Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat home alone

Options
  • 10-07-2006 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi there,

we have a new kitten (4mths old) who is a wonderfully lively cat and in good health.

We both work full time so can't be at home with her during the day, but there are lots of toys, access to water, food and litter tray.
    We also leave the radio on for her.

She is a well behaved cat and no trouble.
    Although sometimes she meows a good bit before we leave for work.
    Is there anything else we could do for her not to be bored during the day?

She is real active and we play / exercise with her a lot when we get home.
    It may be possible for a neighbour to come round now and then... but is it really necessary?

When we get home we can see she is just awake... and I'm sure thats what a lot of cats are happy to do... sleep during the day.
    But I cant help feeling perhaps she is sleeping to avoid boredom.

I am going to set a webcam up to keep an eye on her.. when BT get their act together with my phone line! (but thats another post!)

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Any chance you could get another cat/kitten? Especially if you're going to keep her as an indoor cat, and it's not really a huge amount of extra work once you have one anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

that would be a good idea - but we only want the 1 I'm afraid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Cats sleep for around 14-18 hours a day & they are most active during the night.

If you are concerned shes bored I would say get a second cat - they are hardly any extra work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I would definitly recommend a second cat. As Manny7 said, there really is no extra work with two and they would be great company for each other - and great entertainment for you! I have two cats and, although it doesn't happen often, I am happy to leave them for 24 hours on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

What is the reason that you only want one?
    A cat is not a solitairy animal and how much you play with it, you're not a cat. Cats get bored very easily, so if you really love your cat you get a companion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

To follow up on what SMK said, you'll see a whole other side to your cat if you get another one - I grew up with just the one cat, and couldn't believe the difference now that we have a few, the interaction is great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

I agree with the other posters that having more than one cat is hardly any extra work. It's also no real added expense in case you're worried about that.
    I have three cats living indoors at the moment & have no problems at all. They really love each others company & I feel a lot better heading to work for the day knowing that they have each other.

If you're getting another cat, I would recommend that you get one as soon as possible as it it easier to introduce a new cat when your own cat is younger.

I got two of mine together (they're brother & sister) and then introduced an older cat a couple of months later. At first they were all a bit hissy as was to be expected but within a month they had settled down completely & all get on well.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

we are currently in rented accomodation... so 2 cats really isnt a great option.
    When it comes time to find a new house to rent we will have more trouble than just one cat.

When we buy a house 2 cats might happen, but not til then I'm afraid.

Would like to hear from people in a similar sittuation - who have the 1 and only cat in their lives.

Thanks for all advice so far cat lovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

I only have one cat at the minute (getting another one this evening though, yayyyy) anyway, my kitten is fine when she is at home on her own, we leave her food in the morning and when we get home she's fine, she charges about the house playing with obscure things (for some reason her most recent fascination is the plastic wrapper from cigarettes) so I don't think there would be any need for any more worry, I'm quite worried as to how the new kitten and her are going to get along but I'll find that out tonight, anyway with regards to your query, I think she'd be fine, if there was a problem I think you can usually tell by their personality, if she seems happy, I'd say she is.

Advertisement