Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS Transfer

Options
  • 09-07-2006 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭

I transferred my website's DNS last Friday evening (Register.com) - the estimate was that it would take 12-24 hours. It's over 48 hours now.

My ISP is Smart BB. Should I have more patience? How long in people's experience does this transfer take?

P.S. The WHOIS and all that is updated. Email is already being redirected.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Believe this or not, even if you did the transfer on Friday evening, chances are the process wont beging until Monday morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

why would it not begin until Monday morning is the whois is already updated?
    I assume from this you mean the nameservers have changed Robin?

If thats the case, then 24 hours should be plenty of time, unless you have any local DNS settings on your PC you may have created that might make you still see the old site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It will depend on the TTL (time to live) of the previous hosting provider. If their records are not set to expire for 48 or 72 hours then you can see a considerable delay in updates spreading across the 'net.
    Basically the TTL setting tells other nameservers how long a DNS record is valid, so until it "expires" other nameservers won't bother checking for updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

Seems to have gone through first thing this morning :) .

Thanks to all those that have posted.

Advertisement