Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet dash query - matching new and old

Options
  • 09-07-2006 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

I've completed a new extension which I want to externally render using a wet dash (white cement). I also want to match the wet dash on the old portion of the house. The problem is that the old wet dash is 60 years old and dull grey and the new wet dash will be, well new, and bright white. I've received the following advice for dealing with the old dash:

1) Chisel off the old, apply 2 coats of render and re-dash

or

2) Apply 2 coats of render and re-dash.

Since the old dash is in good condition and all I really want is to brighten it up so that it matches the new dash on the extension I'm wondering if there is an easier way:
    Could I mix up a slurry of white cement and apply it directly over the old dash?
    Would it bond correctly? If not, would a coat of PolyBond help?

BTW I'm reluctant to simply paint the old dash because of the effort to maintain a painted exterior.

Comments

Advertisement