Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Link 624+ Wireless Router Issue

Options
  • 09-07-2006 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

OK

This may be a long shot but maybe someone else out there has encountered a similar problem... I have a D-Link 624+ wireless router (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6). The router has been performing fine ever since installed (2 months ago). Up to now, the router had a single CAT5 cable running from it to a PC (and a broadband connection going into the WAN port). Yesterday, I wanted to login to the D-Link administration page as my sister wanted to connect her laptop wirelessly to the router (and I needed to check the WEP HEX Key).

I soon discovered that I had forgotten the password I had set 2 months back to access the admin webpage (which one can visit by entering 192.168.0.1 in a web browser of a PC conected to the router). Reading some tips on the web I found that one can reset the router to factory defaults, by pressing in a paperclip into the hard reset hold at back of router. I did this (pushed in paperclip for 10-20 seconds) and then tried to visit the 192.168.0.1 page again in the browser of PC connected via CAT5 to router.

The admin page for the router would appear for maybe 10-20 seconds before my PC could no longer communicate with the router. I am fairly familiar with networkingso then tried the following: at a MS Dos command prompt I tried 'ping 192.168.0.1 -t' to get a continuous report on the status of whether the router was 'up' or not. On rebooting the router (by plugging power out, and then back in again), the ping starts to return successful replies from the router, these last for about 20 seconds and then the pings timeout with no reply any more from the router.

It seems as though doing a hard-reset on the router has screwed it up, as it now only lasts for 20-30 seconds after powering it up. After that the PC can no longer communicate with it. I have Google'd this problem and can't find much apart from other ppl complaining about this router... Does anyone have any tips on this? Would be much appreciated as I don't fancy going through the rigmarole of contacting D-Link, returning router, having replaed etc. this will take forever..

Any tips appreciated,

jAH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

This thread on Broadband Reports suggests that there might be a problem with interference in the ireless channel. If you have "Auto Select" set for the wirless channel, the router mey reboot if it needs to change channels. (It shouldn't, but maybe it was a problem in some version of the firmware. If you can get it to stop rebooting, I'd definitely upgrade the firmware to the most recent version).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

yeah trouble is accessing ir to do athe software upgrade... have you tried doing a hardware re set a second or third time?? disconnect and recoonect power watch the light while your holding the button after about ten seconds release and if its properly re set the lights will all flash and come back on again slowly..then try default ip address.. nothin to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Thanks for the tips guys. I dont think the problem is with interference on wireless channel as this is out in the middle of countryside. also, I can't even connect using CAT5, never mind wireless.

johnnieM: yes I must have tried about 5 hard-resets at this stage and no joy. Interestingly, if I power down the router, then press in the reset button, then power-up (with reset button still pressed) - the following happens:

When I release the reset button and view 192.168.0.1 in browser I now see an upgrade your firmware type page with a 'browse' button thingy. problem is that I have got hold of the newest firmware, but the router fails after about 15 seconds which isn't enough time to browse to and upload the new firmware..

aarghhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

[
    When I release the reset button and view 192.168.0.1 in browser I now see an upgrade your firmware type page with a 'browse' button thingy. problem is that I have got hold of the newest firmware, but the router fails after about 15 seconds which isn't enough time to browse to and upload the new firmware..

aarghhh![/QUOTE]

I know that feeling... pick up another wi fi router and bring that one back to where ya got it.. tell em its faulty... ps when you do set it up try use wpa psk make it 63 random alpha numeric charct in case you forget it you can cut and paste it somewhere... Un hack able with a key that long..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Bizarre .... I gave the router a couple of days rest, powered down. Tried it again today - powered up, connected CAT5 to the PC's NIC and hey presto no problems. One hour later, it is still performing fine. I don't understand this but am delighted it is back up and running! Fingers crossed it will hold!

Thanks again for the help.

jAH

• Advertisement
Advertisement