Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Attention Irish Motorists

Options
  • 09-07-2006 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

If you are driving along a road and a car is driving right behind you he is more than likely wanting to pass you so IF ITS SAFE TO DO SO just pull in slightly and let him by :)

Its the simple things you do that make the world run smoother ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Isn't it illegal now to drive on the hard shoulder with these points brought out in April.

As for enforcing........well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Yes, it is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

junii wrote:
    Isn't it illegal now to drive on the hard shoulder with these points brought out in April.

Only on a MOTORWAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

junii wrote:

Drive maybe, but pull in slighty and let someone by, doubt it

So not on a national road with a hard shoulder?

• Advertisement

I don't mean pull all the way into the hard shoulder so none of your car is on the road

junii wrote:
    So not on a national road with a hard shoulder?

what?

I know some places its impossible to pull in, i mean on main roads wheres theres plenty of space

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

junii wrote:

You get points for driving in the hard shoulder of a motorway (note the continuous yellow line). Also note from http://www.irishmotoring.ie/cms/uploads/propossed_rules_of_the_road.pdf
    The hard shoulder is not an extra traffic lane and [FONT=JDFCAO+TimesNewRoman,BoldItali,Times New Roman]should not normally be used as such by traffic other than cyclists and pedestrians[/FONT]. If a driver wishes to allow a following vehicle to overtake, temporary use may be made of the hard shoulder to pull in if there are no cyclists/pedestrians already using it and provided that there is no junction or entrance in the vicinity.

I know what your saying now fighting irish and I shouldn't think it is as long as you don't go on the hard shoulder.

You probably just mean moving left slightly which makes things safer for everyone.

junii wrote:
    I know what your saying now fighting irish and I shouldn't think it is as long as you don't go on the hard shoulder.

You probably just mean moving left slightly which makes things safer for everyone.

You can go on the hard shoulder temporarily (see above)

• Advertisement

jd wrote:
    You can go on the hard shoulder temporarily (see above)

Apologies. I misread your post.

I rarely pass out people cos i drive a punto and going at 80-100km/h and the punto is too slow at them speeds, but i do notice some people driving and they take no notice of the drivers behind them

I rarely pass out people cos i drive a punto and going at 80-100km/h and the punto is too slow at them speeds, but i do notice some people driving and they take no notice of the drivers behind them

Some people think they own the ****ing road esp. BMW and MERC drivers. Whats up their fckin holes?

Michael O leary is the only one who should be allowed do this. He probably owns at least half the roads! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Driving (even partly) on the hard shoulder is a little dangerous, you need to know:
    - is the car behind actually going to over take, or is he just driving too close?
    - how many other cars behind are there also wanting to over take?
    - how long will all this take?
    In the time/distance that this will take, can I see:
    - what's the surface/quality of the road like? (some hard shoulders are v.bad & can change quickly)
    - are there any side roads/entrances that some one might pop out of?
    - what's the exit strategy, margin of error if it starts to wrong? (i.e. not like I expected).

Effectively it's everything overtaking is, except instead for the person being overtaken!!!

bbbbb wrote:
    Driving (even partly) on the hard shoulder is a little dangerous, you need to know:
    - is the car behind actually going to over take, or is he just driving too close?
    - how many other cars behind are there also wanting to over take?
    - how long will all this take?
    In the time/distance that this will take, can I see:
    - what's the surface/quality of the road like? (some hard shoulders are v.bad & can change quickly)
    - are there any side roads/entrances that some one might pop out of?
    - what's the exit strategy, margin of error if it starts to wrong? (i.e. not like I expected).

Effectively it's everything overtaking is, except instead for the person being overtaken!!!

Thats a good point but I still stand to what I said above about BMW and MERC drivers because there ignorant in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

If I see someone tearing up the road behind me and I'm at the limit I refuse to let him pass me even if he's up the arse of the car. Stick to the limits and be sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

junii wrote:
    Thats a good point but I still stand to what I said above about BMW and MERC drivers because there ignorant in general.

I think this applies...
    oldposts.jpg

:)

I should have realised. I will try and be more mindful in the future!

kensutz wrote:
    If I see someone tearing up the road behind me and I'm at the limit I refuse to let him pass me even if he's up the arse of the car. Stick to the limits and be sensible.
    It is not your job to enforce the law. If someone wants to get by me,I'll try and make it easy for him, even if my speedo says I'm at the limit.(which is another thing-speedos can overstate your speed by up to 15%, so you can't assume that someone who wants to overtake you is exceeding the limit)
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

kensutz wrote:
    You realise that this stupid attitude is going to cause an accident right?
    Does not matter that you are at the speed limit and they are obviously breaking it!! Apart from the fact its NOT UP TO YOU to deicide that.. you are going to force the car behind you to take a dangerous risk if they are so desperate to get by!!

Would you still think yourself all high and mighty if they overtake you and plough into an oncoming car killing a child??? Had you just moved out of the way for a few seconds....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Sorry I meant on normal roads around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Saruman wrote:
    Would you still think yourself all high and mighty if they overtake you and plough into an oncoming car killing a child??? Had you just moved out of the way for a few seconds....
    Would you be high and mighty if I pull over and get a blow out due to crap being on the hard shoulder and my car flips and my entire family die?

People who feel the need to force others to let them past are idiots.
    If I am driving on or at the speed limit then YOU are the one who is driving dangerously.

I cannot believe that there are people arguing for this attitude.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

GreeBo wrote:
    Would you be high and mighty if I pull over and get a blow out due to crap being on the hard shoulder and my car flips and my entire family die?

People who feel the need to force others to let them past are idiots.
    If I am driving on or at the speed limit then YOU are the one who is driving dangerously.

I cannot believe that there are people arguing for this attitude.:confused:
    I think the point that people are making is that where a driver feels it is safe to do so they should allow another vechicle that wishes to overtake them to do so.

I'm not condoning agressive drivers who sit too close to another cars bumper waiting to overtake but I do think it can be counterproductive to hold them up unnecessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

If you can't over take safely without the car infront pulling in you shouldn't be over taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

junii wrote:

And your particular gripe is? I drive a BMW, but I make way to people trying to overtake me, I stop to let people out of junctions, I watch out for unlit cyclists at night, and, believe it or not, I stop for people broken down at the side of the road!

Get over yourself and stop tarring everyone with the same brush. Otherwise, the rest of us may have to lump everyone who generalises drivers of a particular brand into a group of "Particularly Ignorant People".

OP - sorry for the hijack, but had to get that off my chest. I think you make a good point. Funnily enough, I find that when driving through the midlands, more people tend to make space than driving in the west. Local attitudes, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

saobh_ie wrote:
    If you can't over take safely without the car infront pulling in you shouldn't be over taking.

What absolute twaddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

saobh_ie wrote:

What a load of crap.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

junii wrote:
    Some people think they own the ****ing road esp. BMW and MERC drivers. Whats up their fckin holes?

Michael O leary is the only one who should be allowed do this. He probably owns at least half the roads! :D
    I won't acknowledge the ignorance of the BMW/Merc comment, but what is the O'Leary comment about as I really don't understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Anan1 wrote:
    What absolute twaddle.
    prospect wrote:
    What a load of crap.

Please explain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

saobh_ie wrote:
    GreeBo wrote:
    Please explain.

If the car in front can safely pull in, thus making it safe for you to overtake, then why shouldn't you be overtaking?

Advertisement