Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

having some wierd problems -- can anyone help me out

• 09-07-2006 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Ok i've no idea whats going on but it seem like my PC is stopping me installing stuff,

I tried to install Party Poker it would let me because there software didnt have a vaild security cert, But I didnt have that problem before. It wouldnt let me install Jan james poker either.. But it did let me install VCpoker...

I then tried to install "Alcohol 120%" and i got this error
    http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/258/error15le.jpg

[EDIT::] I just checked i get the above error with Daemon Tools as well.[/EDIT]

Also there seems to be a problem with Unzipping stuff. I downloaded Winrar and Winzip and everytime i try to extract something i get an error.. and i know the files are ok,,, Here is a print screen of the reason it didn't work

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1056/error26qo.jpg
    I get this error on everything.

Now i am after installing windows a few days ago also built the computer but everything seems to be working ok...
    I have 3 hard drive in the PC now 1 of which is the one i used on my old PC. so i dont know if that would be effecting it It's not my main drive but i just thought say something about it...

So does anyone have any idea why my PC is going this ? would it be a security thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

anyone got any ideas?

Just to add i'm using Nvidia Firewall that came with my motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Erh... Nvidia have their own Firewall? Why does that sound so wrong to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Hi David :D:D

sounds like some poxy virus is attaching itself to archieves and corrupting them, bring up taskmanager and give us all a look at a screen shot of your running processes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

How do you know the "files are ok"? Compare MD5 sums?
    Disable the Nvidia firewall and download the files again, and test? It's well known for causing download (CRC) issues.

nvidia do have a firewall.. I got it with my motherboard...

I know the files are ok because 1: i got a friend to download some and he was able to upzip it and send the EXE file to me .. (2) and i did it in work today.. plus it's happening on very ZIP/RAR file....

heres an image of task manager. I'm running a check with trend Micro house call to see if it finds anything..
    http://img415.imageshack.us/img415/2720/task0mj.gif

• Advertisement

I meant/suggest: Downloading 1 or 2 files that provide MD5 sums to check against. Compare the sum of the downloaded file to that of the file on the web-server. (Try heanet's FTP server.)

Or,simply disable the firewall and download the files again and test...

i disabled the firewall and it still happens..

i dont know what you mean by MD5...

I downloaded a file from my own server and it still doesnt work,, i get this error "! C:\Documents and Settings\David Stokes\My Documents\2130.rar: Unexpected end of archive"

Whats Heanet's FTP server.. ?

NeVeR wrote:
    i disabled the firewall and it still happens..

i dont know what you mean by MD5...

I downloaded a file from my own server and it still doesnt work,, i get this error "! C:\Documents and Settings\David Stokes\My Documents\2130.rar: Unexpected end of archive"

Whats Heanet's FTP server.. ?
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie

still doesnt work,

It also doesnt let me install windows service pack 2...... p!ssing me off now...

• Advertisement

Reinstall the OS.

NeVeR wrote:
    It also doesnt let me install windows service pack 2...... p!ssing me off now...
    From a CD or download?

from the download. I have the Windows update from 98 to XP and it has Service pack 2 on it but when i put the CD in but i dont see the option to just update.

I might have to re-install windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 withneill

TRy a system restore to the day before it all went wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

If you are using different user logins, try a new profile, as corrupt profiles can have this kind of effect.

21/25

i dont have any user login's

I dont know the day it went wrong.. but I just built the PC and installed windows so it could be happening from Day 1 and i just didnt notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

NeVeR wrote:
    i dont have any user login's

I dont know the day it went wrong.. but I just built the PC and installed windows so it could be happening from Day 1 and i just didnt notice.

Could try a few things:

Reinstall your windows installer
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en

If this works install some form of anti-spyware to see if it pulls up anything.

Are you using a legitimate Windows XP Source ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Anytime I have upgraded an OS (as opposed to a fresh install). Things have gone horribly wrong.

Now I avoid upgrade packs like the plague.

layke wrote:
    Anytime I have upgraded an OS (as opposed to a fresh install). Things have gone horribly wrong.

Now I avoid upgrade packs like the plague.

True upgrade packs are cheap tho, to do a fresh install is the same as a normal disk cept it will ask for a previous windows disk jsut to verify

Blitz wrote:
    True upgrade packs are cheap tho, to do a fresh install is the same as a normal disk cept it will ask for a previous windows disk jsut to verify
    That was true with older OEM versions of Windows 98SE seeing as it was an update from a 16bit to 32bit operating system, however upgrades these days modifiy the existing OS with it's own libraries and stuff so that essentially it becomes the newer OS, but the core files of the previous OS are still there, just updated, and backed up should you want to downgrade again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wscntfy.exe.html

Check the above link , this little beauty is the first item in your task list , and can be the cause of all you have posted.

Disable this as opposed to disabling the firewall , and see if the problems go away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Achilles wrote:
    That was true with older OEM versions of Windows 98SE seeing as it was an update from a 16bit to 32bit operating system, however upgrades these days modifiy the existing OS with it's own libraries and stuff so that essentially it becomes the newer OS, but the core files of the previous OS are still there, just updated, and backed up should you want to downgrade again.
    As a general rule upgrades don't fix problems they just inherit them. Don't upgrade unless your copy of windows is totally reliably. Also disable / uninstall all antivirus / malware programs

When you upgrade you inherit many of the old settings including any problems with settings.

oddities
    Scanners that worked with Windows 2000 - but ONLY if it was an upgrade from 98 :rolleyes:
    NT4 Upgrade, based on NT3.51 , two 32 bit OS's , you couldn't reinstall NT because it expected to see earlier version, use an OEM copy of NT4 instead. And speaking of NT4 OEM on the cd there was a program called ROLLBACK, which did what it said on the tin. Only problem was that if you ran it on a system that wasn't an upgrade it scrubbed most of your OS.

As a general rule upgrades don't fix problems they just inherit them. Don't upgrade unless your copy of windows is totally reliably. Also disable / uninstall all antivirus / malware programs

When you upgrade you inherit many of the old settings including any problems with settings.

oddities
    Scanners that worked with Windows 2000 - but ONLY if it was an upgrade from 98 :rolleyes:
    NT4 Upgrade, based on NT3.51 , two 32 bit OS's , you couldn't reinstall NT because it expected to see earlier version, use an OEM copy of NT4 instead. And speaking of NT4 OEM on the cd there was a program called ROLLBACK, which did what it said on the tin. Only problem was that if you ran it on a system that wasn't an upgrade it scrubbed most of your OS.

Very valid points, i upgraded from Windows ME to XP once...... it was a dark day...

There is an option somewhere to Uninstall Windows XP i think (its one of the options in the Add remove programs). Unless youve run a cleanup and deleted "Old Windows 98 Files".

Advertisement