Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Form 12 Tax Returns

Options
  • 09-07-2006 12:59pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend told me that you can claim back work expenses and other items that you bought during the tax year.

He said you could claim back expenses on items that you hand claimed back via employer.

He was suggesting items such as bus ticket to work, lunch, work clothes etc basically anything used for work.

So what I was wondering is what you can and can’t put down on your expense.

So far I was thinking

Bus fare for the year
    Lunch money
    Suits etc I bought for work
    A laptop I use for working at home (not sure about this one!)
    Petrol money (again not sure about this I get mileage expense but not petrol money!)

Is there anything else I should or shouldn’t be including?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

AFAIK to claim back your bus fare you have to get your company to buy either monthly or annual bus/rail cards for you, you can't just claim the cost of single tickets back later. I could be wrong though :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ok I'll take that on board.

What about my pension? Can I claim tax back on that?

You're probably best talking to an accountant or looking at oasis.gov.ie or revenue.ie but I think PRSA's are tax deductible but other non-standard pensions aren't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

markpb wrote:
    You're probably best talking to an accountant or looking at oasis.gov.ie or revenue.ie but I think PRSA's are tax deductible but other non-standard pensions aren't.

Dont know what a PRSA is so I'll have to check that out!

I was on the revenue.ie site and thats were I got the form but dont know how to fill it out

Do a search on the web for a document called 'Guide to Completing 2005 Pay & File Returns', it should be called trg2005.pdf. It's probably on the revenue website. It's pretty comprehensive, runs to 62 pages and answered most of my questions.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote:
    Do a search on the web for a document called 'Guide to Completing 2005 Pay & File Returns', it should be called trg2005.pdf. It's probably on the revenue website. It's pretty comprehensive, runs to 62 pages and answered most of my questions.

Probably what I'm looking for and some lite reading before bed. Just what I need!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

i'm not sure if you would have found this out in that tax form but you will not receive any tax relief on anything that is not wholly and exclusively for the purpose of you worlk.

For example food, this is not needed to work it is needed to survice and therfore tax relief will not be given for it.

Another example of this is clothing you do not buy clothes just to work in. It is believed by the revenue that you buy clothes to protect your modesty. What clothes you wear it doesnt matter if you decide to buy a suit costing 50 euro or 1000 euro its your choice thereofre no tax relief however if its a uniform then you will get a small relief.

Advertisement