Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone data cards vs PCI - Express slots

Options
  • 10-07-2006 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

got a laptop with a pci-express slot

wouldnt mind getting a vodafone data card but they are pcmcia cards

anyone know of an pcmcia adaptor or something like it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

eh... PCI express refers to the internal interface on your laptop's motherboard. It should still have a PCMCIA/cardbus slot. Mine does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I don't think that thread contains the answer, does it? I was actually looking for a USB PCMCIA adapter today and found plenty of examples of the opposite, ie a PCMCIA card that offers USB ports. I then grew a brain and realised that my laptop has a PCMCIA port...

That thread gives 3 solutions or, rather, workarounds. A USB>PCMCIA (16bit or 32bit), a 3G ExpressCard, and a wirless router with PCMCIA built in.

I think OP is confusing "PCI Express" with "ExpressCard", the external slot/interface that is found on new laptops (in place of PCMCIA/PC Card/Cardbus).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Where's the USB->PCMCIA solution dare I ask? I couldn't find one in that thread or anywhere else for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Vodafone told me they are in the process of testing a 3G ExpressCard, which will work with new laptops (like new Dell's, MacBook Pro's, etc).

There is no launch date set, but it will be in the coming months, and likely cost the same as a PCMCIA card. In the meantime, I think Dell sell a 3G ExpressCard already, which they told me even works on Mac's (Mac OS X already includes the drivers with the latest system update).

So basically, it's starting to come together. ExpressCard is the future, PCMCIA is the past. Unfortunately as with any transition to new technology, there are some teething problems, i.e. new cards are only now becoming available.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Where's the USB->PCMCIA solution dare I ask? I couldn't find one in that thread or anywhere else for that matter.

If you can't be arsed reading the 2 pages, I can't be arsed pointing you to the post in question. There's a link there for a USB 32-bit PCMCIA/PC Card reader/writer. It ain't cheap. There are cheaper 16-bit versions, but that rules out MobileConnect cards, from my reading of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

express card slots are very new, cutting edge stuff but they're supposedly superior to their predecessors, they're certainly a lot smaller.

Vodafone should be able to get an express card sollution fairly easily. They're available for similar services in the US and elsewhere and are certainly made.

I'd assume vodafone would want a branded one with a huge red antenna :)

Advertisement