Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tool for checking headgasket?

Options
  • 10-07-2006 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi,

anyone know what the name of the tool that is used to check for a blown headgasket is?

How it works is, it takes up water from the radiator like a pipette or battery tester and it checks the levels of CO (Carbon Monoxide) in the water. If there's head gasket issues, it will tell you. If not, the head gasket is fine.

It's something you can use to check the headgasket before it really gets bad and starts showing bubbles while running.

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

get the cylinder compression checked, should give you an idead if its going on one or 2 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

thanks, but to save any confusion, I don't have an issue with my own head gasket.

I want to buy this tool and am trying to find out who makes it, what it's called, etc.

I don't need any advice on how to check for a dodgy head gasket. The thread is only about this tool.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

ah okay, sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AlanD wrote:
    thanks, but to save any confusion, I don't have an issue with my own head gasket.

I want to buy this tool and am trying to find out who makes it, what it's called, etc.

I don't need any advice on how to check for a dodgy head gasket. The thread is only about this tool.....

I think what you're talking about is an exhaust gas analyzer, or EGA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Its always about his tool !!!

** I am reluctant to put a smily or winky on this message....**

• Advertisement

exhaust gas analyzer could be the right one.....but most of them are for gaz suspended in air I reckon as opposed to gas suspended in water. Google is throwing up loads of them for me, so I'll keep checking.

Isn't this whole forum about men and their tools or tool extensions?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AlanD wrote:
    exhaust gas analyzer could be the right one.....but most of them are for gaz suspended in air I reckon as opposed to gas suspended in water. Google is throwing up loads of them for me, so I'll keep checking.

I think you can hold the EGA probe just above the coolant (keeping it dry), as if exhaust gases are leaking into the coolant they'll gather in the coolant reservoir even if there isn't enough to cause visible bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

I'm guessing this is what you are looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Block-Tester-Kit-Universal-Combustion-Leak-Tester_W0QQitemZ8075138793QQihZ019QQcategoryZ30922QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Block tester" - changes from blue to yellow when carbon monoxide present.

Darando, I think you may have found the exact tool I am looking for!! I'll check it out in more detail.

Thanks a million...

Advertisement