything you can do about this. The Gardai won't want to know about it in my opinion and you aren't gonna get any sympathy from the insurance company unless you told them you had alloys and they agreed to cover them. Then you'd need a Garda report as far as i know.

Just my suggestion man- next time use Lock-nuts! For the extra 40euro they would have cost, the thieves may have thought twice.

This type of thing happenin is really horibble, especially outside your own door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I saw a brand new Toyota Avensis in Dublin Airport not too long ago with the four wheels stolen from under it in the carpark. Why is it nothing bad, like the car slipping off a block or a jack and maiming these f***ers, ever seems to happen. Its the same when they crash a stolen car, any normal person would be killed or maimed and these f***ers get away without a scratch and leg it. There is no justice, sorry for your troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭qazz

Lock nuts don't help. You can buy them everywhere and they are the same! So If someone wants your alloys, he will get them.

I have tpft policy. I don't know if it covers alloys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

bastards! it must have been a horribal feeling when you realised what happend

I would never spend any money making a car look nicer, I just wouldn't like the idea of it drawing attention to itself when i'm not around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

qazz wrote:
    Lock nuts don't help. You can buy them everywhere and they are the same! So If someone wants your alloys, he will get them.

I have tpft policy. I don't know if it covers alloys...

Dont know what you mean by lock nuts are all the same? There are different combinations even from the same manufacturer.

Everyone knows there are ways to get them off but they provide an extra bit of work to the theif similar to a car alarm they are just a deterant not a solution.

Theres no point in saying ah they dont work I wont bother the €40 spend. If you had had locknuts there could have been another car down the road that didnt, which one would they have went for then?

I recommend you get a set or even two sets of locknuts if your getting a set of alloys again.

Good job they were a relatively cheap set of wheels the lesson could have been alot more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

qazz wrote:

There must be some sort of lock nuts that aren't all the same.

Found this review of locking wheel nuts for future reference:

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/17032006/45/locking-wheel-bolts-0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Harsh.

Must have taken some balls to do that right in your driveway like that. How long would it take? Must be at least a fifteen minute job to jack up the car and everything. Get a powerful security light with a motion sensor on your driveway. They are really cheap. Can't imagine someone doing that under floodlight conditions. Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it was done in the early hours of this morning then these scumbags know that most people would have been out for a couple of jars Saturday night. After a couple of jars you tend to sleep like a log so they know they are less likely to be disturbed. Plus from the photos the house has walls around the front driveway and there are plenty of other cars parked around outside so it makes it difficult for a neighbour to spot them from the street.

I agree about the wheel locks though that they will not stop a thief if he really wants the alloys but they will make the opportunist go to an easier car close by that doesn't have them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

sorry for being off-topic mods, but where did you get those alloys and how much were they?

they are really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

KamiKazi wrote:
    sorry for being off-topic mods, but where did you get those alloys and how much were they?

they are really nice.
    I've a set for sale, going cheap :D:D:D

I said lock nuts are the same. I mean there are different combination but you can get them. And those "people" can get them too. I think they check before what you have and then come with tools they need. I can change all wheels myself in about 10 minutes. So 5 men can do it in 3 minutes if they are well organised...

My friend lost his alloys the night before... :mad:

Garda was informed...

Alloys were Wolfrace 15". I think value is 500-600. I don't know because I got them with a car...

qazz wrote:
    I said lock nuts are the same. I mean there are different combination but you can get them. And those "people" can get them too.

I'm pretty sure you're not right about that. Those McGard Ultra locking nuts have "thousands" of combinations. And there's no way to know by looking at them, which key fits. The review says they are impervious to "master" keys. Basically, the only way to get the key configuration is to have the number that's on the key.

Put two sets on your wheels (or four!) and you can be pretty sure they aren't going to be stolen. Not certain, but pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

2 of my granny's neighbours were done last saturday night week. 9-5, astra, corolla and megane, 4 sets of manufacturer standard alloys. opel used to have locking covers over the nuts but not anymore why is this???

total scumbags though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Cucullan wrote:
    I've a set for sale, going cheap :D:D:D

hehe, i knew someone would say that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Jaysus I wouldnt mind but those Oxygen's can be bought for about a fiver.. WITH tyres!

Good time for a front brake upgrade, those 262mm solids are pants

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

McGard locking nuts are nigh on impossible to get off unless you have the right adaptor. There are hundreds of different adaptors, so they're your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

Thats rough....scumbags....
    Gives me pause for thought on my own.

Anyone know any Irl locations for purchasing the McGards????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Happened to me about a year ago now too, I have McGard locking nuts now. Its a terrible feeling to come out and find it tho'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Man that is bad, if you rang the gardai you can claim off your insurance because it was theft(AFAIK)!!!
    Best bet is get a second hand set for the moment if you can't afford new wheels!!

Oh yeah insurance will cover it, mine should of anyway if it wasn't for the named driver exemption :mad: Claim it under vandalism or theft, Allianz said it wouldn't affect the main drivers NCB either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Qazz, where abouts do you live? Just so as we can keep an eye out if its happening in one area at the moment.

Having four arms is forewarned and all that.

I'm in Naas. I hope insurance will cover it... In my other car I replaced alloys for some time...

Car crime in Celbridge/Maynooth/Clane/Nass area in general seems to be pretty bad. According to the gardai in Celbridge its gangs of lads from Clondalkin, dunno how true that is tho'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

For the time being, you should be able to get a set of steel wheels fairly handy in a scrapyard, or even in an ex-Rover dealers.

Sorry to see you've been jacked, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

qazz wrote:
    I'm in Naas. I hope insurance will cover it... In my other car I replaced alloys for some time...

thansk Qazz, some people I know live in Naas, best let them know. Sorry to see you've been hit by these scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think your lucky the bricks held. It fell off them you can more or less say good bye car.

Lock nuts sound like the best solution. Amazing it actually comes to having locks on your wheels.

Hope the next car falls on the feckers.

Advertisement