Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm question

Options
  • 10-07-2006 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine who works as an alarm installer for a reputable company has decided to give us a present when we move in to the new house in a month or so. This would be fitting an intruder alarm (with text facilities). Everything was fine with me and I was thrilled with the idea. On an unrelated search I was doing today I came up with this notion that if there is a break-inn and the alarm /or the fitter is not certified (and you have claimed yes)., this could get you into truuble. Am I right to say this? The guy does a brillian job (have seen how he works) but he personaly is not certified.

Is there an option where he would do the job and than I could call a company, get them to check everything and issue me with the certificate for insurance purposes. Of course, I would pay the company that inspects everything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

certified by whom? The "sector" isn't regulated as far as I'm aware. Who would be in a position to certify the alarm systme? I'm sure companies give out certificates, but I doubt its like it's like the gas/heating, where you have to be certified to install a boilder ect. Also what exactly does you're insurance require? usually it's a case of, have you an alarm, tick yes or no.. Is it monitored tick yes or no and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Carnivore wrote:
    certified by whom? The "sector" isn't regulated as far as I'm aware. Who would be in a position to certify the alarm systme? I'm sure companies give out certificates, but I doubt its like it's like the gas/heating, where you have to be certified to install a boilder ect. Also what exactly does you're insurance require? usually it's a case of, have you an alarm, tick yes or no.. Is it monitored tick yes or no and so forth.

Have not come to the stage where I will be ticking the q+a in insurance form but from what I reckoned, if something goes missing and one is making a claim, your insurer may ask you if you have a certificate that the alarm conforms to bla bla.
    I am open to corrections but that is what I though.
    Even in our current (rented) house, we had an attempted break in (managed to run downstairs as the b***rd was opening the door) and asked landlord for alarm to be fitted and suggested this friend who would do it for a fraction of the price. Landlady said no if he can not issue you with a cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Never heard of that before. And It would be interesting to know what authority companies have to issue certs. Might be that the insurance agency wanted a cert from a recognised company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I think it is the hardware that needs to be certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

If you are getting your alarm in a month or so then your friend will need to be registered with the PSA. This comes in to force in 01/08/06. If not you could be hit with a nasty fine for hiring an unregistered installer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

regedit wrote:
    A friend of mine who works as an alarm installer for a reputable company has decided to give us a present when we move in to the new house in a month or so. This would be fitting an intruder alarm (with text facilities). Everything was fine with me and I was thrilled with the idea. On an unrelated search I was doing today I came up with this notion that if there is a break-inn and the alarm /or the fitter is not certified (and you have claimed yes)., this could get you into truuble. Am I right to say this? The guy does a brillian job (have seen how he works) but he personaly is not certified.

Is there an option where he would do the job and than I could call a company, get them to check everything and issue me with the certificate for insurance purposes. Of course, I would pay the company that inspects everything.

Installation and Hardware must be certified and your friend if he works for a reputable company should know this. I know RECI electricians can certify (charge c € 250 for the signature) nixer work. IMO its a bit risky because who carries the can if something goes wrong?
    Beware Murphys Law - I would never do it!
    No doubting your friend can do the job, but without the cert you're wide open for insurers to refuse cover in event of a claim. Might sound harsh but its better for everyone at the end of the day. More regs - better QoS and fewer cowboys!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Yes you need to have a cert if you apply for the discount from your insurer which in my case was 10%. The alarm was installed before I moved in therefore I had no cert. Simple solution was that I didn't apply for the discount. Sure I was missing out on €40 a year, but thats nothing compared to the possibliity of invalidating your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

delly wrote:
    Yes you need to have a cert if you apply for the discount from your insurer which in my case was 10%. The alarm was installed before I moved in therefore I had no cert. Simple solution was that I didn't apply for the discount. Sure I was missing out on €40 a year, but thats nothing compared to the possibliity of invalidating your claim.

and the discount is only on the contents side of the policy. I don't believe that claiming the discount is worth the hastle you can get if you claim. " are you sure it was turned on....full guard or part guard...etc.
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

most ins companys only give 10% dis for a alarm, but beware even if you have the cert and but forget to set the alarm and are robbed they wont pay out.So skip the discount it aint worth it in the long run

Advertisement