Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disgraced Zidane wins World Cup Golden Ball

• 10-07-2006 10:17am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Link here

More to follow.

Dont think he deserves it not because of the red card but because Canavarro was a better player

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Harsh on Cannavarro who performed excellently all through out the tournament,not just in 3 matches.Though to be fair Zidane was unreal against Spain and Brazil and Cannavaro had a relatively easy time in the early knockout stages.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Anam wrote:
    Harsh on Cannavarro who performed excellently all through out the tournament,not just in 3 matches.Though to be fair Zidane was unreal against Spain and Brazil and Cannavaro had a relatively easy time in the early knockout stages.

Has to be based over the whole world cup not just two games. I think they are giving it to him so that he can have a decent end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Great advert for world football...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Great advert for world football...:rolleyes:

Putting the red card aside he is a class player but other players had a better world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Twas obviously decided at half time then. A stupid decision and another reminder that FIFA is run by a crowd of muppets.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    Twas obviously decided at half time then. A stupid decision and another reminder that FIFA is run by a crowd of muppets.

According to the Beeb report, it was voted for by journos.

Really?? I should make a formal apology so.

Nah.

They just did it cause he's retiring so. Like award shows inventing awards when ever Michael Jackson is in town. It's embarrassing though, seeing the golden ball going to players/battering rams. Eirebhoy won't be happy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

kearnsr wrote:
    Has to be based over the whole world cup not just two games. I think they are giving it to him so that he can have a decent end

Spot on. This seems like a politically influenced decison. Too bad for Cannavaro, the lad has been a hero these last 4 weeks.

DaBreno wrote:
    Spot on. This seems like a politically influenced decison. Too bad for Cannavaro, the lad has been a hero these last 4 weeks.

In fairness, which would you rather, a WC medal or the votes of sports hacks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I think its an absoloute disgrace Cannavaro didn't get it, I thought the golden ball was meant to be judged on a players performances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

fade2black wrote:

The golden ball is voted for BEFORE the final its just not annouced till after it.

Zidane has given me endless pleasure over the years best player i will ever see in my lifetime.First one to condem him for what he did but we all make mistakes and i think had he scored that header in years to come he would have been mentioned in the same breath as Pele and Maradonna. I just feel really sad that this could end up being what he is remember for.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I think Zidane deserves it, he was an inspiration to the french team & was their main playmaker, its rare that a defender will ever get it ahead of a midfielder purely because you'll never get as much attention defending a goal rather than creating or scoring one. Respect on the peno, it takes a class player to chip one in a world cup final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Exactly. I'm sure Canavarro is distraught this morning at the news of not being voted the World Cups best player by some journalists :)

It seems the key to winning the Golden Ball is to play a blinder up to the last game but then have a complete nightmare in the final itself!

98 Ronaldo
    02 Kahn
    06 Zidane

Personally I'd like both!

Canavarro deserves both.

Pigman II wrote:
    Exactly. I'm sure Canavarro is distraught this morning at the news of not being voted the World Cups best player by some journalists :)

It seems the key to winning the Golden Ball is to play a blinder up to the last game but then have a complete nightmare in the final itself!

98 Ronaldo
    02 Kahn
    06 Zidane

Its cause the final doesn't matter its voted before it.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Pigman II wrote:

98 Ronaldo
    02 Kahn
    06 Zidane
    Should be the Golden Nut award. So say for instance Ireland are playing England in the 2010 World Cup Final and Rooney is there star man all the Irish journalists vote for Rooney he wins Golden Ball he misses penalty gets sent off for headbutting the referee and we win. You read it here first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Yep, He will just have to make do. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

opr wrote:
    The golden ball is voted for BEFORE the final its just not annouced till after it.
    I don't think that's the case. Five Live had a commentator talking about this this morning. He was eligible to vote and was going to leave casting his vote until just after the final whistle. However, when the final whistle blew he forgot all about voting with all the italian euphoria etc.

opr wrote:
    Its cause the final doesn't matter its voted before it.

Yes I know, but there's doesn't mean you automatically then have to play one of the worst games of your life in the final does it?

patmac wrote:
    Should be the Golden Nut award. So say for instance Ireland are playing England in the 2010 World Cup Final and Rooney is there star man all the Irish journalists vote for Rooney he wins Golden Ball he misses penalty gets sent off for headbutting the referee and we win. You read it here first.

I know it's just a "what if" but that's a unlikely scenario tho isn't it? I mean "England making it to the next world cup final"? C'mon now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Way to go Zizou!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

a disgrace. Cannavaro deserved it without a doubt. Whether Zizu got sent off or not, Cannavaro was by far the best player in this tournament. Zambrotta, Carvalho and Ayala close runners up...but then again they're defenders

Trilla wrote:
    a disgrace. Cannavaro deserved it without a doubt. Whether Zizu got sent off or not, Cannavaro was by far the best player in this tournament. Zambrotta, Carvalho and Ayala close runners up...but then again they're defenders

I dont think defenders have much chance of winning it. They gave it to Khan one year but I think that was a once off. FIFA just want flare players to win and the press must as well since they vote in it to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

fade2black wrote:
    Really?? I should make a formal apology so.

Nah.

They just did it cause he's retiring so. Like award shows inventing awards when ever Michael Jackson is in town. It's embarrassing though, seeing the golden ball going to players/battering rams. Eirebhoy won't be happy...

its based on points. and he would have had points deducted i assume for red card. Carnavaro had a great tournament but i thought Thuram defended magnifecently as well.

Especially a red card for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

A worthy end to a great career.

I don't think Cannavaro gives a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

:mad: Had 20 quid at 28/1 on Cannavaro, thought it was in the bag after the sending off. Strange how they can decide the player of the tournament before the tournament is over. Came back to bite them in the arshe. What a great advert for one of the most watched sporting events in the world.

btw, why is he disgraced?
    Wow, he got a red card in his last match, but ultimately, who gives a ****? He is still Zidane.

garred wrote:
    :mad: Had 20 quid at 28/1 on Cannavaro, thought it was in the bag after the sending off. Strange how they can decide the player of the tournament before the tournament is over. Came back to bite them in the arshe. What a great advert for one of the most watched sporting events in the world.

Sick for you ...... but i would say their are a few happy punters out thier today Zidane was 66-1 after the first game to win it !!

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Wow, he got a red card in his last match, but ultimately, who gives a ****? He is still Zidane.

I completely agree with you but i do think this is now one of the things he will be remembered for and thats sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I think when people remember Zidane this will be the first thing that comes to mind, especially as it was his last game and there had been such a build up to it!

http://tonaz.altervista.org/zidane.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

PHB wrote:
    Spot on.
    'Disgrace' line fits a news story in an otherwise dull WC, and a final that France lost more than Italy won.
    ZZ got sent off (where the ref could have issued a yellow). Lots of players get sent off. There's been far too much self-righteous tut-tutting about this.

Well the manner of his red card is a disgrace. Not a double booking, not a last ditch tackle, dissent....but for a headbut to another player. Not one of your eyeball to eyeball butts but the vicousness of it was a bit much (too many buts in that sentence). With the world watching this was a disgrace to a player who has seen and done it all before. I'd love to know what was said to him.

The prize was decided by media votes, cast before Zidane was shown the red card. Zidane received 2,012, Italian captain Fabio Cannavaro finished second (1,977) and his team mate Andrea Pirlo was third (715).

Look at the margin of vicotry. If it had of been done after the match would he still have won?

source

garred wrote:
    Well the manner of his red card is a disgrace. Not a double booking, not a last ditch tackle, dissent....but for a headbut to another player. Not one of your eyeball to eyeball butts but the vicousness of it was a bit much (too many buts in that sentence). With the world watching this was a disgrace to a player who has seen and done it all before. I'd love to know what was said to him.

Yeah been all over the net to see if anyone has got hold of what was said nothing. I wonder will we ever find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Cannavaro deserved it , whether votes were cast before or after the final he still deserved it but most people can't appreciate defending/defenders as much as they appreciate attacking play/midfielders/forwards .

Pretty much none of the attacking players stood out in the tournament but Zidane was above the rest of them . Plenty of defenders played very well but Cannavaro was easily enough the best of them(honourable mention to Thuram who was the second best defender and would deserve the Golden Ball more than Zidane) . However fairly good attacking performance from Zidane v masterclass of defending from Cannavaro = Zidane player of the tournament , it being his last game also came into it but a lot of journalists just won't vote for a defender no matter how good .

Other little things:
    Golden Shoe (top scorer): Miroslav Klose (Germany)

Most Entertaining Team: Portugal

Best Goalkeeper: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)

Best Young Player: Lukas Podolski (Germany)

Since when did it start being called the Golden Shoe and not the Golden Boot ?.....seems just wrong .

Germany and Argentina were much more exciting than Portugal .

Buffon deserved it .

Lahm was better than Podolski and that's just looking for a better young player in the German team so I'm sure there are others much more deserving than Podolski . But Lahm couldn't have won it anyway after all he's a defender..........

johnos wrote:

ZZ got sent off (where the ref could have issued a yellow).

You must be having a laugh. Off coure he should've got sent off

Another thing that annoys me is that supposely the 4th offical made the decision after seeing a replay on one of the monitors.

Now i know the correct decision was made but Video evidence is not used in football at the moment and you can't have one rule for one match and another for the next one !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

opr wrote:
    Another thing that annoys me is that supposely the 4th offical made the decision after seeing a replay on one of the monitors.

Now i know the correct decision was made but Video evidence is not used in football at the moment and you can't have one rule for one match and another for the next one !!

The important thing is the right decision was achieved , it doesn't matter how it came about . Would anybody (except those with a betting interest on France) rather that the 4th official said nothing and Zidane got away with it ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

zidane29b.gif

:D

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote:
    The important thing is the right decision was achieved , it doesn't matter how it came about . Would anybody (except those with a betting interest on France) rather that the 4th official said nothing and Zidane got away with it ?

Yeah but world cup's have been won and lost in the past due to not using video technolgy. If it had been used in the whole competition who's to say we would not have 2 different teams in the final ?

Example - Argentina penatly.

You can't pick and choose when to make the right decisions. In this tornament video was not to be used and if it wasn't actually seen by the officals i think Zidane should have stayed on the field.

I agree. If ZZ had of stayed on the pitch and scored the winning penalty this could of been the last straw for those against the idea. I just can't understand why it is'nt introduced yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Big Ears wrote:
    Most Entertaining Team: Portugal
    Surely a typo must be:
    Most Entertaining Team in the Olympics (diving section): Portugal
    or
    Most hated Team (as voted by the english Media): Portugal.
    If it's true then it's a bigger disgrace than the Zidane award, only Switzerland, England, Ukraine, and the USA were more boring IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Pretty f*cking stupid thing for Zidane to do... He played pretty good, scored a few goals, and was set to retire as a hero in France. I'm sure he'll still be remembered as one of the greats, but this certainly ends his contribution on a very sour note.

johnos wrote:
    ZZ got sent off (where the ref could have issued a yellow).

This planet you come from, is it far far away?
    opr wrote:

FIFA have denied that, I posted a link in the match thread.
    Big Ears wrote:
    The important thing is the right decision was achieved , it doesn't matter how it came about .

Really? What if no official had seen it, but the Italians surrounded the referee and he issued a red card as a result?

What if somebody on the Italian bench managed to convince the 4th official that it happened and he told the ref but wasn't sure himself?

The important thing is that the rules of the game are adhered to, if that means a player gets away with a transgression then so be it.

Most Entertaining Team in the Olympics (diving section): Portugal
    or
    Most hated Team (as voted by the english Media): Portugal.

Portugal are only hated by the English cause they knocked them out, they did as much diving as Italy, France and any of the other top teams in reality, it's just the BBC have rammed it down your throat.

They were the most attacking team in the world cup, and if they had had a decent striker, there woulda been goals galore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Are we any closer to finding out what Matterazzi said to him.. :confused:

I'm sure there are some Italian lip-readers that would have been able to figure it out from the video footage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

According to L'Equipe, he was called a terrorist. Zidane's agent has said it will all come out over the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

jonny24ie wrote:
    zidane29b.gif

:D
    Funny :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

This planet you come from, is it far far away?
    Yes. It is zillions of light years away. From the hysteria generated elsewhere and on this board by football's ludicrous moral majority, in the absence of anything otherwise noteworthy from one of the dullest WC winning performances yet seen.
    He nutted the mouthy coward - one of a gallery of them in this competition - in the chest, not in the head. It hardly rates as extreme violence. Try some science and get a mate to do it to you: you'll find that the sternum is a sturdy piece of anatomy and doesn't have too many nerve endings,: a blow with a blunt instrument like a footballer's noggin doesn't do enough damage to have you listed as a contender for the Golden Grimace/Wonder Writhe Award. At least not in earth gravity.
    You'd think he'd knocked his bloomin' block off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement