Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier League 2007

Options
  • 10-07-2006 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

There will be 8 people in the Premier League next year. And prizemoney will also increase - £75,000 for the winner down to £15,000 for last.

Six players will qualify from the ranking list after the World Grand Prix
    One wildcard will be announced after the World Grand Prix
    The final wildcard will be annonced after the World Championships.

Given that the last two major winners (Barney and JP) are nowher near the top 6, it makes getting a wildcard very difficult. I'm very surprised the extra player (up from 7 last year) will come through the rankings rather than be a 3rd wildcard which could otherwise be used to entice over a BDO star. I suppose it is fairer they reward the PDC players....

The race for the top 6 is as follows:
    1	LLOYD, Colin	477
    2	TAYLOR, Phil	395
    3	MANLEY, Peter	377
    4	BAXTER, Ronnie	365
    5	PRIESTLEY, Den	361
    6	JENKINS, Andy	358
    7	MARDLE, Wayne	355
    8	DUDBRIDGE, Mark	351
    9	SCHOLTEN, Rol	343
    9	JENKINS, Terry	343
    9	LEWIS, Adrian	343
    12	OVENS, Denis	342
    13	PAINTER, Kevin	329
    14	MASON, Chris	315
    15	WALSH, Mark	311

Very close for 4th, 5th and 6th. Performances in Blackpool and Ireland will largely determine who makes it. 30 points for a win, 24 for runner-up, 20 (SF), 16, 12, 8 are how the points go. But according to planet darts there are 9 other ranked events also where points can be gained between now and October.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Something tells me that sky are trying to make the Premier League the biggest tournament on the calender because it brings in so much money for the station with packed crowds wherever its played. Im not sure if thats a good thing because the World Championships should always be considered as the top tournament.

The race for the top 6 is very close. If Wayne Mardle doesnt make the top 6 then I can see him being offered one of the wild cards as he brings in the crowds and most people tend to be up for him whenever he plays. I like the idea of an 8th player as it will mean that players dont have to play 2 games in the one night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 leopraces

took the words out of my mouth king. Mardle must play - he is an absolute (inconsistent) genious! Although Barnie will defo receive the wildcard.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Does anyone know when the final wildcard will be announced??? also who do you suspect it will be: Adrian Lewis, Wayne Mardle, I also seen Mervin King in the crowd at one of games in Purfleet Or could it be someone else???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It will be announced in the next couple of days. They were just waiting for the World Championships to be played because obviously if someone won it who wasnt already in the Premier League then that person would have got the wild card.

Personally I think its between Lewis or Mardle with the very off chance that we might see another of the big BDO players moving to the PDC and getting the Wild Card. There has been talk of Mervin King or Van Gerwen coming over but we will have to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mickey pearse

mervyn king is on his way to the premier league by the looks of it.will be a savage loss to the bdo.i wouldnt rule out the possibility that he wont get past the 2nd round in the embassy next week.

• Advertisement

Where did you hear this Mickey?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Eric Bristow said on the radio yesterday that Michael van Gerwen is definitely joining the PDC after Lakeside. If thats true then he'd be more likely that King to get the PL spot. Although it might depend on who goes further in the Lakeside.

Across it should be said that Bristow has been known to talk nonsense in his time.

I hope with Bristow said is true because I would love to see Van Gerwen in the PDC because I think he is a quality player and will only get better. He has beaten Barney a number of times and at only 17 I think the World of Darts should watch out for this kid. I would much rather see Van Gerwen in the Premier League than King because I really dont like King at all despite the fact he is a very good dart player.

Advertisement