Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

110V to 220V converter

• 10-07-2006 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

I need to power up a 110V thingie.
    Where can I get an adapter from 110V to 220/240V?
    Peats dont seem to stock em

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

You're looking for a transformer. What wattage is the thingie you are trying to power?
    I have one I'm not using, think its 100W or so.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Most electrical stores should have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ehh Peat's do stock them. The 45W is 19.99 and the 100W is 29.99 and there are 300W, 500W and others available.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

One issue to watch for is that transformers don't change the frequency, so anything that depends on the frequency (50Hz here, 60Hz in the US) like some CRT TV's won't like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

skorn wrote:
    I need to power up a 110V thingie.
    Where can I get an adapter from 110V to 220/240V?
    Peats dont seem to stock em

You'll have to clarify your question.

Is your thingie rated at 110v?

Because you will want to ask for a 220v to 110v step down transformer, rather than a 110v-220v transformer as you will blow it.

If you can tell us what your thingie exatly has on the label, ie wattage, voltage and hz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Also as most doesn't convert frequency (tricky process), if your device is something with a clock in it, it may loose time as the frequency regulates time keeping in some devices...

Advertisement