Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kite Buggy or Board?

Options
  • 09-07-2006 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im thinking about getting into some type of power kiting but i dont know anyone who's into it. Would you recommend starting off with a Buggy or one of the Land Boards? My first thought were that the board might be a bit more fun but i thought i better ask peoples oppinion before i splash the cash.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Hi there bananna man,there is quiet a group going up there in Dublin who kiteboard and buggy at Dollymouny beach.Here is a link too their website and forum register and they will be help you out.http://www.dublinkiteclub.org:cool:

I am in Cork meself and have two large foils,a ozone fury 3metre and a ozone little devil 6metre.I reccomend you fly a two line foil first or maybe a 2 to 3 metre four line to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

wideangle wrote:
    Hi there bananna man,there is quiet a group going up there in Dublin who kiteboard and buggy at Dollymouny beach.Here is a link too their website and forum register and they will be help you out.http://www.dublinkiteclub.org:cool:

I am in Cork meself and have two large foils,a ozone fury 3metre and a ozone little devil 6metre.I reccomend you fly a two line foil first or maybe a 2 to 3 metre four line to begin with.

Thanks....... what kind of wind speeds would i need for a 3m and then a 6m? Do you know of any places in Ireland (preferably Dublin) that sells this kind of stuff?

I fly in all wind speeds.I learnt in light winds first,then I had the know how to take on stronger winds.I still fly static even though I can get traction and a few jumps in lately.I will be buying a landboard soon though,just too cruze on at first and I'll take it from there.

Skate city in templebar do kites I believe,but there are better prices to be got buying online or secondhand.As I have said get in touch with the dublin guys,it's not really a club that's just what they decided to call the group.There is a kite surf centre near Dollymount I reccomend going there to see some kites.There is a few other places in Dublin to buy power kites,maybe google will help you out there.
    Hope this helps..
    sean

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

I met up with these guys at the weekend for Dublin Kite Club after going it alone for the last few months. Very very friendly guys and more than willing to help out with advice on kites or how to start off.

Gear is quite expensive to buy new. I have 3 Flexifoil Blades that I bought second hand off Ebay for about €180 to €250 and they're perfectly fine. Sometimes they can be twice the price new. There's a palce is Templebar called Skate city and also that outdoor store off henry street that sell kites. The outdoor place only stock Flexifoil kites and they're fairly expensive, defo try ebay before anything else.

I can't give too much advice as I'm pretty new to it as well but in terms of windspeed for 3 mtr and 6 mtr (again I've only had Flexifoil Blades no dont know how other kites handle) in low winds i.e. 5 - 10 you'd be okay with a 6 mtr, but start on a 3 mtr first and in high wind only a 3 - 4 metre kite.

As I've learned different kites behave differently in the same wind i.e. I have 3 Blades of varying size and they pull like a train in most winds whereas other kites of the same size don't. However they're probably more stable i.e. don't more around so much and are better suited ot landboarding or Buggying.

On another note if you're ever round Phoenix park beside the Pope's cross I'm there a few nights a week or out on Dollymount strand at the weekend. Don't be afraid to come over and ask a few questions or have a go of some the kites.

JP Mulvano wrote:
    I met up with these guys at the weekend for Dublin Kite Club after going it alone for the last few months. Very very friendly guys and more than willing to help out with advice on kites or how to start off.

Gear is quite expensive to buy new. I have 3 Flexifoil Blades that I bought second hand off Ebay for about €180 to €250 and they're perfectly fine. Sometimes they can be twice the price new. There's a palce is Templebar called Skate city and also that outdoor store off henry street that sell kites. The outdoor place only stock Flexifoil kites and they're fairly expensive, defo try ebay before anything else.

I can't give too much advice as I'm pretty new to it as well but in terms of windspeed for 3 mtr and 6 mtr (again I've only had Flexifoil Blades no dont know how other kites handle) in low winds i.e. 5 - 10 you'd be okay with a 6 mtr, but start on a 3 mtr first and in high wind only a 3 - 4 metre kite.

As I've learned different kites behave differently in the same wind i.e. I have 3 Blades of varying size and they pull like a train in most winds whereas other kites of the same size don't. However they're probably more stable i.e. don't more around so much and are better suited ot landboarding or Buggying.

On another note if you're ever round Phoenix park beside the Pope's cross I'm there a few nights a week or out on Dollymount strand at the weekend. Don't be afraid to come over and ask a few questions or have a go of some the kites.

Im buying a second hand hq beamer today so might see you around the phoenix park soon enough :o

• Advertisement

If you want some serious lift and jumping etc you can't beat the Blades you gotta love them.

No idea what a beamer is like. If you spot someone getting dragged around the park like a lunatic it's probably me gimme a shout or some help :eek: :eek: !!!

Check out www.racekites.com there's some reviews on there for most kites.

Had my new kite out lastnight for the first time. WHAT A DISASTER!! I spent a good hour untangling the wires (my fault i think coz when i took the kite out first i didnt take the time to see how to unwrap it properly and i think i messed it up in the big rush). By the time i got it all sorted the wind was dead. Got it up in the air for a couple of mins but just about.

At least things can only get better from here on in. Man, those bloody wires tangle up so easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man oh man is that a pain in the ass alright. I hate when you spend ages untangling it and the wind goes dead.

http://www.flyozone.com/ozkites/kframe.asp?page=flytips.htm

Check that link out it has some tips for packing your kite. The key is to pack it away right when you finish and unpack in the opposite way when go back out the next time.

Hey Bananna man good to hear you got a kite.What size is the hq beamer you bought?You will need insurance before you will be able too fly at Dollymount,that is the next thing on the list along with saftey gear.Have fun.
    Insurance is available from:http://www.sportscoverdirect.com
    Thats where everyone gets sports insurance.

wideangle wrote:
    Hey Bananna man good to hear you got a kite.What size is the hq beamer you bought?You will need insurance before you will be able too fly at Dollymount,that is the next thing on the list along with saftey gear.Have fun.

I asked the lad i bought it off if you needed insurance and he said no. Maybe he doesnt go on Dollymount. Do you need it if your just flying the kite or is it justwhen using buggies and the like.

I got the kite out for a few mins in the phoenix park today, not great winds but it still had me scrambling across the grass!! It a HQ Beamer 3.6 (3.5m)

• Advertisement

In the long run it is safer if you have it,espcially if you are going to get wheels under you wheather it be board or buggie.
    Going to get insured me self this week,it's risky having kids at the beach running under the kite while you are trying to keep control of it.

3.6 is a fair enuff size to begin with and I hear beamers are good for buggies and boarding so you are well on your way.:D

Man, this is so frustrating. I had a cold last week but it wasnt bad so when i got my new kite i had to bring it out for a try. Anyway, the next day the cold was a bit worse but i thought, what the heck, i'll give it another go. Since that faithful moment i've been dieing with the bloody thing and have been in bed watchin tv all weekend!! Lovely weather, brand spanking new kite and there's me, nob the nobbo, sitting in bed all weekend :mad:

There is'nt much wind about any way so ur not missin much..except the sun that is.Ecinecia prevents colds..I have had ten nose bleeds in the past two weeks...now beat that!!:confused:

I finally got the kite out today in some descent wind. I have taken it out a couple of times in the Phoenix Park over the last week but the winds were always a bit crappy. I was slightly amusing but nothing to write home about.

Today however was a different matter. Got it going on Rush Beach with wind speeds of between 25-30kmh, NOW I SEE WHAT ALL THE FUSS WAS ABOUT. It nearly pulled the arms off me!! I was knackered after about 5 mins of it. I'll have to look into either a buggy or board now.

How common is it to gets winds like this, ive never taken any notice of wind speeds up till now.

25 - 30 good man, that was in rush!! Damn I was going to head out last night as well.

It's funny how quickly you want to progress, as soon as you've had the kite up a few times you want to jump straight on a board or buggy.

Dunno about the winds, how common they are around Rush but I regularly get good high winds up in the Phoenix park. Certainly good for some fun times. sometimes it's quite gusty though.

Gald to hear you got out in the high wind, keep an eye on www.dublinkiteclug.org if you can get out the same time as a few other people I'm sure someone would be willing to let you try out their gear. If I'm around you have a standing offer to try my board, I'm new to boarding as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

wideangle wrote: »
    wideangle wrote: »

Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread, but two points in this are relevant to my query.

Firstly, that website is down is there a new one kite-landboarders use?

Secondly is SportsCoverDirect still best insurance to cover this sport?

Not many land boarders left that I know of. I moved onto the water and recently bought a buggy.

I think IKSA - http://www.iksa.ie/ might cover you for land boarding but you'd have to check.

Were you looking to get into land boarding?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

JP Mulvano wrote: »
    Not many land boarders left that I know of. I moved onto the water and recently bought a buggy.

I think IKSA - http://www.iksa.ie/ might cover you for land boarding but you'd have to check.

Were you looking to get into land boarding?

Ah I've been doing it in and off for 8 years. Tried the water one (last time was in Jericoacoara, Brazil) but my knees just kept complaining so I've stuck with landboarding until I give it another go.

It's nice being able to walk to the beach and go kiting without having to change in/out of a wetsuit though, but yeah I'll give the water one a go again soon :)

I'll have a look at the IKSA forums though.

Regarding insurance sports direct still good? what are they like if you need to make a claim?

Advertisement