Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat TDI Service

Options
  • 09-07-2006 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Anybody regularly drop theirs in for a service at a VW Dealer?? Just wondering how much it would set me back? Shes due a full service in the next 2000 miles.

I could drop it into a "backstreet" garage but would rather go the official route....price depending ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Sizzler wrote:
    Anybody regularly drop theirs in for a service at a VW Dealer?? Just wondering how much it would set me back? Shes due a full service in the next 2000 miles.

I could drop it into a "backstreet" garage but would rather go the official route....price depending ;)

I go "backstreet" garage way but its a mate so I know its done right, my bro was getting his audi done in Cavan for years, was about 250 each time, got it done once and told them to check timing belt, said they did and 2,000 miles later it went causing over 1,000 worth of damage:rolleyes: shows you no matter what garage you go to or how much you pay you need to know they are doing it right

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Sizzler wrote:

where are you? I know a good VW mechanic in Sallins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Sizzler wrote:
    ...I could drop it into a "backstreet" garage but would rather go the official route....price depending ;)

..meaning you'd prefer to get a worst service and pay twice as much for it? :confused:

..meaning you'd prefer to get a worst service and pay twice as much for it? :confused:

Exactly, if you have a proper mechanic to work on your car it doesn't matter if he is in the back street or in a VW garage, I have found most of the best mechanic I have got to work on cars etc have been guys who don't work in the garages.

I used to be mates with a few guys that worked in a very well known dealers and they would be joking about how much they f**ked up car for services etc. They didn't really care because they knew they wouldn't be sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Big Nelly wrote:
    Exactly, if you have a proper mechanic to work on your car it doesn't matter if he is in the back street or in a VW garage, I have found most of the best mechanic I have got to work on cars etc have been guys who don't work in the garages.

I used to be mates with a few guys that worked in a very well known dealers and they would be joking about how much they f**ked up car for services etc. They didn't really care because they knew they wouldn't be sacked

Dont always assume the back street boys are alll genuisis either.I think reputations are important more than whether they are back or main dealers. I have seen cowboys on both sides. Ask around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

A few good points there people, fair point about just cos you go to a dealer garage you wont neccessarily get the quality of service even though you pay top dollar!

I think I'll stick with my own mechanic, he hasnt let me down yet :)

tred wrote:
    Dont always assume the back street boys are alll genuisis either.I think reputations are important more than whether they are back or main dealers. I have seen cowboys on both sides. Ask around.

Well that is natural, make sure you know who you are dealing iwth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

AFAIK some manufacturers operate a spot check system to ensure quality is maintained, ring VW and ask if they do such a thing and if so where was done most recently and results

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

VW used to have a "mystery shopper" when I worked in a dealer (6 years ago now). It was out sourced to a marketing company, afaik. I'd say they gave it up, tbh, because if the mystery shopper had has much grief with the dealers as I do then he'd have been a busy man who would have all his hair torn out long ago.

OP, if your happy with your current mechanic stick with him. But he really needs to be able to access the on board diagnosis - if he can then he's practically as capable as the main dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

If your car is under warranty I would return to the main dealer.

I used to bring my vw bora tdi to the main dealer. The service book is always a worry for private owners which puts them off going to the independent motor mechanic becuase they believe it will effect the resale value of the car. But don't let that worry you. Once the car is serviced to the manufacter's guidelines at the correct times by a professional your grand. I have my car serviced by a vw mechanic as a nixer. I was quoted €1100 for 60k service and timing belt by a VW garage in Dublin. And then they wonder why you don't go back for the servicing.

I know someone else who has his car serviced by a mechanic on the side. He has serviced the car since he bought the passat with 40k. It now has 190k on the clock and its running like new. Its still on the original clutch.

• Advertisement

bbability wrote:
    Once the car is serviced to the manufacter's guidelines at the correct times by a professional your grand.
    Very true - irrespective of whether it is a main dealer or not - and notwithstanding the fact that the car is still under warranty.

Once you can prove to the main dealer when you need warranty repairs that the car was serviced correctly according to the VW service schedule then you are entitled to warranty coverage. Sometimes a dealer will get difficult when they see a non franchised service history - but you need to stand your ground.

Why pay main stealer prices? It is a requirement, by EU law, that all manufacturers allow their diagnostics be readable by non franchised computers - anything otherwise is tantamount to monopolising - the same goes for insisiting on main dealer servicing in order to maintain warranty validity.

Problems arise when you get a 'mate' to do the job as a nixer and subsequently have no invoice to support the service.

crosstownk wrote:
    VW used to have a "mystery shopper" when I worked in a dealer (6 years ago now).

Im one for Audi and VW:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Forgive the ignorance but are people saying if the nixer mechanic dude doesnt have access to a computer then Im wasting my time? The car is a 03 BTW.

Cheers

If the car is 2003 then it most likely has long life service intervals. The intervals need to be reset by a computer to retain the long life intervals, afaik. If Mr Nixer resets them via the dash insert then your back to the 10000 mile intervals which is OK - just don't fill with expensive long life oil. The Passat is out of warranty so, tbh, whatever your happy with will do. It's handy to have a computer diagnostic check of the fault memory done at each service to flag faults in systems that don't illuminate lights on the dash rather than have a failure at a later stage. Not essential but handy. If you trust the nixer guy then go for it. Lots of € to be saved.

Advertisement