Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd Ref?

• 09-07-2006 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭

I dont post/read a lot in this forum so this may have come up but it popped into my head after watching this final.
    Why the hell has a 3rd Ref not been introduced into the game of soccer? After watching this world cup and see'ing these guys take soooo many dives i feel that with the addition of a 3rd ref to stamp this rubish out the game would be a whole lot better.
    Take tonights game, that penalty would not have been given if they could had taken 15seconds to watch the replay and see that player had blatantly dived, its rubish.
    If the players new there was a 3rd eye in the sky they wouldnt act like fragile little tea cups, and get on with the game of soccer.
    They should be penalised heavily!! for diving like they do, toni was just a joke tonight, ronaldo is another one. It really spoiled the tournament for me :(.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Cos you would have to stop the game to view the video, fans would riot if a peno they thought they had was a red card for diving.

And you cant have a 2nd ref at one level but not at every other level.

Im sure one day we will see something like it.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It would lead to far too many stoppages imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Ye, just running through it in my head and it could get ugly, but i think when something as important as a penalty in the final of a WC is being given, they need to be sure. If the ref is not 100% sure he should have the option to check the cams!
    If france had won the game from that penalty i would probably have never watched this sport again, it may as well be rigged ffs!!
    Something has to be done about the diving though, i feel like getting up and walking away every time a team scores on account of a dive...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Well there is a 4th official and it looks like it was he that requested that Z be sent off seeing as the linesman didn't see anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

The guys on rte made the point that the players and mangers are responsible for it. And its true, we point the finger at the ref, but its the player who is cheating.

If the likes of Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho put it to their players that if they dived they wouldnt play again it would dissappear. But it would appear that winning comes before fair play.

Also I dont see why players arent punished after gaems. Review a "dive" and punish the player with a ban. Wont erradicate it as players will still sacrifice themselves to win one game but it would certainly lessen it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

I will say this, if by 2010 they have not found a solution to this diving, i may not even watch :(. This is a terrible thing to say considering it might be played in my home country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ponster wrote:
    Well there is a 4th official and it looks like it was he that requested that Z be sent off seeing as the linesman didn't see anything.

Im hopeful that this the stepping stone to using tv as a basis of cuttin g out cheating. As in a previous thread I made the point that the time a player spends rolling around the ground in agony, the 4th offical can view his monitor and determine the nature of the players agony. Whether it there was an accident, intent or pure cheating happening. Both this, penalty issues and over the line issues would be the primary areas where in can be used. that leaves very few incidents where the ref can be slatted for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

In American football they have like five or six referees its crazy watching the whole game, making sure the rules are followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

I agree totally that diving should be reviewed by a panel after the game. If the millions watching on TV can all see it from the 25 replays, it makes a mockery of the game when no repercusions come of it. During the game is different matter and needs careful thought.

FIFA already review violent conduct from replays, and retrospectivley punish with further bans, e.g. De Rossi and Rooney, but for some reason not Figo, and he only got a yellow for his headbutt :rolleyes: So why not also punish the divers and those faking something that could get an opponent in big, big trouble? e.g. Henry clutching his face when not touched there. They did it with Rivaldo in the last world cup, so why not keep it up?

Where's the consistency? The message about cheating is simply not getting through.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

i heard that fifa are trying to get another referee onto the pitch so that one would do one half and the other one do the other half of the pitch.
    a bit confusing i think. they said it works in NHL so why not football:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gwynston wrote:
    FIFA already review violent conduct from replays, and retrospectivley punish with further bans, e.g. De Rossi and Rooney, but for some reason not Figo, and he only got a yellow for his headbutt :rolleyes:

They can only punish players that weren't punished already by the ref during the match.
    Like not being tried for the same crime twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Eh? But both De Rossi and Rooney got red cards from the referee, AND then got extended bans when reviewed. That's being tried twice isn't it? The ban for a red card is supposed to be one game!

Figo only got a yellow for a headbutt, and FIFA said they wouldn't punish further because the ref had already given out his verdict. If they can give out bans retrospectively (like Rivaldo in 02) they should do it consistently....

Yeah I see what you mean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Well the referee only has the power to give red cards, they can't give out bans during a match. But obviously some things are worthy of much more than a red. So the ref sends the player off, acknowledging the foul, and then FIFA can take further action if necessary. If the ref only gives a yellow, then for FIFA to take further action after the event would contradict the referee's judgement. Quite simple, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Yeah I think they should look at a system whereby anyone proven to have dived after a panel look at a video should be punished. It's disgusting the way Ronaldo et al are getting away with it at the minute.

Slightly off topic, in terms of borderline offside decisions, I've always felt that a video ref should be introduced and could be used as follows: If an attacking player is borderline offside, let the play run and see what develops. If he doesn't score, then play on as normal but if he scores, then go to the video and check whether or not he was offside. It wouldn't take long to check. Rugby isn't held up for long while a decision is being made by consultation with the video ref. This system could also be applied to whether or not a ball crossed the line (that famous Spurs goal/no goal v United comes to mind).

My 2p worth!

Advertisement