Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect fees: Cork city new build

Options
  • 10-07-2006 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Any idea on what percentage do architects typically charge for new builds in the cork area?

My mate got a quote of 10% on a 2000 sq. ft house in the city which was a surprise to him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

hi
    not giving a short answer but how long is a piece of string.

if you want an RIAI architect you'll pay anywhere from 8% to 12% of the total build cost.

Without seeing the plans and assuming a typical house and level site using a very rough estimate 2000sq ft = 200K build cost (self build - no contractor)

In this case your architect fees would be 20K most likely a bit less.

what services are being provided? is it design only ??

you can get a person or draughtsman to draw up your plans and submit & supervise your planning application for you this will cost about 3000Euro maybe a bit more (depending on how many changes to design you want)

Project management for the build would cost in the region of 8K (minimum)
    if you can do it yourself better still.

Inspection at various stages say approx 400Euro minimum of 5visits 2000euro

so doing it on the "cheap" it'll cost 13K or if you project manage yourself you're looking at 5K

it all depends on the level of service you require and most important pick an architect who you get on with!!! you'll be working with him/her for quite a while

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 corkonian0110

yeah, agree with De man on this one - you basically get what you pay for. I just went for planning in cork 2 weeks ago after approx 6 months of trying to decide on a house design/layout with herself. We did the whole house plans book buying etc to give us an idea of whats out there. In the end we went with an engineer costing E2000 for the plans and application, with the engineering side priced on site visits etc - approx 2000,2500 Id say.

Majority of Architects are overrated imo...I come across enough clueless ones at work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Majority of Architects are overrated imo...I come across enough clueless ones at work :rolleyes:

So true I've seen some idiot when it comes to design Used to work for a carpenter that made a lot of stairs The ammount of screwups not leaving enough room for the stairs is awful. It's next to impossible to find good architects

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

dogg_r_69 wrote:
    So true I've seen some idiot when it comes to design Used to work for a carpenter that made a lot of stairs The ammount of screwups not leaving enough room for the stairs is awful. It's next to impossible to find good architects

have to agree to a certain extent especially with planning applications if you've got the budget get a second opinion on your drawings (i did)and take your time in completing them

Take a few weeks to think about them (after a month i thought of a laundry chute)...back to the drawing again:D

With a bit of luck you'll be in your home for a long time it's much easier
    to rub out a few lines rather than knock a few walls:D

i did find www.houseplans.com very helpful as well as the house design
    books by CWG in the book shops

a pint of plain is yer only man

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gor

lads thanks for the info + ideas

• Advertisement
Advertisement