Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime figures

Options
  • 09-07-2006 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Limerick city's crime rate has been steadily declining and official figures from 2005 show that Limerick now has one of the lowest serious crime rates in Ireland. These figures also show that Limerick had a lower crime rate in 2005 than the cities of Dublin, Cork, Galway and Waterford, with Waterford ranked top in the list of crime rates per population.
    Furthermore, recent years has seen serious crime in Limerick being only linked with family feuds within certain areas of the city, mainly Moyross, Southill and St. Mary's Park. The Irish press may suggest that crime in Limerick is spiraling out of control, which is simply not true as the bulk of crime is primarily contained within these family feuds, and does not take place randomly to anyone in the city.
    The Irish press (especially Dublin based press) tend to focus in on and exploit Limerick's bad reputation as a means of diverging attention off Dublin's crime problem which itself is certainly spiraling out of control.

It will go down well with the Cork and Galway clan:D

Has Limerick become safer 23 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    somewhat the gangland still creates paronia and bad press
    43% 10 votes
    nope
    39% 9 votes
    not sure
    17% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Limerick and Limerick people need to move beyond their fascination with this city's reputation, particulary in relation to crime. Lets start putting a positive image forward of the city, rather than continually trying to assess what we think of ourselves and how others see us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Limerick; City of Dreams people, just give us time!

for info.. www.deadbattery.net just putting together d proposal right now, so any last minute suggestions can be emailed to john@deadbattery.net

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It's a pointless question really.
    Anyone who knows Limerick will know tell you that there hasn't been a serious crime problem, that effects the day to day life of normal people in over a decade.
    People who just read the sensational papers believe whatever they want to, and no amount of facts will change their minds.
    My personal favorites are the people that come to Limerick with a preconceived notion of the city, and then go out of their way to find trouble!
    All of a sudden, seeing a knacker in the street amounts to a life or death situation when you're talking to your friends!
    I remember a guy from Dublin telling me he was attacked by a scumbag with a knife.
    I asked him about it, and it turns out the guy didn't attack him at all!
    He just called him "gay" as he passed.
    I asked him, when he pulled the knife, and he said, "well I never saw a knife, but you could tell he had one"!
    This guy was going around saying how bad Limerick was because he has almost stabbed to death, when all that happened was that some scut (probably only 15 or so) called him a name!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Don't believe a word you read in wikipedia.

There are offical stats. on the Garda site somewhere. Limerick is ok, but not super by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

But thats the problem, even we continually deny that Limerick is dangerous we still need a new way to define the city. We need to re-examine how we portray the city.

Cork has the second city vibe, Galway has the cultural title, as well as the party town rep, so how can Limerick brand itself? I know we are seen as the Sporting City, but apart from rugby we're in the doldrums in hurling, football and soccer.

I'd like to see the City Council really chase the Sporting city title, we should be doing everything we can to get Limerick FC back into the top division with a top standard stadium, we should make the riverside a top class sports facility, with the Rowing clubs, Running Clubs and Triathalon clubs all getting top level support.

Other ways we could promote our sporting heritage might be things like giving Sam Lynch, a twice world champion, a statue near St. Michaels (his club) etc.

I also think Limerick should be centre of a number "popular" athletics events throughout the year, things like the Christmas Day run to Annacotty should be highly promoted as a good fun way to give back to the city, a half marathon "Streets of Limerick" should be started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Don't believe a word you read in wikipedia.

There are offical stats. on the Garda site somewhere. Limerick is ok, but not super by any means.

Ahhm, who said anything about wiki?
    How about the garda crime stats for 05?
    That authentic enough for you?

I lifted this off of the last Limerick Crime thread, cause there's no point in typing it all again!
    (All cred to Iggy!)
    Iguana wrote:
    Last years figures are here.
    http://www.garda.ie/angarda/statistics/report2005.html

These figures are stunning, I knew Limerick's image was badly distorted compared to national crime figures, but I couldn't have imagined by how much. And I'd never in a million years have guessed that THE most crime ridden area of the country, per head of population, was Dublin South Central. Do you know how much property costs there?

I thought I'd stick in a few of the main points for those who wouldn't be bothered to download or read through it.

Headline Offences 2005 (these are the biggies, like murder, rape, armed robbery, assault and burglary) per 1000 of population.

Dublin Total; 44,991. Cork Total; 9162. Limerick; 5,717.

Dublin has more than seven and a half times the crime of Limerick per capita. The worst area is Dublin South Central with 9,643. 44% of these crimes happen in Dublin, the southern region which includes Limerick and Cork, as well as Kerry accounts for 16%.

Still not convinced? Lets break it down.

Murder

Dublin Total; 27. Cork Total; 3. Limerick; 1.

Per 100,000 people;

Dublin Total; 2.35. Cork Total; 0.66. Limerick; 0.56.

Of these figures 3 murder victims were women, all were killed in Dublin. Dublin had more than 4 times the murder rate of Limerick last year. The highest murder rate in the country is in Dublin South Central, with 6.81 per 100k. This accounted for 7 murders, including 2 women, the most murders (10) actually took place in Dublin Western.

Rape and Sexual Assault, per 1k population.

Dublin Total; R; 0.12 / SA; 0.30. Cork Total; R; 0.09 / SA; 0.19. Limerick; R; 0.10 / SA; 0.21.

The worst area in the country for rape was Donegal, per capita and in amount, with .28 and 38 rapes. It was the same for sexual assault with 0.72 per capita and 99 actual. It needs to be said that these are the reported figures. It is estimated that less than one third of rapes are reported to the gardaí.

Robbery & Aggravated Burglary, with Firearms

Dublin Total; 228. Cork Total; 10. Limerick; 19.

per 1k population

Dublin Total; 0.2. Cork Total; 0.02. Limerick; 0.11.

The worst area for these crimes is Dublin North Central with .49 per 1000 people. The highest amount however is Dublin Western with 52 actual. Dublin accounts for 65%, the Southern Region for 8%

Right I could go on, but I'm suffering from insomnia and I'm very tired. The reason I didn't include Galway is because Galway is split into Galway West and Roscommon/Galway East, so it just wasn't possible. It is not a slight against the city and county.

Still believe the medias crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

i was just wondering as i read this on wikpedia (type in limerick city its at the top)
    that limerick is the 3rd biggest city in the republic (we all know that)
    but were the 5th on the island? i thought it was 4th? what am i forgetting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

nope because its always been the same you look for trouble and
    you will get it. Limerick in no worse then galway, dublin or cork.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

If you were looking for Limerick's usp, it would be oldest city. There were large settlements in Limerick for over 5 millenia and it was the first city in the world to be granted an official city charter. It was granted in 1197 by King John, he of the castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

sorry lads but i had to show this to you guys

http://irish.rugbynow.net/blog/2004/01/27/new-stadium-confirmed/

look at the 2nd last comment and what he says about limerick this kinda crap pisses me of so much

by the way im the guy who posted the msg underneath him if ya didnt guess

• Advertisement
Advertisement