Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax

Options
  • 09-07-2006 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

Is Motor tax evenly divided up per county in Ireland?

What i mean is, say the government makes 50 million from carlow motorists(motor tax) is all that 50 million put back into carlow roads or is it split differently?

I'm asking because tome the only roads in this country that are anyway decent are in dublin :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Motor tax doesn't necessarily even go back into the roads never mind a specific county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

junii wrote:
    Motor tax doesn't necessarily even go back into the roads never mind a specific county.

but the money that does go back is it split evenly so the same % goes back to each county

well, michelstown bypass was just finished recently so for the last few years they would have been getting much more than anyone else.

The ennis bypass also in the last few years.

Depends of size of countys and existing infrastructure I suppose.

How they decide how much goes where, I dunno... suppose councillors have to propose plans for the next year to Cowen to decide how much they will get towards these plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

but the money that does go back is it split evenly so the same % goes back to each county

Overall Dublin and the East pays more into the tax budget than it recieves, there is a net transfer of spending out of the region.

John R wrote:
    Overall Dublin and the East pays more into the tax budget than it recieves, there is a net transfer of spending out of the region.

Do you mean by net transfer that its distributed according to how much is paid from where and if so I can't imagine how this works on an overall scale...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

National Routes are funded from central government by-passes would be considered as such. R roads and the like are maintained from local government budget. In fairness local government is absolutely useless and unnecessary in a country of this size

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

it ALL goes into the central revenue, local authorities are then allocated their budgets annually.

Motor taxes are not spent on/ring fenced for motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Sorry, I meant that N & M roads are centrslly funded. (i.e local government has notinh to do with the building of them) whereas they maintain and build city centre roads etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Motor Tax goes straight to the Local Government Fund which is paid out on a needs and means basis, i.e. political slush fund.

What do you mean by local government. Surely you mean county councils?
    What is the local government fund?

So, does that mean N&M roads have nothing to do with county councils if there paid through central government. Who manages them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

junii wrote:
    What do you mean by local government. Surely you mean county councils?
    Local government = town, borough, city & county councils.
    What is the local government fund?
    All income to the government goes into a limited number of funds, the Central Fund, the Local Government Fund, the Environment Fund (plastic bag and landfill levies, etc.) and I think one other. One fund can't be spent on the other.
    So, does that mean N&M roads have nothing to do with county councils if there paid through central government. Who manages them?
    National Roads (including Motorways) are owned and managed bu councils, but financed by the government via the NRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

junii wrote:
    well, michelstown bypass was just finished recently so for the last few years they would have been getting much more than anyone else.

It hasn't been started yet. They only built a relief road so it won't turn into a new fermoy once the fermoy bypass opens.

To be fair and not sound like an installment of the Joe Duffy show, the roads have improved a LOT here in Cork in recent years.

maidhc wrote:
    It hasn't been started yet. They only built a relief road so it won't turn into a new fermoy once the fermoy bypass opens.

To be fair and not sound like an installment of the Joe Duffy show, the roads have improved a LOT here in Cork in recent years.

It was on the news about 2 weeks ago that Cullen was down there for the opening. At the time I also think he said that government policy wasn't to blame for the high road deaths.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tbh the only good roads I've been on are far outside dublin. Just about every road within dublin is hopelessly inadequate. Compare the M4 past Lucan/Leixlip with the N4 on the Dublin side, or the M1 past the Airport with the M1/N1 on the dublin side.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

junii wrote:
    It was on the news about 2 weeks ago that Cullen was down there for the opening. At the time I also think he said that government policy wasn't to blame for the high road deaths.
    If you look through this governments (and presumably previous governments) term in office, you will notice that they were responsible for all the good things but the bad things were everyones fault but their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

kbannon wrote:
    If you look through this governments (and presumably previous governments) term in office, you will notice that they were responsible for all the good things but the bad things were everyones fault but their own.

What is funnier is how the good news much be announced about 10 times.... e.g. "Transport 21".

stevenmu wrote:
    Tbh the only good roads I've been on are far outside dublin. Just about every road within dublin is hopelessly inadequate. Compare the M4 past Lucan/Leixlip with the N4 on the Dublin side, or the M1 past the Airport with the M1/N1 on the dublin side.

i mean the quality of the actual road

pot holes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 34,900 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Rest assured, there is no shortage of potholes / loose gravel / dodgy repair work etc. in Dublin. There's one large pothole in particular (I need to keep a close eye out as I'm a motorcyclist) on the South Circular Road on my commute which has a bit of gravel thrown into it once in a while, next time it rains heavily we have gravel all over the road and an even bigger pothole. Muppets. Also every time a pipe, duct, cable or what have you is laid or replaced, and in a city this happens very frequently, the road is never filled in properly and smoothly afterwards.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ninja, its the same all over the country.

Stephen wrote:
    Ninja, its the same all over the country.

yes but is the money split up properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Is Motor tax evenly divided up per county in Ireland?

What i mean is, say the government makes 50 million from carlow motorists(motor tax) is all that 50 million put back into carlow roads or is it split differently?

I'm asking because tome the only roads in this country that are anyway decent are in dublin :rolleyes:

Motor tax is a tax on the use of public roads.

It isn't a tax to pay for roads, although some of it may eventually be used for that purpose.

Tommy.

Advertisement