Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to take down a fireplace?

Options
  • 10-07-2006 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I've got this white marble fireplace and I'd like to take it down. I've been told that they're fixed to the wall left and right about 10cm from the top. So I've got to hammer into the plaster to find the fixings. Is that the right way to go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Use a lump hammer and bolster to break away the plaster along the top and down the sides to reveal the fixings.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd use a bolster chisel rather than just the hammer. Tap the chisel in every 2cm along the side of the fireplace where you expect the lugs to be. Once you find it - clear off the surrounding plaster & undo the fixings. No point in bashing holes in the plaster with the hammer.

Be sure to have a few bodies around to help you with this! Those fireplaces can be very, very heavy. The last thing you'd want is the fceker to drop on you after you removed the fixings.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Thanks a mill guys, I'll have some hands handy and do the above. someone recommended I use a magnet to try and get to the metal fixings, which would save digging for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

use a crowbar

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Thanks for all the advice. I had a go at it last night, I've more or less chiseled a 1 cm gap around the whole fireplace and I found the two fixings to the wall. I do have a baxi firesystem, so next I have to ring the gaspeople to disconnect the whole thing and then I can take it out.
    Again I'll keep you posted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement