Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search not working?

Options
  • 10-07-2006 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

If you look at this thread, in the very first post I ask if anyone is in a particular realm in WoW:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054955738&page=2

If however one searches for the term Ravenholdt, there are no search results /shrug/
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoardTracker

Its actually the 21st post in the thread.. not the first..

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

Urgh, sorry; the first post of the 2nd page :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

plenderj wrote:
    Urgh, sorry; the first post of the 2nd page :rolleyes:
    First post of the second page for me is the 41st post.

Search us a bit finnicky though.

Mother of jesus... this post:
    plenderj wrote:
    Anyone on Ravenholdt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

For someone who is employed by boards thats not exactly a very userfriendly answer is it mate?

EDIT: My bad sorry bout that boardtracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

BoardTracker were not employed by us - they kindly helped us when we were in trouble. Get your facts straight MOTR.

My Bad.
    Got the impression they were under your employ.

And FYI, the reason we had loads of 120 today (I kid you not) was still because of vBulletin search - it sucks, and I'd ask all moderators and subscribers not to use it if at all possible.

How come the sudden jump in search load?
    It seemed to happen quite fast.
    Did boards have a user base jump or is it from the addition of ads.ie onto the servers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoardTracker

How come the sudden jump in search load?
    It seemed to happen quite fast.
    Did boards have a user base jump or is it from the addition of ads.ie onto the servers?

The ever increasing popularity of boards.ie probably has something to do with it..

Most users ever online was 1,240, Today at 13:06.
    Most users ever online was 1,295, Today at 15:25.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

We are certainly busy today 1100+ users online at the moment.

More guests than members.

The ever increasing popularity of boards.ie probably has something to do with it..

Most users ever online was 1,240, Today at 13:06.
    Most users ever online was 1,295, Today at 15:25.

:eek:

Thats insane, do we know why theres the sudden jump in popularity? Do we have a secret thread everyones looking at lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Like so many others, I've found boards.ie a fabulous resource since I first found it 3 years ago. The lack of the regular search facility has resulted in it being more difficult to scan through boards effectively. However, I'd be at pains to emphasise that I am not taking anything for granted here - I know i'm not entitled to demand such a thing seeing as i'm not a customer handing over €€ for a servioe.

I know this issue of vBulletin searches has been discussed before with some suggesting that there should be a sub. charge and others thinking that this would be against the spirit of boards itself.
    I just wonder if it is possible to leave boards as a freely accessible forum for all BUT to allow vBulletin searches for members who are willing to pay for the facility? I'm making the assumption that its even possible that vBulletin can be setup to offer searches to selective registered users??

Eurorunner wrote:
    Like so many others, I've found boards.ie a fabulous resource since I first found it 3 years ago. The lack of the regular search facility has resulted in it being more difficult to scan through boards effectively. However, I'd be at pains to emphasise that I am not taking anything for granted here - I know i'm not entitled to demand such a thing seeing as i'm not a customer handing over €€ for a servioe.

I know this issue of vBulletin searches has been discussed before with some suggesting that there should be a sub. charge and others thinking that this would be against the spirit of boards itself.
    I just wonder if it is possible to leave boards as a freely accessible forum for all BUT to allow vBulletin searches for members who are willing to pay for the facility? I'm making the assumption that its even possible that vBulletin can be setup to offer searches to selective registered users??

Subscribers have access to Vbulletin searching still. Mods etc too.

Eurorunner wrote:

It's against our credo to start charging for things that were previously free. Unfortunately, severe system slowdowns means that we've had to limit vBulletin search to certain usergroups, I'm sure you understand that we are looking at solutions.

Get another server and loadbalance or offload the search functionality onto a different server?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Cloud wrote:
    It's against our credo to start charging for things that were previously free.

While it's a model that's to be applauded, I think it's time you had another look at possible methods of extra revenue generation. Given the monster size of boards.ie now compared to where it was even when I joined, I'd happily pay for extra functionality.

It's generally how web companies make their money. They give a core feature set away for free coupled with advertising - enough to get someone interested and generate a return user base, and then offer the premium features at a price. Obviously you know this already :) If the costs to the user were kept down you might get volume subs depending on what feature the person wanted.

- vB Search (XX euro)
    - Custom larger avatar (X euro)
    - Custom larger sig image (X euro)
    etc
    etc

I'd have no interest in paying, and it would make me not want to come back /shrug/
    I understand it's a problem, and a lot of sites fall victim to their own success... but ... bleh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

plenderj wrote:
    I'd have no interest in paying, and it would make me not want to come back /shrug/

I'm talking about paying for the best possible features - such as vB search versus BoardTracker, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I'm talking about paying for the best possible features - such as vB search versus BoardTracker, and so on.

Could we enable Search facility outside working hours? say between 6 and midnight. I think that would be good especially for the loyal Boards users!

• Advertisement
Advertisement