Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Politicians & Age

Options
  • 10-07-2006 1:19pm

I'm completely clueless when it comes to irish politics. Frankly, I was interested when I was a young teenager, and lost interest due to lack any belief in the political parties.

Regardless. I was wondering what was the youngest age of a TD in Ireland, and also was there any age restriction on the place of President/Taoiseach? the reason i ask is that Irish politics seems to be run by men/women in their late 40's-late 50's (and into their 60's). Is there really much of a presence of politicians that are under 40?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'm completely clueless when it comes to irish politics. Frankly, I was interested when I was a young teenager, and lost interest due to lack any belief in the political parties.

Regardless. I was wondering what was the youngest age of a TD in Ireland, and also was there any age restriction on the place of President/Taoiseach? the reason i ask is that Irish politics seems to be run by men/women in their late 40's-late 50's (and into their 60's). Is there really much of a presence of politicians that are under 40?

Not certain about President but you have to be over 21 to run for TD and so the youngest possible Taoiseach would be 21 (but the chances of a first-time candidate being a party leader of a majority party is obviously highly unlikely).
    Not sure what age the youngest TD is, probably 30's.

Edit: According to the Wikipedia you have to be over 35 to run for President

Frankly I believe that 18 year olds should be allowed to run for TD; if 18 year olds are considered mature enough to put someone in office they should be considered mature enough to be in office themselves; I suppose I believe the same for president however it's as unlikely for an 18 yo to be president as it is for them to be Taoiseach.

I find that interesting, since doesn't the Taoiseach have more practical power than the President, who can only veto some bills (essentially a figurehead)?
    (I could be completely wrong about the power aspect).

thanks for the info on the age restrictions.

Advertisement