Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L plates & full license holder required with provesional driver

Options
  • 10-07-2006 2:35am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Greetings!

A friend told me he was told about an article in the Independent there a few weeks ago (he was away on holidays, and only told me about this the other day) that stated that some court here in Ireland ruled that it "wasn't law" and was just a "guideline" that those on a provisional driver license needed a driver on a full license accompany them, along with L plates back and front. This decision was made after a guy challenged the cops after they tried to charge him for such offenses.

Now, I cant seem to find any mention of this at all. Seems a bit odd to me, as everywhere I read about it stated it was a law. Nothing about it just being a suggested guideline, and not a legal issue.

Any ideas? Seems to be a false report to me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Yea, he's right. It means you can't be pulled over or prosecuted for not having L plates up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There was a huge thread on this only a few days ago. If you search back through the mists of time, you should find it no bother.

There are no specific penalties attached to driving unaccompanied or without L-plates, hence the charges being dropped in court by a judge. But however, by doing so, you are violating the conditions of your provisional license and are thus driivng without a valid license and hence invalid insurance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dudara wrote:
    There was a huge thread on this only a few days ago. If you search back through the mists of time, you should find it no bother.

There are no specific penalties attached to driving unaccompanied or without L-plates, hence the charges being dropped in court by a judge. But however, by doing so, you are violating the conditions of your provisional license and are thus driivng without a valid license and hence invalid insurance.

Sorry, I couldnt find it when I searched. Ill keep looking. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

After a year though you don't need to display the plates afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hobbes wrote:
    After a year though you don't need to display the plates afair.
    :confused::confused::confused:

The you recall incorrectly! What on earth made you think that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

just remember that whileu might not get procouted u are still oblidged to display the L plates whilst driving., You will NOT pass your test unless they are displayed during same, in fact the driving test examiner will not sit in the car unless they are.

Advertisement