Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannavaro to Chelsea

• 09-07-2006 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

According to todays Ireland On Sunday*, a deal has been brokered to bring Cannavaro to Stamford Bridge on a 3 year deal. If ever the premiership was going to be a procession its the coming season.

What a statement of intent - Shevchenko, Ballack and Cannavaro! The latter signing could mean the end for Carvalho though, as Chelsea will have Terry, Carvalho, Cannavaro and Gallas.

(* the fact it is in this paper would suggest the story is untrue).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I posted this about 2 weeks ago. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=262341&page=23

It'd be some signing if they were to get him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

And Gallas will have to stay if Milan go down. Unless of course Real or Barca come in for him.

Cannavaro is a superb signing if they get him.
    Terry, Gallas, Carvahalo and Cannavaro. Amazing centre-backs.
    When will they all play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If Chelsea manage to sign him, or another top class player...I'll go mad! They really have some squad as it is. Kalou,Ballack,Shevy and Mikel have already arived. They also completed a deal for a promising Bristol city player. With only Maniche, Huth and Carlton Cole depearted, surely more will have to leave? Carvalho will not leave Chelsea, he also had a decent WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Trilla wrote:
    If Chelsea manage to sign him, or another top class player...I'll go mad! They really have some squad as it is. Kalou,Ballack,Shevy and Mikel have already arived. They also completed a deal for a promising Bristol city player. With only Maniche, Huth and Carlton Cole depearted, surely more will have to leave? Carvalho will not leave Chelsea, he also had a decent WC

Trilla youll back me up on this, a good friend of ours is mad into italian soccer and he said Cannavaro has said he will stay with Juve if they go down. It sounds so typically Italian, proud and honourable that it might just be true!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Juve's imminent relegation + Cannavaro MVP at the world cup + Abramovich's bank balance = a reporter at the Ireland on sunday joined the dots and made up the story cos its believeable and will help sell the paper.

although because of the above mentioned dots it cant be 100% ruled out.

Edit: having just read the article in question i have to say im very surprised with how definite the statement is being put across i.e "Cannavaro has agreed a three year deal" "Mourinho now has four top-class central defender" it seems to be suggesting its a done deal even tho nobody else has even reported it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Wasnt cannavaro in talks with Juve about signing a new contract a few weeks ago?

Trilla youll back me up on this, a good friend of ours is mad into italian soccer and he said Cannavaro has said he will stay with Juve if they go down. It sounds so typically Italian, proud and honourable that it might just be true!

Wolly? if the Wolly speaks, he speaks the truth. Cannavaro is staying should the Wolly say he is. He is 33 shortly, so it may be true.

I know CB isn't Uniteds weekest position at the moment, but imagine him in a United shirt. Cradle of Filth................Fllllipppin Deadly! Unlike my dialup connection which is desperate slow tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

All I can say is I pray he doesnt go to Chelsea.. What a player, he should have got golden ball ahead of Zizou... Incredible player..
    But I dont see Chelsea signing another CB..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I would be very suprised if he did. He 32 or 33. Hes a legend in Juventus and Italy now. He wouldnt ruin that and leave for chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Imagine this for a team though:

Cech
    Gallas---Terry---Cannavaro---???
    Makelele

Essien
    Ballack

Lampard
    ---Shevchenko---Crespo

Apart from the left back (Del Horno? Roberto Carlos?), who is the weak link in that team? Lampard? Whether it would work or not is of course another question, but surely that would be the most talented collection of individuals in Premiership history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

All they'd need to do is add Cannavaro's mate Zambrotta into that left-back position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Gallas sitting on his contract (they wont sell him) so in a year hes free to leave.
    Seems thats why Cbs are heading Chelsea now.

kdjac

Cech
    Gallas---Terry---Cannavaro---???
    Makelele

Essien
    Ballack

Lampard
    ---Shevchenko---Crespo

Great Team (it hurts to say that) - look at the rest fightin for the bench! prob have left out someone as well.

Cudicini
    Robben
    W Phillips
    J Cole
    Del Horno
    Obi Mikel
    Duff
    Kalou
    Bridge
    Johnson
    Drogba
    Ferriera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Imagine this for a team though:

Cech
    Gallas---Terry---Cannavaro---????
    Makelele

Essien
    Ballack

Lampard
    ---Shevchenko---Crespo

Apart from the left back (Del Horno? Roberto Carlos?), who is the weak link in that team? Lampard? Whether it would work or not is of course another question, but surely that would be the most talented collection of individuals in Premiership history.

Can't see Mourinho going for 2 strikers myself. Infact I doubt Crespo will be in the team much anymore. He prefers Drogba.

id say

Cech
    Ferreira---Terry---Cannavaro---Del Horno
    Makelele

Ballack
    Lampard
    ---Robben
    Cole
    Shevchenko

That's not my favourite team by the way, just what I think Mourinho will start off with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Unearthly wrote:
    Can't see Mourinho going for 2 strikers myself. Infact I doubt Crespo will be in the team much anymore. He prefers Drogba.

id say

Cech
    Ferreira---Terry---Cannavaro---Del Horno
    Makelele

Ballack
    Lampard
    ---Robben
    Cole
    Shevchenko

That's not my favourite team by the way, just what I think Mourinho will start off with
    Well, its been in the news that Mourinho may change to the aforementioned diamond system with Drogba/Sheva up front and all the wingers benched. He was sort using it towards the end of last season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

And it didn't work for him to well really. I hope he does play that as even though it is full of fantastic players I think this is the formation that will allow other teams to frustrate them more and park the bus as he accused Spurs of doing the season before last.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's the system he used at Porto that won him the Champions League, which may have something to do with it. I reckon he'll use it.

Real have now declared an interest in Cannavaro, thus displaying their ambition of buying up every player from the world cup.

According to sky sports news, Real have stated they'll sign the player in the next 5 days.

Now where have I heard that before??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think Capello is going to ensure that Zambrotta and Cannavaro are going to Madrid with him.

It's known that Capello loves Zambrotta's work ethic and the fact that he can play on either side of the defence or on the wings. Just before all the bad news came out for Juve, Capello had him sign a 5 year extention.

To be honest I think part of the reason Madrid signed Capello is that he'd have easy access to rock solid defenders, just the type of players Madrid have been looking for.
    In the italian press there's talk of him bringing 5 or 6 players with him. However Real have talked of 7 signings for the summer in total ranging from Ribery to Cesc to Heinze, perhaps expect then 3 or 4 to come from Italy.

I really think Cannavaro and Zambrotta will definatly go, I'd say Buffon would as well but Iker Casillias is so good Real might stick with him. However don't be too surprised if he's dropped for the Italian.

Advertisement