Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fellow auctioneer hepcats

Options
  • 10-07-2006 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Price listings on http://wow.allakhazam.com not enough for you? (they're not for me because you can't filter by server and apparently people in the states have more money than sense). Try http://www.wowecon.com/. I'm somewhat dubious about some of the figures but perhaps that's due to a shortage of data at the moment. There's a semi intersting study on optimal bid/buyout price ratios also (most people would probably be just more interested in the conclusions at the bottom - of which probably only 1 was interesting [don't set bid/buyout at 50%]).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I wouldn't trust any website for market prices - prices fluctuate too much from server to server and from day to day. You really need to get the auctioneer add on http://auctioneeraddon.com/. This requires a bit of discipline to use - you need to scan the AH every day to build up a database pf prices. It has a handy tooltip so you can easily see the market value of loot your pick up on your travels. As always you need a bit of commonsense to use it well (people sometimes try and scam the market) but if you use your head and play the market you can make more money playing the AH than from questing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WTF_L2P_n00b

I use Auctioneer. I spend 1/2 hour to an hour a day in the AH and make between 200-1000G each week depending on luck and how much time I devote to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What do you do with that much gold? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WTF_L2P_n00b

I only tend to bother making the Gold when I need it.

I tend to just make enough to cover repairs, pots for raiding etc atm. I made a good pile over the last few weeks so I could by the parts (bone fragments etc) for the epic AD Trinket and Necklace.

As a amge the Talisman of Ascendancy rocks......it adds more dps than the ToEP (Talisman of Ephemeral power) and the Zandalar Hero charm......it is however only better than them for PvE not PvP due to the nature of how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ripcat

Using Auctioneer to play the AH is a great way of making money, if you have the temperment for it. I used it for months until I managed to lose all my scan data and I havnt used it since. I'll probably fire it back up again soon and start trading again. You do need to be comitted enough to run a scan every day for 3-4 weeks before you start trading, so if you need gold now, I would auggest buying it ;) $70 for 1500G is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

epic flying mounts are gonna be at least 2000 gold...so start trading now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ripcat

haha 2000G?

god it was a struggle to get oen for my mage, stil trying to get one for rogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Er I mentioned auctioneer specifically in the subject of the post heh. The problem with auctioneer is it tells you the price items have been observed on auction, which is only a little indication of their value and no indication of whether they sold or not.

Classic examples of this are the grey loot that you can get in AV, those were showing in auctioneer with values of like 100g for a while at the start. This is because people would put them on auction for that price (but no one presumably would buy them).

wow.allakhazam.com in particular works off the prices people have actually paid for items. The problem with it however is that it doesn't allow you to filter by server (ie prices shown are from American and EU servers). This new site allows you to select your exact server and (presumably) only see prices for that server.

Does that mean I won't run /auctioneer percentless anymore? Of course I will, but websites like this are definately a useful resource if you'd like data to backup a particular auctioneer price, or check prices for items you haven't yet observed on the AH, or of course if you want to check prices from work *ahem*.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Auctioneer can only give you median prices and is independant of present market conditions. Sometimes you just have to ignore what it's telling you. :)

Very useful tool though if you know what it's doing. If you take it as a suggested bid/buyout tool then it's not being used properly tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Dont suppose anyone would like to give us all some tips on how to get started making money on the AH? Its something I'd love to get into but I dont even know where I to start :(

I have Auctioneer and use it pretty regularly, but that really only allows me to figure out what I should be selling but not what I could buy and resell to make money ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

There's something in auctioneer that will show you potential proftable auctions but auctioneer's inherently flawed. I love it, but it's all based on what it sees.

What I mean by this is that on my current realm, which is rather new, prices are all very low, so auctioneer reflects this... It can't judge what something would be worth normally.

On my current realm, things will sell for f all money, because the gold buyers aren't that common (yet) and most people are poor. I only have 12 gold myself. :p

Of course, if you're on an established realm, auctioneer's grand, as prices will remain fairly steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

After you do your auction scan, do /auctioneer percentless and look for items that satisfy all these conditions (there are some command line options to help you filter these, or if you use the recent updates to the auctioneer you can do your search using the new gui tab which allows you to enter the below conditions yourself):
    - items with a large discount (I go for 40%+) [if an item is on buyout for 199g, and auctioneer believes it to be worth 200g based on what it's seen before, this would not be a good item to go for as you are taking on too much risk for just 1g]
    - items where the difference between auctioneers value, and the current item price is greater than a certain amount (you don't want to be bothered looking at items where the profit is 1c), I don't bother with items where the expected profit is less than 1g but it depends on your current funds.
    - Lastly, and this is the trickiest, examine each item which satisfies the previous conditions and try to determine if there is a real profit to be made. One way is to look at the bid prices, if the current buyout is less than auctioneer's observed bids, then it looks good. After a while you'll notice certain items which sell well, and some which just don't sell. Another thing to do is to search for other items like this on the auction. If auctioneer is telling you it thinks the item is worth 10g, but this item is showing at 2g, and you do a search and there are like 10 of the items all at around 2g from different sellers, I'd lose interest (some items change in value because quest requirements change between patches, or the item stats have lowered etc). I also generally try to avoid crafted items if the profit is small because they can be churned out by crafters at a loss to level up so you can end up stuck with them for a while. Another thing to look at is the bid percent, if this is very low, it suggests that the item is not bought very often, so only a small number of people want it (even though the values may be correct), you may end up having to relist this a few times to offload it so don't be looking for quick profits with it (the opposite is true for items with high bid percents of course).

Also try /auctioneer bidbroker and just look for items going in the short term following similar rules to the above.

Enchanters should also try /enchantrix percentless and /enchantrix bidbroker for disenchanting excitement.

Advertisement