Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Olive Oil ?

Options
  • 10-07-2006 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see the "Hanging with Hector", the one with John Kenny of the "D'Unbelievables" fame ? TBH I don't find them all that funny myself, think you need to be from outside of Dublin but it was interesting all the same. One of the things they talked about was using good ingredients and the affect food has on your health (John Kenny had Cancer for a long time), there is a scene in the show where he goes into a shop of some sort and buys a five litre tin can of Olive Oil, claiming that its alot cheaper to buy it that way.

Anyone know a shop in the Dublin area that sells five litre tin can's of good Olive Oil .... there must be some ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

MDR wrote:
    Did anyone see the "Hanging with Hector", the one with John Kenny of the "D'Unbelievables" fame ? TBH I don't find them all that funny myself, think you need to be from outside of Dublin but it was interesting all the same. One of the things they talked about was using good ingredients and the affect food has on your health (John Kenny had Cancer for a long time), there is a scene in the show where he goes into a shop of some sort and buys a five litre tin can of Olive Oil, claiming that its alot cheaper to buy it that way.

Anyone know a shop in the Dublin area that sells five litre tin can's of good Olive Oil .... there must be some ?

I normally buy mine off the folks that sell the olives in Temple Bar market on a Sunday, it's extra virgin and I pay 29 euros at the moment for a 5l of very nice greek olive oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Yikes! 25 quid seems like alot, good to know people are actually doing the 5l litre can's but, thanks for the tip. Hopefully someone a little (just a little) cheaper will turn up.

I suppose now I think about it 25 quid prolly isn't too bad actually, considering its less than the cost of 5 1lt bottles.

MDR wrote:
    Yikes! 25 quid seems like alot, good to know people are actually doing the 5l litre can's but, thanks for the tip. Hopefully someone a little (just a little) cheaper will turn up.

I suppose now I think about it 25 quid prolly isn't too bad actually, considering its less than the cost of 5 1lt bottles.

Apparently the Italians had a terrible harvest this year, a friend of mine handed me a present recently of some very good quality Italian stuff that he was importing at 15 euro for 700ml and he was selling it for 25.

The Greek stuff that I get is just as good as that, I really like it, and it's not that bad if you even costed up the price of the Lidl stuff to 5l it wont be as cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Akimo's on Great Strand Street, deli on the Millenium walkway/Italian quarter, any cash & carry if you know someone w/ a card. :)

Many thanks for that will check out Akimo's,
    is it a shop or deli ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

A little of both. I went in yesterday to price it for you- €60! Might be better looking elsewhere. :)

Good grief ! Thanks for that, saved me a trip on Saturday morning.

MDR wrote:
    Good grief ! Thanks for that, saved me a trip on Saturday morning.

The price in Temple Bar market doesn't seem so extreme now really, hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Is there any place in Ireland where you can buy 'Canola Oil'? I see it mentioned a lot in US-based health food/recipe sites but I've never seen it for sale here..

Canola Oil=Rapeseed oil ... very common

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dunser

Guys

Be careful what Olive Oil you buy, I used to work for a major importer and a Lot of the cheeper oil is Pomace Olive Oil which is the scraps, stay away.
    A good spot to buy is Cash & Carry. Best brands are Don Carlos, Berio, Monini, Basso. Most Olive oil in supermarkets is around €8 for 1ltr

The stuff in Temple Bar market is Extra Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 non-irish

€25 for a 5l can is quite good price. I am from Spain, and used to bring my olive oil from home when possible, but not anymore..Prices are getting mad! It looks like not only did the Italians have a bad harvest, but the Spanish too, because it's around €5 per litre nowadays. I still get lucky sometimes though, my Dad often travels to the south, Jaén, and he buys it by the box (he might buy 20 litres in one go) and sometimes I manage to get some for free (have to be careful with it inside my case!)
    I recently start buying the Lidl one, and have to admit that I was surprise, as it's quite good. I know that you can get 5l of italian olive oil in the English market here in Cork, but haven't bought before, so not sure of the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

check out fallon and byrne in dublin, great shop all kinds of unusual mediteranian foods etc

http://www.fallonandbyrne.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

It's not Rapeseed Oil apparently, but developed from it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola

"After the war, demand declined sharply and farmers began to look for other uses for the plant and its products. Edible rapeseed oil extracts were first put on the market in 1956-1957, but these suffered from several unacceptable characteristics. Rapeseed oil had a distinctive taste and a disagreeable greenish colour due to the presence of chlorophyll. It also contained a high concentration of erucic acid, suspected of causing cancer if ingested in large amounts. Feed meal from the rapeseed plants was not particularly appealing to livestock, due to high levels of sharp-tasting compounds called glucosinolates.

Rapeseed had been grown in Canada (mainly Saskatchewan) since 1936. Canadian plant breeders took up the challenge to improve the quality of the plant. In 1968, Dr. Baldur Stefansson of the University of Manitoba used selective breeding to develop a low erucic acid variety of rapeseed. In 1974 another variety was produced with both a low erucic acid content and a low level of glucosinolates; this was dubbed Canola, from Canadian Oil Low Acid."

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

You'd be better off getting good Extra Virgin Olive Oil than any of that Canola guff.
    It's not that great.. It's just pimped up in North America (like all commercial products) as they grow alot of it.
    'Rape'seed sounds bad. Canola sounds new and catchy.

The fact that they engineered a previously poisonous plant to be less poisonous doesn't impress me.

Adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD) is a rare fatal degenerative disease caused by a
    build up of long-chain fatty acids (c22 to c28) which destroys the myelin
    (protective sheath) of the nerves. Canola oil is a very long chain fatty acid
    oil (c22). Those who will defend canola oil say that the Chinese and Indians
    have used it for centuries with no effect, however it was in an unrefined form.*
    (* taken from FATS THAT HEAL AND FATS THAT KILL by Udo Erasmus.)
    http://www.ithyroid.com/canola_oil.htm

Regardless, always strive for Extra Virgin Oils (it's cold pressed, less oxidation). As was said, other oils can be seconds and left overs. Oxidised oil is a good source of free radicals. Things that encourage cancers.

Cavistons in Glasthule in south Dublin have the 5L tins of Extra Virgin Olive oil for 29.95 (It's that in Temple bar too AFAIK.. someone misquoted 25). Light exposure oxidises oil pretty badly. The tins are obviously useful in this regard...

Ok I have the Drum of it here in front of me.
    5l Hellenic Gold
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Superior category olive oil obtained directly from olives and solely by mechanical means.

29 Euro.
    The price might have changed, the first time I bought one was a few months back and it was 27 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭calistro

I have a small (4 acre) Olive grove in southern Spain where after 4 years of renovating the delapidated olive groves we got our first harvest of 600Kg (miniscule amount). This year we hope to have a harvest of approx. 1200kgs. Our olives are certified organic and together with other small farmers in the area we get our olives pressed and bottled in our local co-op www.agrocastril.com.
    100% Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I still live in Ireland (thank you recession) but travel back and forth during the year to keep the grove and farmhouse running. The oil is nothing like what is available in supermarkets here, I have it on my toast most mornings and it has a slight peppery taste, amazing as a salad dressing and extremely good for your system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Emerson wrote: »

Regardless, always strive for Extra Virgin Oils (it's cold pressed, less oxidation). As was said, other oils can be seconds and left overs. Oxidised oil is a good source of free radicals. Things that encourage cancers.

You shouldn't cook with extra virgin for those reasons.

OP have you tried any of the local ethnic shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Thread is 4 years old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭calistro

Thread is 4 years old?

Just because you can count don't make ya Yoda! What's your point. Is there a sell by date on the internet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thread is 4 years old?

damn, didn't notice that.

Advertisement