Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when you are drunk..

Options
  • 09-07-2006 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

..do you say things you mean that you wouldn't normally say while sober? i.e if someone a bit pissed said they loved you, would they really mean it or would they just think they mean it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Everyone does, but i think when you're drunk you exist in this timeless idyllic world where you have the power to say and do the things you'd normally have the good sense not to, there're serious extremes of emotional highs and lows which lead to some really stupid, (and frequently hilarious) situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Personally it can go either way. Sometimes I'll spout complete rubbish ("I invented the question mark"), and sometimes I'll be saying things that are really true.
    But I think the most common thing for drunk people is taking something that they think, or something that comes to them on a whim, and really running with it, exaggerating and so on. As an example, I think my friend is cool, and so while drunk I inanely rant at her about how bloody great she is.
    So to answer the question about the love thing, it probably means he/she thinks your pretty cool at least, but it not might be anything more than that.
    EDIT: Also tone is important. If the drunk in question took you aside and said they had something to tell you, is very different to them throwing their arm around you and going "I ****ing love you".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

curious21 wrote:
    ..do you say things you mean that you wouldn't normally say while sober? i.e if someone a bit pissed said they loved you, would they really mean it or would they just think they mean it?
    Take everything he said to you under the influence with several pinches of salt. Feel free to bring it up with him when he is sober.

Sometimes people wait to say important things until they are drunk, to soften the words with drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

in vino veritas.....

In vino feritas! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

curious21 wrote:
    One of my friends told his Sergeant that he loved him at the friends wedding last week.

Alcohol both disinhibits and confuses people, so while they may admit things they wouldn't normally admit, what they admit may not be the accurate truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I wouldn't take it as truth when the person is drunk. They usually say things to try and make you laugh rather than whole truths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Well never use drunken rants, texts and calls for a basis for anything.They can tell you when they're sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭michaela

a drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

IO dont agree wuth the vino veritas thing cos I talk a loto f ****e when im drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

michaela wrote:
    a drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts!!

And woman's!

A lot depends on age I think. Alcohol mainly only removes inhibitions and fears in the majority of people so whereas someone may normally be reserved, or even scared about expressing affection, they lose that reserve/fear. As you get older, you mostly become more confident in expressing yourself so being drunk doesn't have any significant effect on your conduct towards others. That's a very general guide, but your average 18yo will likely go "oh god" next morning at something they said/did, whereas your average 36yo will laugh/shrug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

RandomOne wrote:
    As you get older, you mostly become more confident in expressing yourself so being drunk doesn't have any significant effect on your conduct towards others.

Way too general I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If words of love be there before the drink
    Then those passion words hold promise
    When inhibitions are thrown to winds
    Of lust between two that become as one.

But if care is not there without the drug
    Words are but words having no meaning
    Beyond a time when sobriety arrives
    Suddenly showing the foolishness of some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

What I say when drunk is what I'm too afraid / shy to say when sober.
    (But it's the truth)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP, did someone tell you that they loved you when they were drunk?

If so, I had the same situation a few months ago. Had been going out about 4 months. He told me on 2 seperate and quite drunken occasions that he loved me. I let it slide. Didnt bring it up, as I was afraid that it was just the demon drink. Anyways, few weeks later he told me, sober, that he loved me. If thats your case, give him a bit of time. He might need a bit of courage and the drink is artifically giving it to him. If he means it, he'll say it when he's ready.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/txt/ah/Herodotus/Persia.html
    Customs of the Persians
    * Wine - Drunk in large quantities. Decisions must be made and confirmed when they are both drunk and sober. (Intellect and Emotion) (Her.Hist.1.133)
    But every other civilisation used a more sober approach.

Some very drunk people just love everyone, that's what they'll tell anyone. So for some people it means nothing because they aren't only telling just one person. Any way the word "love" is too vague to be certain outside context. "I love my job" is not quite the same as undying love for a soulmate.

DidThey? wrote:
    If he means it, he'll say it when he's ready.

No. If he means it, he won't say it and will prove it instead of saying it. And also, he should realise it's a marathon and not a sprint...4 months? Jesus Christ!

Cheesedude.

Its been questioned here before.

When is too soon to say to someone that you love them? There is no wrong or right answer. It feels right for different people at different times.

He told me he loved me, I didnt say it back, because it wasnt the right time for me. But it was for him. Different strokes for different folks Im afraid.

And if he does have loving feelings, he will say something when he's ready. Please dont tell me you are one of these people who rarely tells their partner that you love them. People show love, and thats so so so important, but its also important to tell the person too, so that they know that you appreciate them.

Victor wrote:
    One of my friends told his Sergeant that he loved him at the friends wedding last week.

Hah, that made me laugh..must've been very awkward the next day!

Uhm, its kinda hard to tell actually.. I suppose it somewhat depends on their use of words! What is the situation in which it happened?

DidThey? wrote:
    Cheesedude.

Its been questioned here before.

When is too soon to say to someone that you love them? There is no wrong or right answer. It feels right for different people at different times.

He told me he loved me, I didnt say it back, because it wasnt the right time for me. But it was for him. Different strokes for different folks Im afraid.

And if he does have loving feelings, he will say something when he's ready. Please dont tell me you are one of these people who rarely tells their partner that you love them. People show love, and thats so so so important, but its also important to tell the person too, so that they know that you appreciate them.

People throw around "I love you" too frequently nowadays for it to be taken seriously in my opinion. Look @ most relationships our age, I'm 22 so here me out. Just an example, a couple have been togeather for two years and are madly in "love" with each other. One of them is going away for the summer on a J1 and would like a break from their partner...? Your telling me that is love? Fair enough, only one example. My point is, instead of people saying it, they should show it more often to each other. Some people think they are in love when they simply are not. By all means, feel free to say it if it's true, and I have no problem with that. And let's face it, it's easier to say three words than to actually show it consistantly. If you asked any partner in a relationship 1) would they prefer to be told "I love you" or 2) for their partner to consistantly show their love to them instead of saying it. Most would say 2.

Hah, that made me laugh..must've been very awkward the next day!
    Like you wouldn't believe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The kicker was that the lieutenant in question whose wedding it was woke up in bed with another man...

NTM

Such are the evils of drink.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

<Hic>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

The kicker was that the lieutenant in question whose wedding it was woke up in bed with another man...

NTM

Dont ask, dont tell MM. :D

Advertisement