Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WANTED: Moral support for driving test

Options
  • 09-07-2006 12:38pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Right, ive my driving test on monday evening and am using the instructors jammer. Im dead nervous though. Its my second time and i just barely didnt pass last time round. Ive only used the instructors car a few times and the controls are alot more sensitive then the dirtboxes im used to driving!

I havin issues reversing around corners. I used to be great at them but in this new car im like driving miss daisy!!

this thread may have been done before but anyone got any tips and advice for the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Do you have to use the instructor's car? Nothing worse than trying to do a test in a car you're unfamiliar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had lessons in an instructor's micra, but given that I was doing most of my driving in my own after all, I decided it'd make more sense to use my own for the test - so I did.

Good luck anyway. Took me 2 attempts too.. at least you'll know what to expect this time though :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Stark wrote:
    Do you have to use the instructor's car? Nothing worse than trying to do a test in a car you're unfamiliar with.

yeah using instructors car altho dont have much choice this time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

When I was learning first I had a starlet 91 I think:confused:

It broke down dead and unrecoverable the Fri before my test. ( This came up on a cancellation so I only had 1 weeks notice )
    So as I was planning to buy a new car when I passed I went ahead and bought it any way. I had it 4 days before the test and only got 2 days worth of pre lessons. The instructor did not think I had a chance. On the way to the test centre I pulled into a space, as I turned into the space I MISSED THE BREAK!!! I crashed into a block wall and bounced back!!

I checked out the bumper and it was scrtahed and all biut no material damage, the lights all still worked too so I wasstill good to go to the test.
    Still shaking when we went out I pulled it all together and passed in about 15 mins and he brought me back only 1 mark.

Bottom line is keep your cool and dont let the new car distract you ( as I did! ) but you will over come it if you keep your head. 2nd time you know what to expect so you will fly it!
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

If you having issues with the new car reversing around corner etc. Put the passenger mirror so you can see the kerb.

I know its easy for someone that passed to say relax but try. Drive like you normally do and not all uptight and tense (easier said than done).

Sounds like you are used to driving by now and having barely failed last time you will at least know the format of the test and what to expect this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Good luck faceman!, you've been through it before, pretend your giving someone a lift and try to drive like normal.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Siamsa

I am doing my test tomorrow afternoon and I am already nervous I'm doing mine in a skoda octavia TDI am I nuts or what :eek: on the lessons and pre tests I managed to reverse around corners and turnabout in the road ok but I live in fear that I'll freak out on the day and end up bashing into the kerb:( I will be thinking of you this evening just say to yourself "I deserve this I've worked hard for this" you will do it Good luck again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

One thing most people don't know is that you don't need to do the reversing around a corner in one go. If you've made a balls of it, drive forward a bit and reverse again closer to the kerb. Just don't bump the kerb!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You can also be a good bit out after reversing round the corner, you don't need to be clung to the kerb. They'll mainly be looking to see if you did it safely, swinging your head in all directions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Darando wrote:
    If you having issues with the new car reversing around corner etc. Put the passenger mirror so you can see the kerb.

this is a very good piece of advice. Probably the only reason I passed mine first time.

Has anybody else noticed that the things that used to be difficult before your test become dead easy afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Siamsa

I took the advice about the mirror and guess what? I passed :D I am so excited the reverse went perfect and the turnabout in 3 turns so I was well pleased I did have a couple of nit picky mistakes but only 4 grade 2. I was so nervous I felt physically sick but I pulled myself together in time. Anyway to anyone getting ready to do their test good luck if I can do it anyone can! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

Siamsa wrote:
    I did have a couple of nit picky mistakes but only 4 grade 2.

I know I will probably get a backlash from others but who cares how many faults you got!!! Once you passed is the main thing!!! Fair play to you!!!! Congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Siamsa wrote:
    I took the advice about the mirror and guess what? I passed :D I am so excited the reverse went perfect and the turnabout in 3 turns so I was well pleased I did have a couple of nit picky mistakes but only 4 grade 2. I was so nervous I felt physically sick but I pulled myself together in time. Anyway to anyone getting ready to do their test good luck if I can do it anyone can! ;)

I wont say I told you so but ...

Advertisement