Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps

Options
  • 10-07-2006 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

This is my second year in a row to have the pleasure of a wasps nest in the attic. I've got an exterminator guy calling tomorrow as the wasps are entering the attic under the tiles less than 1m from the window of my 2 year olds room. Already I've had to kill 4 wasps in her room since Friday.

Is there anything I can do to prevent these pests from entering the attic in the first place?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

crosstownk wrote:
    This is my second year in a row to have the pleasure of a wasps nest in the attic. I've got an exterminator guy calling tomorrow as the wasps are entering the attic under the tiles less than 1m from the window of my 2 year olds room. Already I've had to kill 4 wasps in her room since Friday.

Is there anything I can do to prevent these pests from entering the attic in the first place?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

we had them three years in a row!! We got this powdery stuff from the DIY store and sprayed it into teh nests and they never returned. TBH the exterminators do a shiit job on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

TheGooner wrote:
    we had them three years in a row!! We got this powdery stuff from the DIY store and sprayed it into teh nests and they never returned. TBH the exterminators do a shiit job on purpose.
    In fainess to the exterminator, he totally removed the nest and the wasps this year are in a completely different part of the attic. I dont really fancy going near these ba$tards with anything as I had a bad experience before when I got stung 8 times after attempting to spray stuff at them in my parents house!!! I've a bit of a wasp phobia now!!!!

I want to try to prevent them nesting altogether if it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

We had this problem a few times in a previous house, in the garage (small gap), under the hall floor (via external air vent) and in the attic x 3 times (Overflow pipe).

Solution varied form sprays to smoking cynaide tablets (the latter are difficult to get unless you're in the business).

I then came across a spray which immobilises ie sedates the wasps/bees (but eventually kills everything it comes into contact within the bee/wasp hive.

It relatively x2 or x3 the cost of the regular sprays. I used both to tackle 2 hives each located at opposite ends of the attic area. I canno recall the name, but you begin spraying as you begin your approach (within 1 metre) to the hive. Continue spraying up to and including inserting the extended nozzle into the hive and fully discharged the chemical. It was scary but worked a treat. Next day we had a science class running all day to dismantle and view with awe the literally thousand of bees and the intricate chambers within the hive.

Tackling a hive in the attic can be tricky but iof you're any way squeamish better get the exterminator.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

crosstownk wrote:
    This is my second year in a row to have the pleasure of a wasps nest in the attic.

Okay crosstownk, lets see if we can prevent a third years wasp invasion.
    When the exterminator comes out to tackle the wasps he will remove the nest or hive if there is one.
    Ensure that not one scrap or morsel of that hive remains in the attic, give the attic a good going over with dustpan, brush and hoover.
    Wasps seldom use the same nest twice, but they often build one beside the previous years nest.
    Pieces of last years nest remaining could be why you have this years problem.

It goes without saying that all chinks and access points have to be sealed.
    Rather than use sealant or expanding foam, why not try a material that future wasps will hate.
    Clove cotton wool.
    Crush or grind a box of cloves into a jug of very hot water, add enough cotton wool to allow submerging below the water.
    Leave this to sit for at least 1 day.
    Remove the cotton wool after a time and squeeze gently to remove excess water.
    You now have the ultimate cavity filler that wasps hate.

Use the clove trick to prevent the wasps entering your childs room as well.
    If they enter through an open window try hanging a lemon spiked all over with cloves.
    They taught us how to make these in national school as an air freshener, I dont think the teachers had wasps in mind.

Bit long winded, but hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It goes without saying that all chinks and access points have to be sealed.
    QUOTE]
    Hey thanks for the advice - I'll certainly try it in my daughters room.

With regards to the attic - is sealing a good idea - surely there should be ventilation in the attic space. I don't have vented soffits as the house is 45 years old. Maybe I should get these soffits and then seal the remaining gaps as per your suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

crosstownk wrote:
    Hey thanks for the advice - I'll certainly try it in my daughters room.
    With regards to the attic - is sealing a good idea - surely there should be ventilation in the attic space.

I will bow to the superior knowledge of the builiding and roofing experts in boards Gardening / DIY section on that one. Maybe they can advise you on that one. The lecturers unfortunately didn't teach us ventilation in the Botanic gardens.

Just remember to throw a few of those cloves into a hot whiskey for yourself after all the work is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

TheGooner wrote:

Well I don't think it's the exterminators fault that the OP never got the holes/gaps filled after the nest was removed!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Yes, there does have to be some form of airflow to the attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Bossfan

I then came across a spray which immobilises ie sedates the wasps/bees (but eventually kills everything it comes into contact within the bee/wasp hive.

It relatively x2 or x3 the cost of the regular sprays. I used both to tackle 2 hives each located at opposite ends of the attic area. I canno recall the name,

Anyone got any recommendations for a decent foam spray to use?
    Having wasp problems at the moment - house has the vented soffits and that's their point of entry! Got a foam spray in Homebase (€7.49) and sprayed the vent. Took a few goes but it seems to be working.
    Only a handful have been flying in/out so must be early stages of nesting?Have to go up to attic now and check if it's worked.

Advertisement