Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Galway!

Options
  • 09-07-2006 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I'm moving down to Galway come September to start a new job and the biggest thing I'm thinking whereabouts I'm going to move in. I don't really have no idea about the different areas in Galway so any advice in that regard would be much appreciated i.e. where are the nice areas/places to stay away from. I'm going to working in the Parkmore West business park. Are there any buses that go that way?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

There's a bus from Eyre Square East (No. 3 I think?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

nachos wrote:
    I'm moving down to Galway come September to start a new job and the biggest thing I'm thinking whereabouts I'm going to move in. I don't really have no idea about the different areas in Galway so any advice in that regard would be much appreciated i.e. where are the nice areas/places to stay away from. I'm going to working in the Parkmore West business park. Are there any buses that go that way?

Cheers!

If your working in any of the factories up that way then there are buses available,the amount of people woking up that way is huge.Probably best to keep to the east side of the city or somewhere around the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just make sure you live on the same side of the river as the place you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Dun Angus is a great spot and smack in the middle of town.
    other than that Foster Court and bohamore (Spelling) are good for you too as the bus runs along that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Those new apartments in bohermore, behind/beside the statoil station on the roundabout, That would be prefect for you. Dont know what they are called though, but anywhere along bohermore would probably suit ya. And you are within walking distance of the city centre from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Is there any website for the Dun Aengus apartmets. Can't seem to find one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I hear Castlepark is a nice place*, not too far from your workplace either :D

* May not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Your budget will decide a lot. Disposable income is important if you want to live in Galway. If you are going to be bang in the middle of town; High St can be too close (as in Murphy's, Freeney's, Kins Head). Get the Galway Advertiser online and check out the prices. If you are going working nights you might be better off in Doughishka, Ballybane, Roscain, Mervue. Monivea Pk. is a nice handy spot; near shops, pubs, bus route, cycling distance to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

Yes I also hear great things about this place:D *.

No responsibilty accepted in the event of your car being burnt out.
    JohnCleary wrote:
    I hear Castlepark is a nice place*, not too far from your workplace either :D

* May not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Renmore is not too bad either, at least it's close to Parkmore, and it's a little bit nicer and closer to town than Ballybrit, Ballybane, Doughiska and all that...

Obviously, Doughiska would be the best choice if you want to be very close to Parkmore...

My favourite is Salthill, but you would need a car to get to work (and the traffic jams in the evening are not much fun!)

The no 3 bus is a pain, so I heard, cause it's hardly ever on time, and sometimes does not show up at all...(only hear-say, I don't do public transport...;-))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

No 3 bus is fine in fact it's always on time so much so it leaves early some times grrrrr.
    As for the apartments in Court Seoge forget about it ...1100 per month for a gammy 2 bed ..beautiful inside yes but way over priced...aimed squarely at the yuppies who have money to burn.
    Dun Angus has many places advertised on daft but if you go down there they're on the window of the main door sometimes..
    I'll check later today for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Worked out in Parkmore years ago.If your working a day shift a workers bus leaves from Knocknacara goes through Salthill then Eyre Square and out to Parkmore.There was also one that ran from Parkmore all the way out to Knocknacara for evening workers going home.
    Personally i got pi55ed off with how unreliable the bus was after a while so i eventually got a bike and cycled it and still got home or out to work faster.

There are buses for Medtronic at 0700 weekdays, or maybe 0730, from the top of the square. You can ride along on those and then walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

I'll be looking to be sharing in a house with a budget of about 400 a month excl bills. Is Terryland a nice area? Seems close enough to Parkmore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I lived in Terryland, Castle lawn heights, 300 a month last year. I loved it.
    Very close for shopping etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm going to be looking for a large double-bed room in the city centre soon.
    Too many places are "female preferred" or "ns".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hah, don't I know it. Think I have a place beside roisin's now. So many places are ns, women only, men only, no mix and they occasiion, 'None of yee are foreign are you?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ddea

Bothar an Coiste is a road with hundreds of fairly new houses further out the Headford Rd than Terryland but actually closer to Parkmore (via a back road). Lots of owners are first time buyers looking to rent rooms and €400 pm would be about right. Main disadvantage is distance fom city centre - 40 mins walk but regular bus service. Might be worth checking out if any are advertised on the Galway Advertiser website.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I dunno how things got to this stage, where €400 a month is considerd the norm for a room out in the suburbs.
    I live on the docks at the moment for the same money, and I feel it's extorionate.
    Looking to get a bigger room for less money.

No point in aiming low wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

biko wrote:
    There are buses for Medtronic at 0700 weekdays, or maybe 0730, from the top of the square. You can ride along on those and then walk.
    Is that bus for boston employees too? I've been getting the normal 7.35am bus which leaves promptly at 7.30.

I'm paying 400e pcm in a 3 bed in gort na coiribe. Its a cool location, about 25 minute cycle to medtronic. Any available ones tend to go very quick though so you'd wanna be on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ddea

Depends what you're looking for Syxpak. In suburbs €400 might get you a large double ensuite room. Someone who will be working nearby might find this preferable to a small city centre room for the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 letterkenyan

I work in Parkmore East and live in The Paddocks. The Paddocks is the closest estate to Parkmore and they are fine houses. I pay €304 a month and I have a massive ensuite double room.

The thing about Doughiska is that its a huge hill to walk up in the morning and the accommodation in Doughiska is further away.

Maybe it is better to live in the city as it would handier going out at night time but there is a good bus service although the last bus from town is at 11 P.M. Buses number 3 and 9 goes from Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

So many places are ns, women only, men only,

Doesn't leave many genders left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 megp16

You cud just not go to Galway and stay here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

I lived in Terryland, Castle lawn heights, 300 a month last year. I loved it.
    Very close for shopping etc too.

Im living there this year, me and 3 mates, 320 a month each but the house is nice and is close enough to pretty much everything!

Ah nice, I lived next door to the shop and the chinese takeaway. :D

Slap bang in the middle of town this year...

am I the only one living in the city center and paying 680,-/month for MY OWN 2-bed apartment (rented)???

400 for a room in a shared house? Holy cow!

galah wrote:
    am I the only one living in the city center and paying 680,-/month for MY OWN 2-bed apartment (rented)???
    Jaysus, you must be raking in the cash to afford that ;)

nope, it's all about priorities though (rather pay more rent and have my own space than go drinking 7 times a week or so because my housemates are driving me out of the house...)

It's not THAT much more compared to, say, 400 for a room, and it's mine...;-)

Was just wondering though - it really seems I was very lucky with my place when I hear what other people pay...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

party as galah's!!!!!!!

Advertisement