Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Opinions

• 10-07-2006 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Well, was it a good World Cup in your opinion? For my money it was great, with plenty great goals, and good attacking games. We even saw a few entertaining stalemates.

Best matches (in no particular order)
    Mexico Vs Iran
    Argentina Vs Ivory Coast
    Argentina Vs Serbia
    France Brazil
    Italy Ghana
    Germany Vs Italy
    Spain Vs France
    Germany Vs Costa Rica

Best goals:
    Cambiasso Vs Serbia.
    Messi Vs Serbia
    Maxi Rodriguez Vs Mexico
    Henry Vs Brazil
    Grosso Vs Germany

The Good:
    Argentinas attitude to the game. Great footballing side.
    The South American referees. Miles ahead of their european counterparts
    Fabio Cannavaro
    Gnearro Gattusso
    Tevez
    The Stadia.

The dissapointing:
    T Henry is a diving cheat.
    Ronaldinho not living up to expectation.
    Spains ineptiude.
    Argentina literally losing the plot, and eliminate themselves from the World Cup.
    Zidanes end last night. A great player whose entire career we all saw, ending in such a stupid manner.

The horrible:
    England. Everything about them sucked. Rooney, Sven, Lampard. They were involved in 5 awful games, and went further than they deserved.
    Holland. Overhyped and over rated. Cynical fouling, and the usual infighting cost them dear.
    The fact it is over. What do we do know? What do we watch on the telly, and talk about at work tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It was a bit of a crap world cup imo, glad to see club football again, highlights the problems with the modern game.

For me this WC proved two things, Ronaldinho isn't as good as the greats, while Zidane is without a doubt a great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Better than 90 and 02. Was'nt too bad and it was on at a decent hour which was a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I thought it was a good world cup. A lot of people seem to think it dipped after the group stages but that's always the way. The players are more tired , the stakes higher and the opposition is tougher so you're never gonna much beyond scrappy encounters.

Best match was Germany v Italy.

Best goal was Cambiasso v Serbia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

this WC highlighted the cancer in the modern game, i.e. cheating. i'm sick of seeing guys fall on the ground clutching various parts of their body in AGONY only to hop up again moments later and "run off" the pain.

it was amusing when klinsman did it, but now it's just tired and detracts from the game.

poor tournament that VERY few new stars emerged from. the final was indictive of the the tournament - one or two good games, but on the whole it was poor.

the most exciting part of the final were the penos! sick of people moaning about them. they're great! generally speaking, it's about the most action pact 10 or so mins in a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I thought it was a very good World Cup, obviously with disappointments, but I think its flaws have been overemphasised.

Best matches (in no particular order)
    Italy Vs Germany
    Brazil Vs France
    Argentina Vs Ivory Coast
    Argentina Vs Serbia & Montenegro
    Argentina Vs Mexico
    Croatia Vs Australia

Best goals:
    Cambiasso Vs Serbia. That is all.

The Good:
    The Germans' hosting ability
    The Germans' attitude to the tournament
    The defending
    The general success of attacking football (Italy, France, Portugal and Germany semi-finalists)
    The goals
    The obvious fact that this tournament still means a lot to footballers
    Cannavaro - no man deserved that trophy more

The dissapointing:
    Brazil not really turning up
    Certain big name players not living up to reputation (Ronaldinho, Rooney etc) and others just being terrible (Lampard)
    Zidane's end
    Argentina's end
    Injuries denying big players total match fitness (Messi, Rooney, Totti etc)

The horrible:
    The diving, and the overreaction to it in the media
    The relative success of some defensive teams (SWITZERLAND)
    The standard of refereeing, although 'horrible' is a bit strong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

have to say I preferred 2002. The knockout stages were just so defensive. There were no great comebacks, chances were at a minimum. So many games finished one - nil or went to penalties. There very also very few shocks. France - Brazil was the biggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I liked this one actually or maybe its because I havent seen decent footie in sometime. I'll have to get upgrade my cable to get the premiership games. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Not a great exhibiton of football imo. Group stages where great cause of the goals, quality of games and the buzz of the world cup but that all faded in the knockouts (which was to be expected, but most of the games were really bad).

Best thing about it: Argentina in the group stages. The way it should be.

Worst thing about world cup: Diving and dirty play, Ronaldo (probably both now that I think of it), big players underperforming(esp. ronaldhino), lack of goals in the knockout stages.

Star of the world cup: That american fan in the stars and stripes bikini with the big jabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It was rather crap. I always believe that the knockout stages is where the the overall opinion will come from. Think back to 98 and the matches you think of were all in the knockout rounds.

Very disapointed with the knockouts, 1 or 2 good games, but not end to end battles. Goals are great but they don't define a great game to watch. Quality of football is more important.Unfortunately the knockouts lacked both.

Still better than that awful 2002 competition.

Advertisement