Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greece gets €210m from EU for broadband projects

Options
  • 09-07-2006 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

http://www.dmeurope.com/default.asp?ArticleID=16586
    €210m in state aid will be given to Greek authorities for the purpose of boosting broadband penetration, announced the European Commission.

While densely populated metropolitan areas like Athens and Thessalonika receive broadband service, most of the country is made up of mountains and islands with low population density. Network providers do not extend their services to cover these areas.

To address the disparity between the major metropolises and the rest of the country, the Commission will fund both the provision of broadband access by service providers, and the stimulation of activities that will encourage demand of services by end-users, such as the purchase of PCs, modems, and training.

Edit: Title

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Heh, when I read the title of the thread I thought the EU were getting scabby all of a sudden... think you need an 'm' in there after the "€210".

Is this a GBS scheme on a grander scale me wonders...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Oops. Changed title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Did the Irish government not get €170 mln sometime last year for something similar?
    Anybody know what has been done with that money?

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

mayhem# wrote:
    Did the Irish government not get €170 mln sometime last year for something similar?
    Anybody know what has been done with that money?

E.

GBS I would suspect as well as Satellite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

juliuspret wrote:
    GBS I would suspect as well as Satellite!

Nothing really constructive then?

E.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

mayhem# wrote:
    Nothing really constructive then?

E.

I wonder if eircom ar degrading our Copper on purpose so as to save money for the Fibre rollout or are they just paying off their investors.....hmmm!

Advertisement