Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prey

Options
  • 09-07-2006 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone started it yet? im just about to install :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

did not like the demo so not gona play it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

really liked the demo, cant wait for the game to come out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

game finished
    its alot like doom and quake 4, fighting monsters in small dark rooms.
    the gravity effects are nice.
    the weird thing in this game is you can't die, making it very easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

tuxy wrote:
    game finished
    its alot like doom and quake 4, fighting monsters in small dark rooms.
    the gravity effects are nice.
    the weird thing in this game is you can't die, making it very easy.

Yeah I was wondering after playing the demo how that was going to work.

Maybe the developers realised that everyone just F5 Quicksaves their way through FPS these days anyway, so came up with a slightly more interesting yet ultimately the same, system.

I mean there are very few FPS out there that you have to retry sections of the game over and over even if you die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

tis ****ing cool so far, 3 hours in and i'm not getting bored yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Didnt like the 360 demo but IGN just gave it 9.0
    I might rent first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

All I can say about it at the moment is... about bloody time it came out! It was in production for around 10 years, wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I enjoyed the demo somewhat but I don't know, there's "something" missing that stops me going out to buy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

For anyone interested in the PC version, GAME are giving a free copy of Serious Sam II. Retailing for €44.99 everywhere but Dixons (they're €49.99).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Got this yesterday, cleared it just now. I'm very happy with it-especially considering I only paid €12 after trading in 2 games I wasn't too fond of. Sure it's not the most intelligent shooter on the planet, but what story that's there is very well executed and it's very polished. Weapons are very satisfying too, though not as much as FEAR...

My only real fault with the game is the lack of challenge, I died very few times, when I did though, I was very impressed by the alternative to the usual save and load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Got this yesterday, cleared it just now. I'm very happy with it-especially considering I only paid €12 after trading in 2 games I wasn't too fond of. Sure it's not the most intelligent shooter on the planet, but what story that's there is very well executed and it's very polished. Weapons are very satisfying too, though not as much as FEAR...

My only real fault with the game is the lack of challenge, I died very few times, when I did though, I was very impressed by the alternative to the usual save and load.

Is this what has become of games?
    Buy a game yesterday, paying €44.99 (or the equivalent of) and finish it today. And feel satisfied?

Pfft, once a long time ago, I would buy games only when they were on budget release, because I was cheap. Now I am doing it because the developers are :(

Ivan wrote:
    Is this what has become of games?
    Buy a game yesterday, paying €44.99 (or the equivalent of) and finish it today. And feel satisfied?
    How about a game being good enough that I buy it, play it pretty much non stop for a day, clear it, and am satisfied that I did so....anything wrong with that?

You and me have always felt differently about games, I see it as a good buy if it has provided me with good gameplay over a few hours and didn't annoy the hell out of me. You, on the other hand like crap games, and are completely wrong about deus ex being better than half life...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

are completely wrong about deus ex being better than half life...

It's his opinion, so it cant be wrong.

And clearing a game in two days after paying €50+ isn't good lastabilty, even if you enjoyed every second, you only got to play it for a tiny amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

different strokes for different folkes, some people like re-playing games even if they do finish them quickly, or don't mind short SP if good MP...

It's his opinion, so it cant be wrong.
    I know Ivan very well and that's a little joke I make with regards to games to wind him up.
    And clearing a game in two days after paying €50+ isn't good lastabilty, even if you enjoyed every second, you only got to play it for a tiny amount of time.
    It's my opinion, so it can't be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Still a waste of cash, if people fork out that kinda money all the time, games will get shorter, and shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Lemlin wrote:
    For anyone interested in the PC version, GAME are giving a free copy of Serious Sam II. Retailing for €44.99 everywhere but Dixons (they're €49.99).

I'm over in England (if you couldn't tell), and there was a similar offer at PC World, though Prey is £30.

The concept of the game Prey sounds very cool and definitely worthy of playing/buying, but who is to say a game cant be long/challenging and with a good concept/story line/gameplay.

For example, I just started playing Ikaruga on the gamecube. By all standards an incredibly short game with only 5 levels, each potentially taking no more than 3-5 minutes. That said, I've been playing it almost continuously for 3 weeks now and have only lasted about 1 minute on the 4th level.

To say this game is hard, is a minor oversight, but its damn fun/satisfying along the way.

Contrast that with painkiller which to me, was just a snooze filled fps rehash with a few gimics tacked on for "revolutionary's sake" :rolleyes:

As for the age old Deus Ex vs. Half-life debate I think my feelings are pretty obvious (or at least they soon will be :p) Ironically enough I spent a week finishing Half-life and 3 days finishing Deus Ex but then, once I finished Half-life I just moved on to Worldcraft, the level editor. With Deus Ex I went back to play the game again. Not just to try out the other 2 endings, but to genuinely do different things, like save my brother this time. To try the other mods, or like Francis did quote

"go through the nightclubs and kill each group of people without the others noticing me, stacking up the bodies and destroying them all with one well placed grenade. So the next day when the cops come to investigate a whole nightclub vanishing it will become one of those amazing unsolved crimes for the next 100 years."

You just didnt get that kind of experience/gameplay from Half-life.
    Though, if you can tell me that you can get that or something even remotely close to that, from Prey replayability, then I will withdraw my earlier statement...

Still a waste of cash
    Not at all, I have the money to spare, and I really like games, I clear most games after a few days play and very rarely go back to clear them again unless there's a genuine reason(such as half life 2 ep 1 commentary). 12 hours gameplay for me, is more than enough to justify paying €40, any more than about 30 hours is too much...

Back on topic....did anyone else find the news broadcasts very amusing?

Ivan wrote:
    The concept of the game Prey sounds very cool and definitely worthy of playing/buying, but who is to say a game cant be long/challenging and with a good concept/story line/gameplay.
    What's to say it needs to be long and challenging and have a good story to be a good game, the most important thing is that it is fun to play, prey is lots of fun to play. There wasn't a single point in the game where I stopped playing because I was put in a situation that really pissed me off, in fact I can't think of a single element of the gameplay that annoyed me in the slightest. As I said before it could have done with being more of a challenge, but at least I didn't give up on the game completely because I ended up at a boss fight with 16 health and no desire to play the previous few hours again.

Games today have far too many annoyances getting in the way of the gameplay, just yesterday I nearly threw my copy of trauma center in the bin because I repeatedly failed a mission, had to put up with about 2 minutes of skipping dialog then about 3 minutes of gameplay that was the exact same every time until the last bit that ****ed me up. Prey does not have this kind of ****, and it's a good thing.

With regards to your other points, deus ex is ****, half life is better than it, and ikaruga rocks, now lets not discuss either in this thread.

• Advertisement

Ok, I_am_Dogboy, you have yet to go wrong with your opinions on games, in my book (except of course for Deus Ex :p) so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'll go buy Prey on monday and if it sucks, so help me...! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Prey is actually surprisingly good, when i played the demo i thought oh no another FPS with the doom 3 engine and all the bells and whistles that entails, yet the story is rock solid, the visuals are very very good and the twists and turns are brilliant (and i dont mean the plot, dont want to spoil its so thats all im gonna say)

Over all a very polished product worthy of even the most jaded FPSers attention

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

played the demo on the 360 the other day and my god it was sh1te, if this is what's passing as a good game these days, i think i'll give up gaming. I wouldn't touch this with a stick after playing the demo

Same old thing, when the demo started in the bar i thought it was going to be class. Then it turned into doom, it is also very stereotypically cheesey with the whole native indian thing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Vegeta wrote:
    played the demo on the 360 the other day and my god it was sh1te, if this is what's passing as a good game these days, i think i'll give up gaming. I wouldn't touch this with a stick after playing the demo

Same old thing, when the demo started in the bar i thought it was going to be class. Then it turned into doom, it is also very stereotypically cheesey with the whole native indian thing

This was basically my impression too. I loved the BoC themed Alien sequence at the start, but after that, it seemed to be Doom/Quake4. I actually dont think a "no brain AI + puzzles" FPS sounds good anyhow..

I just get the feeling its getting great reviews based on hype and the fact there is no other big FPS out at the moment. Much like Painkiller when released..

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I played through the demo on the 360 the other night, and while it's very polished, and introduces some interesting gameplay twists and flips :) I found it very linear. Now, that may be just the demo, but the intro in the bar felt like it was going to be some kind of sandbox-type game ala GTA, but then it turned into a shooter with usually one way to go, with a bit of problem solving along the way. Maybe the MP section is better, but it didn't make me want to rush out and buy it.

Ciarán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I think you could finish it in ten hours or less, because theres no way to die,so it would make a good rental, its very linear, according to the reviews.Just read a full review be4 you buy it,its got alot of new ideas,like shooting from,portals,on ceilings,all directions ,reverse gravity mechanism,unfortunately like many single player fps games its over too soon.I would not like to pay 70euro for the 360 version,if i had a 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i enjoyed it enough.

But...

It felt very much like Quake 2. Cant explain why, but while I was playign it, i kept thinking back to quake 2.

The story was a big disapointment. Can someone explain one tiny detail, which i think i misunderstood.
    the ghost things that possess, the little children, who were they? Cause i might have misheard it but 'mother' says when you first meet them, that 'they were not here before you' So I was hoping for a spiritual third side to fight against, a 3 way finale. Which never came so was a big disapointment, i found the whole final part of the game quiet dull, esp after you kill jen. Which I might add seemed like the most pointless plot twist. If your trying to make someone take over your job, dont piss him off and kill his girlfriend, make it that you must join the sphere to save her/be with her. Turnign her into a monster was a pointless boss fight. Also it added to my speculation that there was a third side in the fight, which was what was really lacking in the game.

also the plot stinks of having chunks of it cut out to meet a deadline. esp the bits with grandfather

Loved the gravity and portal tricks, but the weapons were a disapointment (didnt use grenades, took too long to throw and rocket launcher was useless)

and deathwalk made me very lazy while playing the game.

strangely enough i'm enjoying serious sam 2 (which came free with it) very simple and at first dull, but the big fights later on are fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Vegeta wrote:

My exact thoughts, what was the point of putting in a jukebox and the card games if they are only there for all of 5 minutes of the game (except for the ridiculous reappearance of it in the alien ship) I really was hoping for some earth based alien battles, and invisioned Daniel Day Lewis and some indian warriors weilding a tomahawk attacking aliens all over the shop. But no, a Quake 4/Doom 3 clone, and not just the engine, the gameplay also. Dark, industrial corridors over and over. Still, from the Demo, it had more for me than Doom 3, but not as good as Quake 4 imo.
    From reading the review thread of prey, I can't believe what they did with his girlfriend, thats a blatant ripoff from Quake 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm not very far into this but tbh I'm really not very impressed as yet. It just seems to be more of the same and brings nothing new to the table.

Portals... wow! They look pretty and fun but they don't do anything for me and I feel like they just put them in to *try* bring something new to the table. They do nothing for gameplay and are just eye candy imo. Meh, hopefully it gets a bit better the further along I get. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The portals and wacko gravity really make this game, fighting enemies who to you appear on the roof, or on the walls, or whatever such way is incredably fun and them gravity buttons are very interesting too, but all these tools werent used to their fullest, several puzzles were redone again and again
    enter spirit, run through forcefield, turn off forcefield, was done about 15-20 times if I recall
    and the plot was thin to say the least.

The weapons were also disappointing the goo shotgun was pretty pap, the rocket launchers second function was laughable, and the grenades were entirely useless, however the thing in slot4 which was the 4 in 1 job was very fun to use, and an excellent idea imo, the base weapon (*pistol*) was also quite fun, doubling up as a sniper rifle, the gun you get off the first boss is also very fun to use, but with only 3 guns that are fun to use (and then the rockets) the weapon list is fairly short, and it does get tedious using the same weapons over and over which was a major drawback (getting bored of the weapons in a 6hour long fps is pretty bad), and finally the length, dear jebus, its about half the length of Quake4 or HL2, if even, which is insanely short even by todays standards
    and the last boss is entirely too easy, she barely even attacks at all, she sends 4 or so peons at you at one point but otherwise shes harmless, the last part you can hide behind the buildings no bother, I dont think she ever hit me once

However the game, for all its briefness and short comings was still very fun to play, some of the puzzles were well thought out and very off the wall, fighting on all planes is also a very refreshing twist, theres also several vehicles sections to split the game up, which are also pretty fun, dont expect it to be the best FPS ever, but I found it to be an interesting twist on the done to death FPS formula.

Advertisement