Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 first to launch 3G network in Ireland

Options
  • 10-07-2006 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

In time for Christmas 2003 no less.

15 Dec 2003:
    O2 Ireland Switches on 3G Network
    O2 Ireland today announced that it has exceeded its regulatory requirements for the introduction of its 3G service and has commenced limited services among selected business and individual customers. O2's 3G network coverage extends to more than 35% of the population and covers major urban centres such as Dublin city and county and the cities of Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford and Kilkenny. O2 will continue expanding its 3G network across the country.
    In addition to voice services, initial applications will include high-speed internet access at speeds significantly faster than dial-up, ISDN or GPRS connections, as well as video messaging and other multimedia services.
    Danuta Gray concluded: "We are pleased with the progress we have made in building an extensive 3G network and making it available to a limited number of customers.
    With a limited commercial 3G network now available, O2 Ireland becomes the only mobile operator in the Irish market offering a wide range of wireless technologies to suit different types of customers and situations including GPRS (2.5G), Wi-Fi and now, 3G.

Source:
    http://www.umts-forum.org/servlet/dycon/ztumts/umts/Live/en/umts/News_3GArchive_2003_OctDec_Article151203b

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

How can you tell ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Sponge Bob wrote:
    How can you tell ???

Why by the mammoth range of 3G handsets available at the o2 online store of course! Take a look at this beauty. One of, if not the shiniest, 3G handset to ever grace this land. If you're not convinced, you can even get a spiffy red xpress-on™ cover for only 20 euros. You'll be enjoying crystal clear video calling and high speed downloading in no time at all.*

*Terms and conditions apply. Squinting may be required to see video calls clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Are you sure thats a 3g handset? Doesn't look like it from the specs...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ehh....

i think he was messing...

Basically, I think it's rather odd that since O2 were the first to launch their 3G network, at least officially, they aren't even offering any service yet (I've heard very little since they hooked up 25 customers some 3 years ago).

There has been a bit of recent news on ENN here, which at least seems to indicate that they are now planning to offer a service: possibly in a few months. Nevertheless, it amuses me that it has taken so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ha ha their even slower at eircom with their rolling out of broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

O2 are being very cautious about 3G stuff. Seems the demand for 3G products isn't exactly though the roof and there has yet to be a killer ap for it. I really can't see Videocalling taking off and 3G handsets are generally bulkier and use way more power than their 2.5G cousins. Also, call quality on Vodafone 3G can be patchy.. the fallback onto GSM isn't necesarily smooth i.e. if coverage is bad and you're on 3G you may actually drop the call as it won't handover to the 2.5G network seamlessly. They're totally independent of eachother!

It's nice for high speed access for internet stuff though..

I'd say when O2 launch a 3G product, it'll be really well developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Solair wrote:

Yeah like that kid in 6th class primary school that gets held back for 5 years.

Solair wrote:
    O2 are being very cautious about 3G stuff. Seems the demand for 3G products isn't exactly though the roof and there has yet to be a killer ap for it. I really can't see Videocalling taking off and 3G handsets are generally bulkier and use way more power than their 2.5G cousins. Also, call quality on Vodafone 3G can be patchy.. the fallback onto GSM isn't necesarily smooth i.e. if coverage is bad and you're on 3G you may actually drop the call as it won't handover to the 2.5G network seamlessly. They're totally independent of eachother!

It's nice for high speed access for internet stuff though..

are you sure? because im sure loads of times in the car ive moved in and out of 3G signals during calls

though im with 3 i would of assumed vodafone would be the same?

I've a Sony Ericsson V600i with Vodafone, and it seems to handover between 3G (UMTS) and GSM fine so far. I've read some of the earlier handsets had problems with dropping calls, though. I should add that I only recently got a 3G handset, so I haven't tested it extensively, and this is only a first impression.

I think you had a point about 3G handsets as recently as a year ago, but at this point there are loads of good quality ones that are compact and offer reasonable or good battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I could of swore I was using an O2 3G datacard!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Basically O2 went very cagey after what they percieved as the flop of Vodafones launch. Their main use of 3g is business use- XDA exec, 3g data cards- and Imode, such as the z320i, which allows for pretty speedy usage. Not defending their position, just explaining it.

I will say when people ask for things like video calling, but when you tell them it isnt launched on 02, they dont actually give a damn. Same with mobile tv. Most of the time, same with imode. Irish people dont actually seem too interested in 3g!

Sparky-s wrote:
    I could of swore I was using an O2 3G datacard!

How is the coverage on that? I ask as I have only been able to pick up Vodafone and 3's 3G networks so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If ComReg's mast map is anything to go by, it must be desperately bad. I can't imagine O2 is spending much anything on their 3G network seeing as they're doing nothing with it. This matching Voda's 3G card price is a bit of joke as Voda's coverage is in a different league.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

SDooM wrote:
    Irish people dont actually seem too interested in 3g!

Minister Dempsey, is that you?!

zenith wrote:
    Minister Dempsey, is that you?!
    brilliant absolutely brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

How is the coverage on that? I ask as I have only been able to pick up Vodafone and 3's 3G networks so far.

Excellent IMO

It also seems to cover areas where the vodafone card can only get gprs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's not just Irish people who aren't too interested in 3G... So far there is no "killer ap". The vodafone flat rate broadband anywhere offer is more likely to drive demand than 3 and Vodafone's video phone stuff.

When it comes to a phone, the main driving factors tend to be size and call quality and possibly a decent camera / mp3 player built in. Video calling doesn't really rank that highly at present.

In fact, Videophones in general were never a huge success despite the technology having been available for landline versions for quite some time no one seems too interested in them.

Even on the internet, when you consider how easy it is to video conference, your average person doesn't use it that often for normal communication.

It's one of those things you use once or twice, go "cool" and never use again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

For clarification, I've deleted trolls from XJ111, and responses to them. Needless to say, XJ111 is banned.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Solair wrote:

Even on the internet, when you consider how easy it is to video conference, your average person doesn't use it that often for normal communication.

It's one of those things you use once or twice, go "cool" and never use again.

That and I'm way to ugly to want to force my mug on people :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement