Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine tempature gauge problem

Options
  • 10-07-2006 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

This morning when I was driving to work I noticed the engine tempature gauge kept jumping from 0 to its normal reading and back to 0. My car is booked in for a service in 2 weks time and I was wondering is this anything much to worry about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Firstly I hope you not driving a Fiat Punto

It could just be a faulty thermostat. If you ever see the gauge acting funny turn on the heater full blast on hot in the car, is there is cold air coming out you have a problem with your cooling system and you must stop and have someone look at the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd imagine there is something wrong withe either the guage or the temperature sender unit. It's unlikely that the temperature is fluctuating that erratically.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Sauce

I drive a peugeot 307.
    What damage could be could driving on a faulty thermostat do?

After driving a while the gauge seemed to stop jumping up and down and stayed at its proper position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Driving with a faulty thermostat is harmless enough. Fuel economy will suffer, and your heater wont work properly. Sounds like it could be partially sticking. It's the first thing to check, and a new one will only cost €10

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Hey interesting concidence I drive a 01 307 2.0 HDI and late last year while in the UK the gauge did the old wild bouncing around business.

It was a faulty thermostat but what was happening was that the engine wasn't cooling property when stopped in traffric. Turn the engine on and leave it running on standstill to see if the gauge slowly creeps up past half way (can't remember the temp) if it does and the fan doesn't come on you have a problem but thankfully straight forward for a garage to replace the stat.

I was able to drive home but I made sure to turn the engine off when stopped in traffic.

• Advertisement

Sauce wrote:
    This morning when I was driving to work I noticed the engine tempature gauge kept jumping from 0 to its normal reading and back to 0. My car is booked in for a service in 2 weks time and I was wondering is this anything much to worry about.
    Is it jumping or is slowly creeping up as davidoco described? If its jumping its more indicative of an electrical fault.

If your unsure do as davidoco says and turn off the engine when stationary.

crosstownk wrote:
    Is it jumping or is slowly creeping up as davidoco described? If its jumping its more indicative of an electrical fault.

If your unsure do as davidoco says and turn off the engine when stationary.

It jumps. It hasn't gone over it normal position when the engine heats up. It just goes from here back to 0 and back again.

Sauce wrote:
    It jumps. It hasn't gone over it normal position when the engine heats up. It just goes from here back to 0 and back again.
    In that case it sounds like an electrical fault to me - possibly your temp sender. If it is it shouldn't be that much to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sauce wrote:

How quick are your "jumps". If its very quick, like a few seconds, then I agree with crosstownk. If it's slower, then likely a faulty thermostat, in which case you should get it sorted quickly coz if it sticks and the car overheats you could be facing a big bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Avns1s wrote:
    in which case you should get it sorted quickly coz if it sticks and the car overheats you could be facing a big bill.

90% of the time they stick open, which means there's no danger of overheating

• Advertisement

The jumps happen quickly.

I have my car booked in for a service in 2 weeks time. Will it be okay until then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

zuutroy wrote:
    90% of the time they stick open, which means there's no danger of overheating

Agreed, but what about the other 10%.....:rolleyes:

Advertisement