Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Your Attitude towards parking on "double-yellow lines"

Options
  • 10-07-2006 2:22am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This has recently started to bug me when I see drivers who park on double yellow lines on narrow roads in towns, making it impossible to drive down, especially if someone is coming against you, as you might hit into them or someone else trying to get out of the tight spot. In some cases, its fine, but in others its ridiculous.

For those who know Tramore, it was outside Cunninghams this afternoon. That area is always covered by cars, and they re-done the layout of the road a few years ago to try and fix the problem after residents protested. It made it worse. The cops used to enforce it and ticket everyone, driving up and down regularly. Now its like they don't give a crap. I reported to them today after having extreme difficulty getting down, and was told "Ah there all on their tea breaks so nobody can attend", "Besides, its a Sunday afternoon and they cant find parking anywhere else".

So, whats your attitude towards such "driving offenses"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

The government really need to get tough on traffic related offences its a long time coming but eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They is bad tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Get over it, if thats your biggest problem and it has you awake at two-thirty posting here then you have little to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

muletide wrote:
    Get over it, if thats your biggest problem and it has you awake at two-thirty posting here then you have little to worry about.

So, you only obey the laws forbidding more worrying actions?

no but I think there are more important things in the world. Have a look around you might find something more interesting to concern yourself with. People double park its a fact of life

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

muletide wrote:

Im awake as im doing some stuff for a site I work on (voluntry work). Its a 24/7 Support site for Invision Power Board by IPS Inc. So im just finishing of some work now ;)

Just thought id post it, its not a major issue and it doesnt bother me to much. Just wanted to hear others opinions, but I guess some people would rather flame then comment?

sorry if I came across that way but I really think it is a miniscule problem, i am not flaming I honestly thinkl it is a harmless offence

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

muletide wrote:
    no but I think there are more important things in the world. Have a look around you might find something more interesting to concern yourself with. People double park its a fact of life

Ah, but little problems ignored tend to gather together to form bigger ones. Though, the problem here is mostly one of a poorly staffed traffic core than anything else tbh, and this is only a small aspect of it.

That is a problem worth being concerned about imho.

Edit: Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

muletide wrote:
    sorry if I came across that way but I really think it is a miniscule problem, i am not flaming I honestly thinkl it is a harmless offence

not if a child runs out from behind a illegally parked car, and is killed.

that the problem... some people just too ignorant or too stupid to see the full picture.
    ignorance in this case is certainly NOT bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Spare a thought for ambulance drivers, or other emergency services trying to get through a town in a hurry, only to find their progress hampered by some dozy/lazy twit who parks illegally.

Double yellow lines are there for good reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

muletide wrote:

With respect, the fact that there are more important things in the world has absolutely nothing to do with people being inconvenienced by other people parking illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

99% of double yellow lines are in places where only idiots would park anyway - marrow streets, in front of driveways, etc etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I know the spot well, being from the area and its really annoying.. whats worse is that its on a steep hill and its the main street too, so you're not only trying to manouve in between cars parked there, you're also trying to make your way up or down a busy enough street and on a steep hill.

Would love to see a truck come down that street and rip the sh*te out of the side of a car thats been parked there illegally on the yellow lines all because some lazy assh*le couldnt be arsed parking legally and having to walk 30 seconds down the street to get a bag of chips. :rolleyes:

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cork city's a nightmare for illegally parked cars. Most journeys through the city take zig zag formation. Cars parked smack on the corners are the most annoying.

Dublin might be more hectic with more aggressive drivers, but at least situation with parked cars is a lot better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    I know the spot well, being from the area and its really annoying.. whats worse is that its on a steep hill and its the main street too, so you're not only trying to manouve in between cars parked there, you're also trying to make your way up or down a busy enough street and on a steep hill.

Would love to see a truck come down that street and rip the sh*te out of the side of a car thats been parked there illegally on the yellow lines all because some lazy assh*le couldnt be arsed parking legally and having to walk 30 seconds down the street to get a bag of chips. :rolleyes:

Tox

And to top it all off, its single lane traffic. So if your coming down, and someones coming up -- its a game of who gets the free area first. Its very hard getting in between all the cars, making sure neither get hit, and making sure the car in front is OK too. Yet, with all this congestion - and iv seen big trucks come up and park right beside and across from the florist - the local council give permission to add an Off License there! As if stopping at that ATM wasnt bad enough, they now will be stoping at the Off License.

God help if an emergency vehicle needed access, some would be stupid enough not to even move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The local council should have the right to take away cars parked on double-yellow lines and crush them into cubes. That'll learn 'em!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Sully04 wrote:
    And to top it all off, its single lane traffic. So if your coming down, and someones coming up -- its a game of who gets the free area first.

Tut tut tut.. dont you know that a car coming up the hill has right of way.. IIRC :D

Tox

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Tut tut tut.. dont you know that a car coming up the hill has right of way.. IIRC :D

Tox

Yes but at times you cant move back, or to the side to let them pass. So that rule cant apply :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

ToxicPaddy wrote:

Tox
    i thought it was whatever side of the road the cars are parked on has to give way.... or are the parked cars on both sides of the road

Advertisement