Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting VHS to MPEG

Options
  • 09-07-2006 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place, but anyway. Can anyone recommend some hardware and software to convert some old VHS tapes i have to MPEG? I am looking for somthing as cheap as possible as i will only be using it a few times

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this is something I would love to know as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Hardware:
    Anything here. Or a bit more useful I might add get a TV tuner which has composite/s-video inputs and use that at least you will get some extended use of it.

Basically match up the output from your VHS to either the composite or s-video input, you may require a scart-composite/s-video adaptor if your VHS has only scart outputs.

Software:
    Most hardware comes with basic third party software.
    Windows Movie Maker will do as well because the quality of VHS is so poor it wont make any difference converting to wmv and then to MPEG-2.

Alternative option - use a DVD recorder and plug the VHS recorder into it and then record the tapes to DVD through it. The DVD's can then be edited on your PC with a program like Nero.

Advertisement