Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat weight problem?

Options
  • 09-07-2006 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

We have a kitten 9 months old and it being Sunday, no vets are open so I wanted to get any ideas that people may have. She is still on dry kitten food as thats what we were told to feed her until she is a year old, then onto the adult cat food. The thing is she has what looks like some belly fat (I think it may be worms), she gets enough exercise and all indoors. Any other ideas or comments, danke in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Hi,

Is she neutered? Cats have a tendancy to put on weight when they have been neutered. Also, I read somewhere that cats develop a pouch at their tummy as added protection because they wouldn't be as aggressive if they got into a fight because they are neutered and this pouch gives a bit of extra padding! Don't know if that bit is true or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its grand... as SMK said.. happens if neutered... My kitten is around the same age as yours and she is the same.. her mom has a similar pouch thing... its grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

She is indeed neutered. Thanks for the replies just looks a bit odd, will bring her in for a check up anyway just to be safe. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I have a one year old female and she has always had a bit of a belly. She's been to the vet and he's never commented on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

You could easily switch to cat food now -- at 9 months there is negligable growth left, so kitten food (which is high in fat) isn't strictly required anymore.

• Advertisement

Yep we are just back from the vet. She said we could go ahead and switch the food to some adult diet stuff. She is a little over 1lb overweight so we'll have to be more strict on her for a little while. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Cats continue to grow until about 18 months of age, i wouldn't be putting a 9 month old kitten on a diet of any sort:confused:

Arcadian wrote:
    Cats continue to grow until about 18 months of age, i wouldn't be putting a 9 month old kitten on a diet of any sort:confused:

Well unless you are a qualified vet, I think I will take their opinion over yours. ;) She reckons that she will not grow anymore.

Advertisement