Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phones locked to UK networks - will they work on Irish networks?

• 09-07-2006 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

I asked this in the sticky but got no reply - the auction is about to end on eBay so I need an answer. The phone is on T-Mobile in the UK. It is a Nokia 6131. Will I be able to unlock it to work on Irish networks?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

you'll need to get the unlock code of t-mobile uk and from what i heard there not to keen on giving it to people that are not on the network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Funkstard wrote:
    I asked this in the sticky but got no reply - the auction is about to end on eBay so I need an answer. The phone is on T-Mobile in the UK. It is a Nokia 6131. Will I be able to unlock it to work on Irish networks?

Thanks

It's a BB5 phone so can only be unlocked by the network, I would ask the seller if they can get an unlock code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

O2 uk do not lock their phones......you may find this fact useful in the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭rachymc

just got a samsung d500 on ebay. its an orange phone, but unlocked to all networks. i put my meteor sim into it, and it will send and receive texts but i cant make or receive calls. anybody know why? is it the fact that iv a meteor sim, or is it cos the phone is only unlocked to uk networks? :confused: what do i do? dont know what the craic is with sending back stuff on ebay?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

rachymc wrote:
    just got a samsung d500 on ebay. its an orange phone, but unlocked to all networks. i put my meteor sim into it, and it will send and receive texts but i cant make or receive calls. anybody know why? is it the fact that iv a meteor sim, or is it cos the phone is only unlocked to uk networks? :confused: what do i do? dont know what the craic is with sending back stuff on ebay?!

If the phone is unlocked it should work with any SIM, did the description say the phone was barred? as being able to send/receive texts but not make/receive calls sounds like the phone is IMEI barred.

I believe Meteor share their IMEI barred list with UK networks, you could try a friend's Vodafone or O2 SIM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

rachymc wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the phone, and it's not barred. If it were barred you wouldn't be able to do anything. The problem is that it has Orange branded software. Get this reflashed to the standard D500 software and it will work fine. Meteor sims don't like branded Samsung phones.

well in the description it just said simlock: unlocked. and that it should work anywhere in the world etc. im assuming barred means it was reported stolen? :eek: and dont understand what u mean by meteor sharing their barred imei list with uk networks :confused::confused:

chrislad wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with the phone, and it's not barred. If it were barred you wouldn't be able to do anything. The problem is that it has Orange branded software. Get this reflashed to the standard D500 software and it will work fine. Meteor sims don't like branded Samsung phones.

how do i go about reflashing it? never heard of this before :confused: or would i just be better off buying a vodafone or 02 sim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

NiSmO wrote:
    just wondering does it have to be o2 or vodafone would a 3 bill or credit sim card work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

1huge1 wrote:
    just wondering does it have to be o2 or vodafone would a 3 bill or credit sim card work?

Flashing only costs about a tenner. Same as an O2/Voda sim. Not to mention the difference in call costs.

thanks guys, ill go in to town today and see what the story is :D

no hope, the phone repair shop didnt do flashing. :mad: went in to meteor aswell, and no hope there either. this is just a B**LS. anyone know anywhere near limerick that they do flashing? i bought a vodafone sim card, and iv no credit already, so bloody expensive.

The only place in Limerick that might be able to do it is CRC on William St, just beside Ryans Menswear.

Loads of places in Dublin do it.

ya thats where i was. although ur man inside hadnt really a clue what i was on about. he just said change to vodaphone. ill just ring samsung in the morning and see what they say.

Were you talking to Michael (balding guy) or Rory? Rory knows what he's talking about.

Tell him that you need to phone reflashed, to get rid of the Vodafone firmware, and to put the standard firmware on the phone. Ask for Rory though. He's more in touch with tech stuff.

bald guy i think. sounded like a louth/meath accent. ya, i said wud you be able to remove the orange firmware and put the original samsung firmware back on it and he said no we dont do that!

Advertisement