Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio=****

• 10-07-2006 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else lost faith in the radio completely?Either youve got some bloody Pop crap mixed with a truckload of ads and some bland DJ telling you that its the best city in the world were living in or constant,and i mean constant,news.
    On top of this theyve cancelled both John Kelly and Rattlebag.Makes me sick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Seems to me that they are just playing what pulls in the listeners . So is it a case that society = ****e and not radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

weeeellllllllll,i suppose you could look at it like that but for example Rattlebag has a lot of dedicated listeners and RTE are still cancelling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I agree actually. I can't listen to it at all, phoney DJs talking crap, playing crap music. I used to be so passionate about radio but two stations in Waterford succeeded in beating the love out of me. (Stand up WLR and BEAT FM) I long for the day when we hear a DJ with personality who can just talk to ya rather than talk at ya. There are one or two djs who can do this (All on TodayFM) but in general, it's all nonsense.

well i would see why RTE would cancel a show thats pulling in the €€€s . What was the timeslot for the show? Perhaps they just feel like moving in a different direction.

After Joe Duffy(who i hate) monday to friday i think, about 3,4 o clock that area

• Advertisement

Thats a Primo slot, but you should be logging into 97.3fm :D to listen to me! However yeah I find it very difficult to listen to the pussycatdolls ....eghm I mean radio today. Too many adds, too many unimaginative DJ's (with the exception of Ray Darcy) and terrible homogenous playlists.

It seems radio stations are focusing on putting their resources into terrible competitions to keep listeners attracted rather than producing decent radio stations.

PS: 98fm let the fugitive die!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

To be honest I gace up on radio a long time ago...The type of music I like just isn't played and if I do like a few songs that are popular, they are so overplayed or overhyped that I begin to hate them!

Pirate radio is where it's at - Used to listen to Magic FM in Limerick until there was a bit of an incident :)

Also - why when travelling are there black spots where it seems that no radio signal AT ALL can be found, the country isn't that big...

CDs and MP3s for the future!

🤪

incidently,who sold their soul to meteor?it seems like every time i turn on any station i hear 'Calls only 5cent,Yeah texts too!'

used to listen to phantom late at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The only radio I listen to is Lyric FM. Why listen to the radio when I have all the music I'd ever want to hear on my MP3 player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Aard wrote:
    Why listen to the radio when I have all the music I'd ever want to hear on my MP3 player?

that's precisely why all the major networks in america (infinity, sirius etc. etc.) are switching to talk, but giving a couple of hours a week to dedicated shows (the rock show, the chart show etc.). if newstalk is successful with an all-ireland license, i can see scottish radio holdings or whoever follow this model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

i still get a buzz listening to the radio if a really good song comes on that i wouldnt have played myself on the mp3 player. actually listening to alice cooper show saturday evening, he played a good few songs that hit the spot! fair play to him :D
    that's precisely why all the major networks in america (infinity, sirius etc. etc.) are switching to talk, but giving a couple of hours a week to dedicated shows (the rock show, the chart show etc.). if newstalk is successful with an all-ireland license, i can see scottish radio holdings or whoever follow this model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

People have been listening to vinyl records, tapes, CDs, Minidiscs, MP3 players for years and years but somehow radio survives, maybe due to its human interactivness and music somehow sounds better on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Does anybody actually listen to the radio at home? I only ever listen to it in the car.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I'll listen to it at home on the PC occasionally, or when I'm reading it's nice to have on in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I hear there is loads of news and current affairs programmes on the radio????

Is this true????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The radio is on in my kitchen most of the time, but I'd never set out to listen to the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I love listening to the radio whenever I can but...it's usually on the web and it's usually PodCasts of shows I like.

Nothing bugs me more than the same chart tripe being pumped out from 9 inthe morning until 9 at night.

NewsTalk has it's problems but it has some good shows. Rattlebag, I loved and would like it back please RTE thank you very much :)

I love my Sunday Business Show and Sunday Supplement on Today FM. Great show even if some of the people on it talk some crap, at least they are talking crap about intelligent subjects.

Unlike the DJs on fm104, 2fm and 98fm who specialize in the school of "Oh, we are so cool, funny and hip man, listen to how funny I am, I laugh at my own jokes and exchange witty banter with my fellow useless DJ".:mad:

I like the model suggested by projectmayhem, I loved radio in Florida, easy to find stations worth listening to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭TiwstaSista

r3nu4l wrote:
    I love listening to the radio whenever I can but...it's usually on the web and it's usually PodCasts of shows I like.

Podcasts are buttocks but you can really get some amazing radio stations out there for free over the web. I recommend some of the thai stations for that 50's kitsch meets hardcore techno.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Podcasts are buttocks but you can really get some amazing radio stations out there for free over the web.

I like Talk radio only I'm afraid so it's all BBC4, NewsTalk106, OneWord radio (a channel 4 subsiduary for lovers of literature:)) and some of the Clearwater/St. Petersburg stations in Florida for me. Oh, and as I said earlier, Sunday Business Show and Sunday Supplement (podcasts usually as I'm otherwise occupied on Sundays and can't listen to them live).

A case of some podcasts are 'buttocks' rather than all I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

Podcasts are buttocks but you can really get some amazing radio stations out there for free over the web. I recommend some of the thai stations for that 50's kitsch meets hardcore techno.

:D

have to say that the fact that you can download shows in mp3 format and play them in your own time is absolutely brilliant. it's like when you used to tape something off the radio and play it back over and over, excep this is way -less messier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

Radio suck a*s anyway in general. I prefer to listen to what I want, and not what some douche tells me is cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

Newstalk has brought my interest back to radio a hell of alot also theres a couple of great shows on Lyric FM aswell and in general the irish current affairs stuff on all stations on Sundays and weekday afternoons is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've got an mp3 player, so I choose what music I listen to! The only station I listen to is Newstalk106 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Well I have my own radio show on Friday nights on a local community station so I tend to listen to that station quite a bit, despite me not being even slightly into half the shows.

I wouldn't say that radio is sh**e. Far from it. Every station is different - feel free to "shop around" - you're bound to find SOMETHING to grab your interest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I HATE talk radio, especially Radio One and double especially Joe Duffy - I can't even be in the same room when my mom is listening to him in the afternoon.

I love stations that play music, but it has to be good music

However, while I hate talk radio in general, i absolutely loooove Gerry Ryan. His is my favourite show and I could listen to him everyday. The man's great and it's always really really interesting, however crap the topic may be !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Yeah I much prefer talk radio. I'm looking forward to Newstalk going national so something will fill in the 3-5pm slot rather than John Creedon or whatever muppet is on 2fm or Today fm.
    It's so depressing turning on the radio hearing either rubbish music like Shakira or Black Eyed Peas or just as likely a bloody Vodafone ad or something. (There's something very annoying about Vodafone ads, be it on radio or television).

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, I look forward to Newstalk too, as an alternative to the crap that poses as popular music these days.

Now, if only Phantom FM or something of its ilk was going nationwide!

As it stands now, I listen to Matt Cooper in the evenings en route home.

Advertisement