Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend some cellphone games?

Options
  • 10-07-2006 4:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Can anyone recommend any of the games at mobizzo.com? All seem to be compatible with my phone which is a plus, I am a fan of xmen legends for the console so thats looking like a pretty good game. I have no idea how the fully 3d games would run on my phone which is a razr.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

Can anyone recommend any of the games at mobizzo.com? All seem to be compatible with my phone which is a plus, I am a fan of xmen legends for the console so thats looking like a pretty good game. I have no idea how the fully 3d games would run on my phone which is a razr.

24 is actually quite good, Metal Gear-style overhead sneaky bits, with mini-games to perform various tasks, like decoding messages,defusing bombs etc. I haven't played most of the others, but Sensible Soccer's quite close to the original, so whether you like that or not is up to you. Also, stay away form anything with Tycoon in the title. They're invariably crap on mobiles.

The RAZR has decent 3D capabilites. Not top of the range, but smooth enough on undemanding games (think SNES SuperFX, but with textures). Going purely on the screenshots, of the games on that site, the only one I can't see it running at a decent FPS is Xyanide, but I could be wrong.

If you're looking for any more reccomendations, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The original and best: Snake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Galaxy on Fire excellent game but missions get a bit repedative after you've completed the scripted missions. If the trading element was better it would be Elite 2 for the mobile phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 destroyhumans!!

Trode wrote:
    24 is actually quite good, Metal Gear-style overhead sneaky bits, with mini-games to perform various tasks, like decoding messages,defusing bombs etc. I haven't played most of the others, but Sensible Soccer's quite close to the original, so whether you like that or not is up to you. Also, stay away form anything with Tycoon in the title. They're invariably crap on mobiles.

The RAZR has decent 3D capabilites. Not top of the range, but smooth enough on undemanding games (think SNES SuperFX, but with textures). Going purely on the screenshots, of the games on that site, the only one I can't see it running at a decent FPS is Xyanide, but I could be wrong.

If you're looking for any more reccomendations, let me know.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check out 24. the razr seems to have pretty good direct 3d capabilities for a cellphone, but some games seem to be alot smoother than the 3d games on snes were, like fantom overdrive from mobizzo that game runs REALLY smooth considering its graphics.

Any more recommendations would be cool thanks man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check out 24. the razr seems to have pretty good direct 3d capabilities for a cellphone, but some games seem to be alot smoother than the 3d games on snes were, like fantom overdrive from mobizzo that game runs REALLY smooth considering its graphics.

Any more recommendations would be cool thanks man :)

Doom RPG is great, sort of Dungeon Master with a shotgun, but with plenty of original touches and a surprisingly large amount of actual game to get through.

There's a seriously impressive version of the first megadrive Sonic available. I think it's only the first half, but that's still more content than most mobile platformers, and it's fast, smooth and good-looking.

There's some more decent retro/arcade conversions going around at the moment too. Puzzle Bobble, Rainbow Islands and Final Fight are good ones, Space Invaders, Double Dragon and Giana Sisters sort of aren't.

Skipping Stone is about as basic as they come, but it's novel and a reasonably fun way to spend a few minutes waiting for a bus.

For shoot-em-ups, check out Skyforce, or if you can find it, Shaft. The former is a quality straight vertical shooter, the latter sort of a mobile shooting gallery with a few twists, like shooting numbers on the correct order or shooting hostage takers without hitting the hostages etc. Oh, there's also a fairly accurate Cannon Fodder conversion.

For Racers, try the game of the new Fast & Furious movie. Tokyo Drive or something. Get the 3D version though, it's central power-sliding gimmick is fun but only feels 'right' when viewed from behind the car, and it's absolute murder on the thumbs to boot.

For puzzle-games, well there's about 8 million Sudoku games you could get, but look out for Pixudoku. It's really Picross(make a picture by filling in squares using jumbled coordinates at the sides) but presumably selling on the Sudoku craze. Topolon is initially confusing and occasionally frustrating, but highly original and quit addicitve once you get into it. Also, I think there's a Bill and Ted game that's a fairly good Chips Challenge-esque block-pushing puzzler. Having said that I think Chips Challenge itself has a mobile version, but I've never played it.

I'm also enjoying Wallbreaker 2 at the moment. The mobile market is absolutely flooded with Breakout/Arkanoid clones, but its one of the better ones I've played.

• Advertisement
Advertisement