Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Chip/Bark for flower beds

Options
  • 10-07-2006 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if i use bark on the flower beds, Do i need to put down weed control underneath ie black covering or will the bark stop the grass/weeds coming up through it.

opinions please:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Bark on your flower beds is like birth control for weeds.
    It is a barrier, weed seeds land on the bark and cannot touch the soil to germinate.
    It works well, however, the soil that you lay the bark on top of must be free of weed seeds and roots.
    Dont be fooled into thinking that weeds will be unable to push up through the bark.
    So, clean soil combined with a 7cm layer of bark is effective.
    Clean soil combined with a weed prevention fabric and a 5cm layer of bark is even more effective.
    You are really "Double-bagging" the job by using a weed prevention fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

cheers for the promt reply Irish Gardener.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

You read my mind Mr Daz, was going to ask the same.

Has anyone any idea what I should expect to pay for bark when bought in bulk. i.e lorry load.

i dont know how much it is per lorry load ...but most garden shops sell it for around 7-8 euros for a 25 litre bag....but i guess you need alot of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

A good tip is to collect loads of old newspapers (nothing glossy).
    Lay it down around your bed about 4 or 5 sheets thick (wet it first, to make laying it easier).
    Then spread your mulch over it.

It lets rain through, but weeds can't grow through it. It is a good cheap solution but will need to be re-done every 4 or 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Different gardes available, from Gracefield Bark, Athy (tel 087-275 6789) eg

Fine : € 27/m3
    Medium:€ 22/m3
    Mini: € 30/m3

Other rougher/coarser grades also available. Rates excl Delivery.

Also from Landscape Depot, Kiltipper, Tallaght (tel 01-451 2608) 3 m3 bag approx € 130 +, also available in 1m3 bags.

Do your calculations, 1m3 covers a large area.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do you have a solid/high border between your beds and the lawn?
    Otherwise they will mix and thats just a pain in the ass with the lawnmower...

yeah i have a path around the lawn ... one side touches the lawn and the other side touch the path. its well seperated. ..the lawn in the centre is circular , with the path running outside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

I've heard that the bark can be a haven for slugs and snails who will eat your plants. you could consider gravel as well - you have to use a membrane with that though.

Advertisement